Google Play Music - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 03:15 PM
Member #1

Sounds pretty good so signed up for 30 days and will decide then whether to keep Rdio or switch to Google Play.

I am now debating the whole "my Library" situation. I have 14,000 songs, most of which are lossless, taking up 176 GB of space.

So I'm wondering

What is the benefit of uploading your songs? At home, I don't need them in the cloud and for mobile, can't I just sync from Google Play (likely at a lower bitrate)

Does Google give you some sense of what songs in your library it needs to upload? I'm assuming it doesn't upload them all.

What bitrate are they in the cloud? What bitrate are they when they sync?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 03:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
I'm assuming it doesn't upload them all.
It uploads all of them. At least, it did for me. There is a client app that sits in your system tray, it watches a directory you specify and it'll upload all the stuff that is in there. It can take a long time for the initial upload.

I'm not sure what the bitrate is when they're streamed to your devices - I haven't tested this. I'm not even sure that they transcode the music before sending it back. They may just send back whatever you sent them.
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 03:29 PM
Member #1

Quote:
It uploads all of them
Did some research and that doesn't seem to jibe with what Google is saying. Bolding is mine.

Quote:
Bring up to 20,000 songs from your computer to Google Play for free with Music Manager. It's a simple desktop application that scans your iTunes® library or any music folder on your computer and matches your collection with what’s on Google Play, instantly adding the matched tracks to your music library. If you have music that’s not available on Google Play, Music Manager will upload it too. Once you’ve added your collection, you can listen instantly on Android, your iPhone and the web

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 03:33 PM
Member #1

Another Sonos related question. Curious if anyone has figured it out.

Suppose I create an Artist radio station that includes songs from my collection as well as from the Google Play service.

on Sonos, will it play the song from my local network (assuming I have it) and only play from the cloud if I don't.

post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 04:19 PM
Veteran

Well, I haven't uploaded anything to GPM for a long time now, but when the service first came (early or mid 2012) out I uploaded my entire collection, and the amount of data transferred was about the same size as my audio folder.

So, either it wasn't able to match my file against their files, or their matching ability is a recent addition.

And again, a lot of my files are actually audiobooks so I can understand that not matching anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
on Sonos, will it play the song from my local network (assuming I have it) and only play from the cloud if I don't.
I'd guess that once it's uploaded, GPM will always stream and then cache the file. The reason is that Sonos wouldn't necessarily have access to the folder that was synchronized with your GPM library. Even if you have the same folder in your Sonos Library, Sonos wouldn't know that the two files are actually the same thing.

The other unfortunate thing is that given that Sonos ZPs don't have much room for caching on them, I'm pretty sure that if you were to play a couple hours of music in a loop, it would always stream the songs every time you play them. If you did that on a smartphone, it would utilize a local cache to prevent the 2nd download of the song.
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
What is the benefit of uploading your songs? At home, I don't need them in the cloud and for mobile, can't I just sync from Google Play (likely at a lower bitrate)

Does Google give you some sense of what songs in your library it needs to upload? I'm assuming it doesn't upload them all.

What bitrate are they in the cloud? What bitrate are they when they sync?
Uploading will allow you to augment their streaming catalogue with your own music. For example, as far as I can tell they do not have any AC/DC available, but I uploaded my own. I don't know the answer to the bitrate questions, or whether lossy/lossless will affect whether it uploads or matches, I'm afraid, other than that the music manager app on PC does support lossless files.

You can also download anything you upload, which makes for a nice emergency backup solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Well, I haven't uploaded anything to GPM for a long time now, but when the service first came (early or mid 2012) out I uploaded my entire collection, and the amount of data transferred was about the same size as my audio folder.

So, either it wasn't able to match my file against their files, or their matching ability is a recent addition.
Matching came with the European launch. How it works seems to be shrouded in mystery to a certain extent.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 06:32 PM

Ok I am interested in this. I downloaded the "play music" app from mac app store to my ipad?. All I see is my library selections??? I see nowhere on the app for any other use

Where in the world is the store and music I can listen to?

Thanks

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Do you see 'Explore' in the App? On Android that is where you can buy in app and you can also buy from the Play store, so I guess on Mac you can go to the browser version of the Play store and buy music..............don't know for sure as I don't use Mac or iOS.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 07:58 PM

Actually problem is solved thank you. I guess i had to sign up for all acess before it shows up on the app.

Optik PVR, Pioneer 1528-K, 58" Panasonic 3D TV, Xbox360, PS3, Panasonic 3D Bluray Player, Definitive Speakers, SVS Sub
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 10:19 PM
Veteran

Is there any way to disable all live songs from the radio? I keep getting live concert songs the vast majority of the time.
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stationg View Post
Actually problem is solved thank you. I guess i had to sign up for all acess before it shows up on the app.
That's maybe the difference between Android & iOS, I can buy music in the Play store without signing up for All Access on Android.
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 10:43 PM

I find it strange that everyone here only received one month free trial when I received 2 months?

Edit. I just checked the link I used and it was a one day only offer
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-08, 10:00 AM
Veteran

I have no Android devices, but recently dropped my Xbox Music sub so I'm going to try this out. The free stuff for now anyway. I noticed there is a Roku app that supports GPM and I have an iPod touch.
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 05:20 PM
Veteran

I'm not having a very good go at this. I started a free account and started uploading my collection. The matching on a few of my titles wasn't very great. It seemed to match the songs with what sounds like some sort of rip off artist. Different singer different music but same song name same band name. Go figure! The Chrome add-in didn't seem to be completing the collection so I tried the desktop software. It's telling me there isn't anything to upload in my Music folder. So I figured my collection must be layered differently than what it is looking for basically ARTIST>Album>.MP3s so I bought a couple of CDs downloaded them, and they ended up in the same folder structure as what my current music is layed out as!! Anyone have any tips on how to get my tunes uploaded?

iPod App is awesome! Way better than the Xbox Music one that only lets you sync off-line your play lists worth of music. This thing can sync everything if you want it to!
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 05:26 PM

I find with the desktop asp sometimes you have to let it sit for a while before it notices and uploads your music. What format is your music in?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in