Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Some neat stuff announced yesterday, the watch is something I will consider as it gets closer to release.

Can't say I need a new phone so I may wait for the next version before getting an update.

Sadly, this announcement is greeted by the same kinds of things that greet all Apple announcements here. There really is no point posting details about something if it's just going to get dumped on - regardless of the merit of your points. *shrugs*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 09:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
Sadly, this announcement is greeted by the same kinds of things that greet all Apple announcements here. There really is no point posting details about something if it's just going to get dumped on - regardless of the merit of your points. *shrugs*
Very well said. I was looking forward to a discussion on the new products. Instead we get two pages of easily found links from one anti-apple poster. Not sure why, but Apple does bring out the worst of the posters. You don't see this in the Android forums, or not to the extent you do with Apple. I hope none of this gives me an infraction. It needs to be said though.

I'm not trying to make this about Apple vs Android because they both have their place in the market. 99sesmaj covered it perfectly in his post above.

Back to the topic at hand. IMO, the Watch is a beautiful product. Apple spent a lot of time on the design of this. I just hope the rest of it lives up to the hype. I will be picking one of these up next year. I don't need it, but it looks so cool.

I'm going to preorder the 4.7" iPhone for my wife this Friday. She is looking forward to getting it. It's her turn for an iPhone upgrade. I'm guessing the ship times will be pushed back to the end of the month or early part of October. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

One thing that did irritate me was the $100 premium of the phones in Canada. I don't remember this on the 5 and 5S. I always thought they where only $50 above what the US paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #78 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 10:21 AM
Veteran

The exchange rate isn't what it used to be... c'est la vie on the cost front.

Interestingly, the Watch is water resistant (not water proof though) and will work offline if you don't have your phone all the time.

Also, the Edition model (the high end one) will have a nice "box" that doubles as a charger / stand.

The more I find out about it, the more interesting it sounds!

Oh yea, it also has a built-in microphone.

Last edited by notsure; 2014-09-10 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Edit: forgot to add it also has a built-in mic.

post #79 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch

I forgot about the exchange rate. That could explain it.

It's too bad it is not waterproof. But I doubt I would use it in the water even if it was. As long as I can use it in the rain is all that matter to me. I agree, the more I read about it, the more I want it. I just can't get my wife interested in it.

post #80 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 11:25 AM

I think its a great looking watch with great potential. Battery life is what I am waiting on. Not sure how the watch will fit into my lifestyle yet. As more info comes out and some real world reviews than maybe I can "find" a place for it.

I collect watches and have about 9 right now with 2 more incoming. A Sinn 556 and a Benarus. I am a WIS (google it) Don't think this will transplant my mechanicals. The only place I can see this being useful is after a full day at the office I may put the Apple Watch on to notify me while I am outside playing with my son or doing yard work of any important messages or calls that I should return.

The iPhones were what I expected and will be picking up the 6 plus I suspect once my local Bell store gets them in and I determine if its the right size for me.

Apple haters are gonna hate...
post #81 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 12:41 PM
Veteran

Yes, battery life will be the biggie for me as well.

If it can't easily do an 18 hour day, I may have to take a pass until the next generation.
post #82 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 01:12 PM
Veteran

I am on an iPhone 5 now after using BBs for over a decade. I would like an iPhone 6P but it is pretty much $1000 to get a usable model as 16GB doesn't cut it. It would have been nice if Apple put 32GB of flash memory in the base model but they kept that model at 16GB. That means that most people are going to pay up for the 64GB model giving them an additional $100 in revenue, and $90 in profit.
post #83 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 01:29 PM
Veteran

I also don't understand why they didn't drop the 16gb size instead of the 32. I was thinking about this before. I thought they would drop one size as they would probably keep to the three size options of phones. I assumed it would have been the 16. That would have made more sense to the consumer. I'll buy my wife the 16gb one as we don't need the extra space.

post #84 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj
Both sides have their drawbacks. Apple's keyboard is hands-down the worst out there. I can't expand memory, so I always buy the biggest capacity at greater expense. I can't venture outside their locked down areas such as an integrated SIP dialler. Etc.

Android is selling out your data to a far greater extent than most people want to believe. They have a practical monopoly on malware, the UI is often inconsistent and not intuitive. The race-to-bottom pricing often means the hardware you just bought will not run even the current release of the OS.

They both work. Just decide what's important to you and pick your team.
Phew, I thought I was the only one who had this opinion...

In addition to the two "big ones" there are two other viable platforms out there that folks shouldn't overlook. They've both come a long way in the last couple of years.

I happen to think Apple hardware falls into the beautiful category. I think the interoperability within the Apple ecosystem is great. I find Apple to generally be quite arrogant (the webcast stream being limited to Apple products is a prime example of this). Why is Apple still holding out on offering removable storage on their phones? And why can you still not attach multiple files to an email on iOS?
post #85 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch

Hopefully the email thing will be fixed in ios 8. I don't use IOS mail anyway. I'm just waiting until Dropbox's Mailbox app is updated to include Exchange accounts.

post #86 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 01:57 PM

Well maybe that's something they'll sort out with their partnership with IBM. I can't see the lack of basic functionality like that being popular with the corporate types.

The ability to grab several file from various folders from my OneDrive, attach them and send them has come in handy several times for me on my phone.
post #87 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 09:22 PM

Email thing drives my wife crazy, her work was across the board BB. Not to long ago her boss hands her a 5s and an ipad mini, the company went all apple. She wasn't unimpressed at the time, she had had iPads since there was an iPad. She likes the phone, hates it for work. Wants her berry back.

Is apple going to allow swift key on iOS 8, by far the best keyboard and prediction app I've ever used?

Will the iPad 4 get iOS 8 update?

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #88 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Yes, and yes. In fact, all iPads back to the iPad2 will get it.

post #89 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 11:30 PM
Veteran

SwiftKey will be available when iOS 8 launches next week
post #90 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-11, 08:50 AM
Veteran

Wow, that looks really great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in