Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Well, the Apple Watch is certainly better than any of the Android Wear watches, but it costs ~$100 more. I'm still not convinced that many people would actually want a watch when you have a smartphone around.
Price-wise, a Pebble Steel costs as much as a basic AppleWatch once you factor in the exchange rate, taxes and shipping fees from China.

I'm still trying to figure out what else my Pebble can do aside from tell time and display notifications. Apple's new watch however definitely looks like an improvement over everything else currently on the market. But as you've mentioned, why would you need a limited functionality smartwatch when you already have a full functioning smartphone?

This market segment's viability is still very much in the air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
It would be nice if an electronic payment system took off...something that reaches a critical mass and becomes the standard. Unfortunately I don't see anything compelling with Apple's new payment system. Though it does appear to be easy to set up by just taking a photo of your cards then the system validates them for use.
We've already got PayPass standardized and accepted at most new chip+pin terminals, why we can't have a standardized "PayPass for Mobile" system I don't know.

Once again Apple has set up this system by "partnering" with certain retailers instead of using existing tap and pay systems.
post #63 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Safari is available for Windows is it not?
Sure is, so I downloaded and installed it. Still got the same error message, so they were limiting the webcast to Apple devices only.

post #64 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Getting back to the (very interesting) mobile payment system:
I couldn't quite figure out how this will be accomplished with
the AppleWatch and am glad to learn I'm not alone
http://recode.net/2014/09/09/how-mob...e-apple-watch/

This isn't the only one question left unanswered
http://recode.net/2014/09/09/what-we...and-apple-pay/
post #65 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 08:28 PM
Veteran

They did a demo of the Watch, in the keynote, using the pay system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #66 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

And how did the demo answer the question?
How is it secure if the watch doesn't have a fingerprint sensor?

Here is a good summary of the watch
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/a...about-nothing/
post #67 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 10:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Sure is, so I downloaded and installed it. Still got the same error message, so they were limiting the webcast to Apple devices only.
Not sure about that...it actually outright crashed Safari on my browser....many times. I've seen Safari crater before, but very rarely.

I guess my point is that it may have been a technical issue overall as opposed to a platform restriction.

All-in-all, no surprises. The iPhone6 didn't rock my world. I was hoping for a last second reveal of an iOS8 feature, and that didn't materialise. Apple Pay isn't announced for Canada yet, and if iTunes Radio is any indication, it could be a long wait. I did like the emphasis on privacy, though, since that's what I pay the Apple premium for.

WATCH was a lot more compelling than I thought it would be, although it's still a marginal product. I doubt I'll partake.

Looking forward now to the ipad refresh...that's what I really want to upgrade.
post #68 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 11:01 PM
Veteran

Apple announces iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Pay, and Apple Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by four View Post
And how did the demo answer the question?
How is it secure if the watch doesn't have a fingerprint sensor?

Here is a good summary of the watch
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/a...about-nothing/

From my understanding is that it uses the security from the iPhone it's connected to.

You keep posting negative reviews. I've found lots of positive reviews to the iPhones and Watch. One from Engadget in fact. Are you searching specifically for negative reviews? :rolleyes.

The positives are easy to find. I won't post the links that are too easy to find on google.

post #69 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Priceless...

"So excited for the Apple Watch. For centuries, we’ve checked the time by
looking at our phones. Having it on your wrist? Genius."
-----Ellen DeGeneres

"The Apple Watch finally allows users to ruin two devices when they reach into the toilet to retrieve their iPhone."
-----Comedy Central

"Apple’s Sport Watch will lead to millions of nerds working out really hard for like 3 days."
-----Alex Flint

Taken from here.
post #70 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 11:09 PM

Funny we are talking about new phones and "iwatches" yet they can't managed a streamed press conference without it going kaput.

I'll make a not so bold prediction that in 12 months time those iwatches are in clearance centers for less than $199. .....the current price of the Samsung Gear 2 is $215 through discounters in Canada.

This is a market neither are going to make big bank on, it's all about swinging their corporate wangs on miniaturization, not useability.
post #71 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 11:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101
You keep posting negative reviews. I've found lots of positive reviews to the iPhones and Watch. One from Engadget in fact. Are you searching specifically for negative reviews? :rolleyes.
four has been posting anti-Apple stuff since he joined. You shouldn't be surprised
post #72 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 01:20 AM

I'm not an apple fan, I did have high hopes for this phone, but it looks like apple is up to it's same old tricks, holding back so they have something to release on the next phone.

Wireless AC, NFC and large screens have been on competitors flagships for years.
Still 1 gb of ram, still no 1080p screen,
But I agree with apple this time, 4.7" is a good screen size, just 2 phones too late

looking at the pics they should really call it the iPhone One

Still will be a hugely popular phone, work perfect for calls and texts.

smart watch, meh apple or not.

And only time will tell, but did they get some decent battery life out of it this time around?

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #73 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 06:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
four has been posting anti-Apple stuff since he joined. You shouldn't be surprised

Lol, I've noticed that on the iPhone 6 thread. Just about everything posted by four was negative. Maybe Apple offended him for some reason, and he has a grudge against them.

post #74 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I find this better than claiming to have witnessed miracles, e.g. problem-less live streaming...
post #75 of 104 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 07:58 AM
Veteran

Apple is interesting...those who like their products, really love them....and those who don't like them, really hate them.

They're easy to hate....the loyal fans are often staring down their noses at the unwashed masses...their marketing appeals at an emotional level often ignoring facts, and the premium pricing model does exclude many, especially outside the Western world.

Apple products are targeted at (and largely owned by) people with a different goal. PCs and Androids are aimed at people who want products that do everything, connect to every accessory standard and runs every program from any author. They value that flexibility over everything else.

Apple customers appreciate finer aesthetics (a subjective statement, but generally upheld to be true), a UI that may not have every up-to-second tweak but is finely tuned and thought--out, and a more stable safe environment against viruses, privacy invasions and malware.

Both sides have their drawbacks. Apple's keyboard is hands-down the worst out there. I can't expand memory, so I always buy the biggest capacity at greater expense. I can't venture outside their locked down areas such as an integrated SIP dialler. Etc.

Android is selling out your data to a far greater extent than most people want to believe. They have a practical monopoly on malware, the UI is often inconsistent and not intuitive. The race-to-bottom pricing often means the hardware you just bought will not run even the current release of the OS.

They both work. Just decide what's important to you and pick your team.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in