Google Play Music - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
I'm not seeing the value in this, at least for me. I sync my (DRM free) iTunes music to my BlackBerry with no problems and there are various streaming radio apps that I can use too.

The only advantage here seems to be customizable streaming playlists but if I like a song enough to want it in a playlist, I'm just going to pay the $1.xx that iTunes wants for it and I can listen to it indefinitely on whatever device I want.
I added 28 albums to my library today alone. I wouldn't have bought them because it would have cost more than I consider worthwhile. I also hate buying individual songs - I like to listen to albums as a whole work.

However, if you don't use an Android or iOS device, then the value is substantially lower. With this service, I can pull up almost any song I want at any moment. If it didn't work on my phone, I don't think I'd want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
So, if I sign up before the deadline, I get the service for $7.99 forever? Or is the $7.99 just a intro price and soon even the early sign-ups pay $9.99 (as the CBC article seems to imply).
As I understand it, if you sign up before the deadline you get 30 days free and then it's 7.99 forever (or at least indefinitely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
I see they have Sonos support, so this may be very compelling. Do you know how many concurrent streams they allow? That is, if I'm streaming music in my car, can someone at home be using it via Sonos?
No guarantees, but I just tried playing on my phone and tablet simultaneously and it seemed to work just fine.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 10:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
How did you miss the price? It says $9.99/month when you click All Access.
That's just it. I didn't want to click on "Try All Access Now" to start a trial without knowing the terms first. Google already has my personal info and credit card number from previous Play Store purchases. Would I be signed up and locked into a term contract as soon as I click on the button? I didn't know and neither does anyone else from the info on that page.

For most of my listening, Rdio is a better deal. It's $4.99/mo for internet only listening (no portable devices.) I don't normally listen to portable devices so it's not a big deal. Unfortunately, Rdio seems to think that any device running Android is a portable device, even if it's a non-portable media player of wi-fi only tablet. I will check out Google Play Music to see how the music selection and user interface compare.
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 11:34 PM
Veteran

Questions:

1) With respect to streaming your local music, is it a case of Google matching what is in their library? For example, I might have five different bootlegs of the same song (all tagged appropriately), not released through record labels. How does Google Music handle that?

2) For those of you using Spotify, how does the UI compare to Spotify's client software. I also have an account at Rdio and it's functionality/UI is pretty poor compared to Spotify's. Is Google Play Music similar?

3) How are the music discovery features compared to other services?

post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 12:10 AM
Veteran

I've been messing around with Google Play Music for a few hours, and it's actually really good. I think I'm going to be dropping my $9.99 Rdio subscription in favor of this Play Music service.

Edit: the Sonos integration is fantastic.
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 01:24 AM
Veteran

Can someone confirm if you can cache radio stations for offline playback? I'm a bit confused on whether (or how) this works

Sent using radio waves of some sort
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
1) With respect to streaming your local music, is it a case of Google matching what is in their library? For example, I might have five different bootlegs of the same song (all tagged appropriately), not released through record labels. How does Google Music handle that?
If Google has that exact track it will match it. If it doesn't, it will upload your file and use the information on the file for naming and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Can someone confirm if you can cache radio stations for offline playback? I'm a bit confused on whether (or how) this works
As far as I can tell, you can only stream radio stations. They're infinitely long, in theory, so I don't know how you could cache them. You can create a playlist of both your own tracks and Google Music tracks and then cache that, but you'd have to know ahead of time what you want on there.

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Slacker Radio lets you cache for offline playback, and since I only have a 1GB data plan I'd want to to be careful. I guess I could just create my own playlists, but sometimes I like the randomness of Internet radio.

.... Then again, I could always just accept paying $10/GB extra and see just how much data Google Music uses in a month for me

Sent using radio waves of some sort
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 08:23 AM
Member #1

Quote:
I've been messing around with Google Play Music for a few hours, and it's actually really good. I think I'm going to be dropping my $9.99 Rdio subscription in favor of this Play Music service.

Edit: the Sonos integration is fantastic.
I have Rdio and Sonos so am curious what the pros and cons of Google Play over Rdio is for Sonos users.

The one pro I can see for Google over Rdio is the lower price for early adopters. Are there any other pros for Google over Rdio?

On the downside, I don't think Google Play support for both android and iOS support like Rdio. I control Sonos with an iPad (but have an Android phone) so I love the fact that Rdio supports both.

I am also curious whether Google Play allow you to sync playlists to various portable devices (iOS and Android). Syncing is critical for us since streaming is useless on the subway and the highway.

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 08:37 AM
Veteran

Looks like you can cache radio stations (well, obviously a portion of them). Once you've listened to a station, it should appear in the "My Stations" tab; complete with the option to Keep on Device.

post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 08:56 AM

Play Music does work on iOS, and syncs playlists and libraries across platforms. I've never used rdio, so maybe it does this too, but one of the big strengths of Play Music is that it integrates your own collection of music with Google's streaming library, which allows you to augment the service and fill gaps in their offerings.

post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 11:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
I have Rdio and Sonos so am curious what the pros and cons of Google Play over Rdio is for Sonos users.
The Sonos integration with Google Play Music (GPM) is actually better than Rdio because you can control the streams from both the GPM app in addition to the Sonos app.

https://play.google.com/about/music/sonos/

I tested the "Direct play" feature that is listed in the above advert. I was concerned that it would be doing some sort of AirPlay configuration where your device would be constantly streaming the music over WiFi (thus lowering the battery life of your mobile device), but it doesn't. It's actually telling your Sonos Zone Player to go get the file you requested on its own - just like the Sonos app does.

I also like the GPM UI better than the Sonos app (even the new one currently in beta) for browsing music.

So, I'm switching because:

1. Fantastic Sonos integration
2. 20% lower monthly price
3. It also has a "cloud locker" where I can put my audiobooks and access them anywhere when I'm out and about.

The only con that I currently see is that GPM isn't as cross platform as Rdio. Specifically, it's unlikely that they'll ever support Windows Phone (since Google seems to be interested in "locking out" that platform from its services like YouTube), and Google is not interested in making native apps for desktop operating systems which would allow for features like local caching on those platforms.

I don't know how the two music libraries compare, but I was able to find the stuff I typically listen to on Rdio without much effort.
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 11:31 AM
Member #1

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Quote:
Play Music does work on iOS, and syncs playlists and libraries across platforms.
Confused. So does that mean I can create a playlist of songs NOT in my personal library and then sync to my phone for off-line listening?

post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I am also curious whether Google Play allow you to sync playlists to various portable devices (iOS and Android). Syncing is critical for us since streaming is useless on the subway and the highway.
Your playlists are synced to all of your devices. On Android at least (I don't know about he iOS app), you can then pin (download) the songs for that playlist to your device for offline listening.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
That's just it. I didn't want to click on "Try All Access Now" to start a trial without knowing the terms first. Google already has my personal info and credit card number from previous Play Store purchases. Would I be signed up and locked into a term contract as soon as I click on the button? I didn't know and neither does anyone else from the info on that page.
I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 02:50 PM
Veteran

I know that Google is a reputable company and all that. Unfortunately, clicking on a button these days can amount to signing a contract. If the button had said 'Click for more info' or something similar I would have had no problem. 'Click to try our service' can amount to signing up for said service. Maybe I'm being too cautious but once scammed is enough.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.
Maybe here it is but where does Google operate? The European Union is not shy about protecting its citizens' rights from bad practices by international companies but I don't see Canada doing anything to protect its citizens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in