Google Play Music - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Google Play Music

Google Play Music has finally arrived in Canada, I've been using the storage and streaming part since it was launched in the US and its a great service, good to have official access and the ability to purchase music as well now in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 01:23 PM

Good news.

I too have been using it since it launched in the US. I guess the only advantage we have now is that we're locked into the $7.99/month price.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 01:31 PM
Veteran

It looks like Google is taking on Apple in a big way. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Google Play Music to play anything. In typical fashion, Google either wants information or money to provide access to their services. The information they want is my entire music collection. Can't say I'm 100% comfortable adding that to the vast amount of information they already have. The other option is to sign up for 'All Access' without even being provided the cost or terms of the service. I feel like I'm being asked to put on a blindfold and be led into an unknown room by a stranger. If Google were more forthcoming I would be inclined to try it.

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 01:43 PM

How did you miss the price? It says $9.99/month when you click All Access.

Also, you don't have to upload your music collection. That's only if you wanto stream it.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 02:01 PM

Location: Waterloo, Rogers Cable Internet, Panasonic 55" Plasma, Insignia 5101HD, Cisco 8642, Kaleidescape
I'm very happy that Google Play Music is finally available in Canada. I've been subscribing to Rdio for a while now but am giving Google's All-Access service a try for the 30-day free period. At the end of the month, I'll have to decide between Google and Rdio.

So far, Google has the edge in that it's cheaper than Rdio (if you get in during the $7.99/month window) and it integrates nicely with my existing music collection which Rdio doesn't do.

My HT equipment:Epson 4030 Projector, Pioneer VSX-1028, Kaleidescape 3U Server, M500 Player, Strato, Alto & Terra
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

$7.99/month not $9.99 for me.........and yes you don't have to upload your music and if you don't sign up to All Access you can buy individual albums and tracks. The best part of Google Music is storing all you music in the cloud and being able to access it anywhere at any time. My iPod classic has been gathering dust since I got Google Music when it launched.

Streaming music on Play as I type.............Hall & Oats - The Singles, cheesy but awesome, figured I'd sign up to the 30 day free trial.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
$7.99/month not $9.99 for me.........
I just noticed that my subsricption price has now changed from $7.99 (US) to $8.77 (Cdn) - which is equal to the current exchange rate.

Where are you guys seeing the $7.99/month intro offer? I only see the free month.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

In the confirmation email "You have signed up for a subscription to Google Play Music All Access. Your subscription includes 30 days for free. You will be automatically subscribed for $7.99/month unless you cancel by Jun 4, 2014"
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 06:51 PM

I don't know much about this service.

I download several songs via iTunes per month and stream various free internet music stations. (Many of them listed in iTunes streaming radio section).

What's Google Play Music's advantage here?
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 07:01 PM

For 8 (or, if you sign up after the deadline, 10) dollars per month, you can stream as much music as you want. You can search for individual artists/albums/songs or listen to algorithm-crafted "radio" streams. You can also pin music for offline listening on mobile devices. The biggest advantage over iTunes is that it has wider platform support: Android, iOS, and web browsers.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 07:18 PM

I'm not seeing the value in this, at least for me. I sync my (DRM free) iTunes music to my BlackBerry with no problems and there are various streaming radio apps that I can use too.

The only advantage here seems to be customizable streaming playlists but if I like a song enough to want it in a playlist, I'm just going to pay the $1.xx that iTunes wants for it and I can listen to it indefinitely on whatever device I want.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 07:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin
For 8 (or, if you sign up after the deadline, 10) dollars per month, you can stream as much music as you want.
So, if I sign up before the deadline, I get the service for $7.99 forever? Or is the $7.99 just a intro price and soon even the early sign-ups pay $9.99 (as the CBC article seems to imply).

I see they have Sonos support, so this may be very compelling. Do you know how many concurrent streams they allow? That is, if I'm streaming music in my car, can someone at home be using it via Sonos?
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

You can also upload all of your CD's/DRM free music, without paying the subscription, so that you can access them anywhere. Think of the streaming radio service as similar to Rdio & Spotify rather than say Songza or Pandora.

If you are on iOS its not going to add much, but for Android users its a good addition to the Play Store in Canada.
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:05 PM
Veteran

https://play.google.com/about/music/unlock/

I am excited because i dont use itunes...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

And you should be, I've been using Play Music since it came out and the cloud storage of my music is fantastic. I can listen to my tunes on the way to work via my phone and then switch to my desktop and continue exactly where I left off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in