Google Play Music - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 10:11 PM
Veteran

Its' all MP3 for the most part anyway. Selecting the individual folders its able to find and upload right away. Although at the speed it's uploading I'd say its more like matching. I'm good for now but will try the rest of my collection from a different folder see how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 05:49 PM
Member #1

After a few days, our family is lukewarm on google music.

Personally I don't find the Google Music implementation on Sonos any better than Rdio while my teenage kids seem to prefer Rdio's music discovery.

Overall, the only real benefit I see for Google over Rdio is the price but $2 a month isn't really going to be the deciding factor.

The downside of Google for me is I am reluctant to hand over any more personal information to Google. I don't think Google is evil but I find it creepy that it accumulate sso much information about me, information can then be turned over to the U.S. and Canadian government.

Maybe if I get over my 1984 fears I will continue on after the free trial.

post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 09:27 PM
Veteran

All your personal info to Google for all services... OR that same info spread across many service providers?

What more does google know about you that they did not know before you signed up for Google music?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-10, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
Personally I don't find the Google Music implementation on Sonos any better than Rdio while my teenage kids seem to prefer Rdio's music discovery.
You don't find browsing GPM via the native Play Music app to be a better experience than using the Sonos app on Rdio? I find the experience night-and-day when looking for new music. I'm not talking about GPM in the Sonos app vs Rdio in the Sonos app. I find those two about the same. What I mean is that GPM offers a alternate means of browsing music that Rdio does not, since I can control Sonos directly from the "native" GPM app.

A couple examples of things that are better:
Using the native GPM app I can control the music I'm playing on my Sonos from the lock screen on my Android phone (back/foward/pause).

Using the Sonos app from a iPad I can thumbs up/down music on GPM to give it feedback on music I'm listening to, which presumably helps GPM make music suggestions in the future. Rdio doesn't offer the thumbs up/down thing from the Sonos app.
post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 10:06 AM
Veteran

I have enjoyed the Im feeling lucky radio button.

Sent front android
www.rcottawa.com

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 10:07 AM
Veteran

I never knew Chris Cornel had covered micheal jacksons billie jean

Sent front android
www.rcottawa.com

post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 02:07 PM

I am testing both Rdio and Google Play. Both are amazing. So much so, that having my own mp3 collection seems like a waste of time. In my view Rdio has a better interface. After selection a few of my favourite artists and and using the adventurous setting Rdio is providing an uncanny pick of music that suits my taste. Play has similar features but often picks music I don't care for. I am using the $4.99 Rdio web based subscription rather than the mobile subscription for $9.99. Google play is $7.99 if you sign up now but will soon go to $9.99. If you choose Play in the introductory phase you will get the $7.99 rate indefinitely. Still testing both and have not made a decision.

Last edited by rocko; 2014-05-11 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Error in pricing
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 08:58 AM

Just started using, I like that you can upload your personal music and stream to any device, I listen to a lot of underground rap that doesn't usually make it to the mainstream all access type site, may drop my xbox music account in favor of of google music.

just need to figure out if I can control google music with my ipod controls in my truck, if I can I can make one step closer to being apple free. I've had a lot of problems with itunes, windows 8 and android all getting a long lately.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 03:53 PM
Veteran

I haven't used any streaming services prior to this, but so far, I am really finding Google Music a great experience. What are the other streaming services I should test quickly before my one month trial is up? Are Rdio and Spotify the only main ones? My music tastes are pretty generic, quite frankly.
post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Rdio is really the only similar one to Google Music & iTunes, Spotify is not available in Canada. There are other streaming radio services like Songza & 8tracks, which are both great but have specific restrictions on skipping tracks, commercials etc.
post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 04:34 PM
Member #1

+1 for Songza. It's free and and is ideal if you are just looking for themed music on your smartphone. There are some ads but its not intrusive.

post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The ads are a lot more intrusive on the Songza website, its a very good app but the downside is that you are restricted in the frequency with which you can skip tracks you don't like and the play lists are not endless.
post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 06:51 PM
Veteran

I decided to cancel my Slacker subscription at the end of the month. While their genre stations are a lot more focused than Google's (80s Hits only plays original songs from the 80s - no remixes, live versions, etc), I like the idea that I can easily use Chromecast or Sonos (when I get one) to listen to stuff on Google Play. Slacker is very slow to add extras like this (heck, they still don't send track info reliably to Bluetooth devices like cars and smartwatches).

Now if only there was a way to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to what I'm listening on Google Play on my Pebble......

Sent using radio waves of some sort
post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Rdio is really the only similar one to Google Music & iTunes, Spotify is not available in Canada. There are other streaming radio services like Songza & 8tracks, which are both great but have specific restrictions on skipping tracks, commercials etc.
Xbox music is the same, pay monthly, unlimited streaming, syncs play lists across devices, can upload your music too, but not the same as google, they have to have it on there server, last I checked at least

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-12, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Forgot about that, removed it from my PC as its next to useless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in