Help me: Cell Phone Providers and Plans - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-03-12, 02:38 AM

If you already have a plan with a carrier, typically the best way to get a deal is to threaten to cancel your cell and change carriers.

Generally, your provider will do their best to try and keep you by negotiating a better plan and/or deal on a new phone. I did this and ended up with a pretty sweet plan, about $10 cheaper a month than the equivalent "normal" plan you would get in a store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-05-27, 08:02 PM

new carrier

Do u guys think there would be any new gsm carrier in Canada.let me know.if it comes it would be great.let me know.thx
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-08-24, 02:42 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Rogers PayGo by Credit Card

I have been renewing my minutes each month on-line. But for this month, I will be traveling away from the Internet so I called CS to get it billed to my credit card when due. Surprise:
1) The rates for usage are 20% cheaper, i.e. for $20/mo: 20 cents/minute for first 5 minutes each day then 12 cents/min thereafter,
2) They charge the credit card the same day of each month so I gain 5 days of grace every year (30x12=360 vs 365).

Once only, they extended my expiry date from Aug 27th to Oct 4th until they could get the CC setup working.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-08-24, 03:17 PM
Veteran

Hugh: You never told us what you decided to do.
Guess you are happy with it, or we would have heard.

I am looking for a very basic plan as we now have a big old Motorola 6000, alias The Brick. We got it 16 years ago for my daughter to go to University out of town, and now my wife has it in her car for emergencies. No battery anymore, just the cigar lighter plug-in, so it has to be used in the car.
Telus seems to have a good Pay as You Go plan, but I am now with Rogers and paying $15.95/mo. +++ for a total of $27.00. I called Rogers and they have an unadvertised plan for only $5.00/mo. ++++ totalling $14.19. You get 40 min. with this and 50 cents/min. over. I also found out about hardware updates, which you earn as you own a phone. There are apparently 6 levels. We have had the Brick for 16 yrs., with no upgrades, so should be on level 6.
They still wanted $114.00 for an Ericsson J300 phone which I don't think is any bargain.
The pay as you go Telus phone is $129.00 and they give you a $50 credit, to the phone is well under $100, and it looks like a better phone.
This is more complicated than Home Theater purchases.

It doesn't matter if your glass is half empty or half full.
Drink up and get a refill!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2006-10-03, 07:53 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I have been renewing my minutes each month on-line. But for this month, I will be traveling away from the Internet so I called CS to get it billed to my credit card when due. Surprise:
1) The rates for usage are 20% cheaper, i.e. for $20/mo: 20 cents/minute for first 5 minutes each day then 12 cents/min thereafter,
2) They charge the credit card the same day of each month so I gain 5 days of grace every year (30x12=360 vs 365).

Once only, they extended my expiry date from Aug 27th to Oct 4th until they could get the CC setup working.
Roaming is now allowed on PayGo outside Canada. No need to buy a US SIM card (but still need it in Mexico).

Rogers PayGo rates while roaming in the US are as follows:

Calls Back to Canada from the U.S.
Calls within the U.S. while in the U.S. (local and long distance calls)Incoming calls while in the U.S.
All at C$2.49 per minute including airtime

Calls to Australia, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, Japan, Sweden, U.K., while in the U.S. C$2.99 per minute

From Canada Long Distance Rates Per-minute calling rate:
Within Canada 25¢
To the United States 66¢
To Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, Sweden and the U.K. 75¢
To Japan $1.00
To mainland China $1.50

LD to other countries may require conversion to a regular plan. But the ability to roam on PayGo is being expanded by Rogers internationally. (Thanks to my son Paul.)

We just got back from a trip through Washington and Idaho and were able to use up our large PayGo balance rather than paying hotel extra charges for local and LD calls. Or Telus roaming charges...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in