Google Play Music - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 09:00 AM

Quick question - and sorry if this has been asked and answered. Why do I have to provide credit card information if I only want standard access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 10:26 AM
Veteran

Probably to make it easier to actually purchase music (I'm assuming you aren't using Android or the Play Store in general)

Sent using radio waves of some sort
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Spotify is not available in Canada.
Spotify is available in Canada if you purchase the $9.99/month plan and have a U.S.-based credit card or Paypal account. No VPN or DNS trickery needed for mobile or PC.

post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yep, like I said its not available in Canada............officially that is, there are many US based services that you can get by various means, but they are not officially available in Canada.
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Forgot about that, removed it from my PC as its next to useless.
Do you mean like the Windows 8 Music metro app or Xbox music? either way they both work very well, I much prefer it over itunes, way faster load, nice smooth interface, transfer over from itunes was pretty much seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
Quick question - and sorry if this has been asked and answered. Why do I have to provide credit card information if I only want standard access.
When I set it up on my wifes phone, pretty sure it said they wanted the credit card so they knew if you were in Canada or the US or whatever

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

XBox Music, it doesn't offer the flexibility of Play Music
post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 10:32 PM

It's almost exactly the same, I have both on iOS, android and windows devices, where I find xbox music better as a subscription service is the fact that it works and works very well on 360 and XB1, and it allows you to automatically get the music video of the song.

Google's big advantage is I can upload underground stuff.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I own one product in the MS ecosystem so the fact it works well on X Box doesn't make it any more useful to me. Google Play Music works faultlessly on my phones, 3 Chromecast's, tablets and any PC I use.
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-13, 11:36 PM

Xbox music works flawlessly on all my devices including Android TV boxes. Just pointing out it's not useless like you claim.

post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-14, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

It's useless to me, that is my choice to make
post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-14, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Both services are ticking me off! I have found two songs that were matched in Google that were NOT the ones I attempted to upload! They were cheap ass knock offs that sounded totally wrong! I cannot seem to find a way to override this nonsense! XBM does only matching at this point no uploading so there are 2 or 3 albums that XBM doesn't have the rights to and therefore I am locked out of except on the device I manually loaded. At this point I am considering trying out that Bittorrent Sync to bypass these cloudy-crappy solutions and just sync them device to device myself!
post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-14, 04:16 PM

Google Play

So if I decide to hand over my collection to Google Play, does anyone know if they compress it down to MP3 format before they let you stream it from the cloud and do they censor what you have if they feel a file type in your music library is from a download?
post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-14, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Both services are ticking me off! I have found two songs that were matched in Google that were NOT the ones I attempted to upload! They were cheap ass knock offs that sounded totally wrong! I cannot seem to find a way to override this nonsense! XBM does only matching at this point no uploading so there are 2 or 3 albums that XBM doesn't have the rights to and therefore I am locked out of except on the device I manually loaded. At this point I am considering trying out that Bittorrent Sync to bypass these cloudy-crappy solutions and just sync them device to device myself!
Hi j0dest3r.

I've heard about Bittorent Sync. I have a dedicated music drive that contains about 1TB of music Could you tell me if syncing from device to device means that I have to have that room on my receiving device? In this case it's a 128GB iPad
post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-14, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
So if I decide to hand over my collection to Google Play, does anyone know if they compress it down to MP3 format before they let you stream it from the cloud and do they censor what you have if they feel a file type in your music library is from a download?
Most of my music is from a downloaded source and have always been able to upload it google music without any problems
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-15, 08:47 AM
Veteran

@aardvaark I believe it is all controllable but I don't have any experience with it as of yet. The concept is simple, it bypasses the down-up-down approach of the classic cloud offering and just uses the net to sync device to device P2P style. If you don't have the same amount of available space from one device to the next there must be a way to deal with that built-in.

I suspect there has been some fine tuning of the Google Play stuff that us noobs with the service are having to endure but those that were using it as a U.S based service are not experiencing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in