Fall 2014 Android Tablet Offerings - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 64 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I have read some debate that the processor in the new Nexus tablet requires less RAM than those in the Samsung Tab S models. Though I still think more is better, and 2GB seems low to me by the latest standard specs.

It wouldn't surprise me if Android changes to prevent apps from running off external memory. There are obvious security issues with this current arrangement. I primarily use my tablet for media playback and not gaming, so such a change would have little impact on me.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 08:12 PM
Veteran

I'm pretty disappointed with the Nexus 9. Most significantly the price. One of the best parts of the Nexus line used to be the price point. Now it looks like they're climbing up to match the others. Don't recall the specifics of the Nexus 6 phone but I think it was significantly higher than the Nexus 5.

Anyway back to the Nexus 9, not only is it expensive but it's big. I was hoping for something smaller like the Nexus 7 as well. Though now the Nexus 7 is gone from the Play Store.
post #63 of 64 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
I think the ability to install apps to sdcards might be disappearing. It's how Android is headed.
perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the change was just so that apps couldn't write to folders on SDcard they didn't own/create

if they create/own the folder it'll still work the same

or no?

post #64 of 64 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
I think the ability to install apps to sdcards might be disappearing. It's how Android is headed. Pretty crazy when some games are hundreds of MB. And even the devices with 16GB will advertise that like 11GB are usable.
I read that there's only 7gb left on the 16gb S tabs after the OS and bloatware Samsung installs on them. I'm not a big time gamer but I do install some adventure/puzzle games every now and then and would prefer a 32gb.

I can't seem to find any here in Montreal. Are any of you seeing 32gb models in the rest of the country and if so where?

I had the same problem when I bought my Yoga 2 Pro laptop earlier this year. All models here were 128gb max and had to buy the 256gb model on a business trip to Florida.

Tags
samsung s , tablets , xperia2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in