Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch

To be announced on September 9th
http://recode.net/2014/08/05/codered...ent-on-sept-9/
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/05/apple-iphone-event/

Going on sale on September 19th
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple...arrier_id56655

Even the specs are known...
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-6378.php
So much for doubling down on secrecy
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/29/30...cy-on-products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 07:55 PM
Veteran

The date is only a rumour at this time
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 09:31 AM

A well established Rumor by now. For some reason, Apple tends to release products... before the previous generation warranty expires (on september 20th).

Just got to work this morning to read about this. I was going to unpack my newly acquired Mophie Juicepack Plus (a warranty replacement from Mophie) for a newly acquired iPhone 5s (warranty replacement from Apple). Both took a death swim in the salt waters of the Gaspe coast a month ago!!!

I guess I'm not going to unpack given the close date and the resale value. And I've got to gain up on my sleep cause the night of September 19th will be a long one... just like it has been for the past five years around that time.

Not monstruous specs by any means but a bump nonetheless, can't wait to see the actual display.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

The last real (!) surprise Apple pulled out of their proverbial hat was the pricing of their first iPad.
All signs were pointing to a $1K starting price, give or take. Apple came in half as high.

Could it be that all the leaks and rumours about iPhone specs were just orchestrated?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/08...ples-iphone-6/
And when the day arrives, Apple will reveal something like this?

Can something like this happen in modern transnational economies?
Can you actually buy secrecy? If so, Apple has the biggest wallet of them all...

Cook runs Apple for 3 years.
And there were no "revolutionary" developments over this time.
The way I see it, if all the iPhone 6 rumours turn out to be correct, it will be a yawn-event...

According to St. Jobs, Cook is NOT a "product man" but a very efficient bordering with brutal executioner.
Can he change? Will he? Is this actually needed for Apple to prosper?

We have about a month to wait for those questions to be answered...
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 04:57 PM

Tim Cook is good at managing the supply chain while Johnny Carson (excuse me, Sir Jony Ive) oversees design. It now takes two strong minds dedicated in their fields to achieve a fraction of what Steve Jobs was able to accomplish on his own. I'll be very disapointed if next month' presentation is as disapointing as all previous events since the Fall of 2010.

For the time being, I'm sticking to the Apple echosystem for the elegant design and I do upgrade yearly because aside one or two days of sleeplessness a year, these toys hardly cost me a thing when you factor in the resale value of previous generation devices still under warranty.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 06:29 PM

I see the rumored specs list NFC but no micro SD.

Halfway there, I guess.
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 10:35 PM
Veteran

Let's face it, there's been no revolutionary movement in this space since the dawn of the iPhone era in 2007. Everything has been small evolutionary bumps, whether it be from HTC, Nokia or Samsung.

Apple for its part has maintained an edge with superior build quality and hardware specs which enable several years worth of iterative releases to run the latest OS, but it's still an iPhone.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I would add one footnote to this: until 2010 Android was catching up. Now it is the other way around.
From NFC, to wireless charging, to widgets (!), to size-does-matter...

And I am not talking about sideloading apps, mSD, mUSB, etc.
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-07, 01:38 AM

Realistically they just slapped a cellular radio in a palm pilot. Making it cool was the genius part
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-07, 09:09 AM
Veteran

^They did much more than essentially slapping a cellular radio into a Palm Pilot (or any other PDA at the time of its release). The overall user interface was way better than your typical PDA offered; multi-touch, the best software keyboard at the time, and of course the web browser! Not that competing products at the time didn't have a browser, but few (if any) could easily compete with what the iPhone could offer.

The problem is, Apple has not innovated nearly as much as the competition has, and that's been their biggest problem. While I don't see them turning into the next BlackBerry soon, they've really got to do something if they want to remain competitive in the market.
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-13, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

While getting Thailand's license to sell the next iPhone, new pictures got leaked
http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/13/two-ne...4-a1586-video/

It actually shows the (presumably) 4.7" handset is the same size as 5s/5c while noticeably thinner.
If true, the bezel on the handset must be significantly smaller than on the 5s.
Talking numbers, that would mean 0.73 screen-to-body ratio. Not bad...
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 09:27 AM

I don't believe this picture one bit. What passes as the 4.7 inch phone doesn't have antenna placement or what? No gaps between antennas are visible and don't tell me there all on the other side, look at the bottom unit and its big gaps. You'd think Apple could affoard that much gap.

Anyway, 25 more days to fuitition.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Good points. It's nothing but a dummy.
But I believe it must be very close dimension-wise...
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 01:28 PM
Veteran

It seems obvious that if Apple plans to release two iPhone 6 sizes (let's say 4.7 and 5.5 since these are the dimensions being kicked around), they will do whatever they can to keep the smaller one as portable as possible.

This means the body should be close in size compared to current models and the bezel will inevitably have to be much smaller. I even wonder if they will ever contemplate doing away with the home button being located on the from of the phone and moving it to the side of the phone (perhaps opposite side to the volume / lock buttons)?

But what I'm most curious about will be the larger (5.5-inch?) iPhone. I am ready for a phone this size so I can ditch my iPad Mini and finally shed my Galaxy screen envy
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

"Gigantic" phone is obviously a relative term, but a 5.5" handset doesn't have to be that big
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6294
and it makes a hell of a difference

In other words, you can increase the body surface by about 50% to get a screen bigger by about 90%.
If you add the pixel density difference, you can get more than 3 times the information on a QHD 5.5" screen...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in