Android branding: is Google jealous? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Android branding: is Google jealous?

Interesting observation with the just announced flagship phones from Samsung and HTC
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mark-...ndroid_id54451

It took a few years for an average customer to realize that Android phones are not iPhones (aka iPhone is not the synonym of smartphone).
But the name Android never made it to the top of the list of terms used. People buy Galaxy's, iPhones, One's...

With Nexus One Google put its name on the back of the handset (like Nokia) but that didn't last.

It looks like Google is imposing the use of Android brand to let the world know who's the boss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 01:42 PM

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
Jealousy? Maybe it's something as simple as pride and capitalizing on it. I'm not sure about the statement where they say the average customer doesn't know what operating system it is. I have a heard believing that that many people don;t know the difference between I-phone stuff and Android. But, maybe I'm naive. Maybe when when it comes to the older generation, but I have a hard time believing that statement.

Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, Samsung BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy Speakers, Paradigm PDR-12" Sub
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Don't have a link handy.
IIRC, around Xmas-2010 there was a poll that showed more than half the people used "iPhone" as a generic name.
It was the year Android toppled iOS in market share
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/...ns-about-2011/

Today it is a different game...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 06:27 PM

Many times when I use my phone for (insert app name) in front of friends, many will say that I have a nice "iphone". Too bad. It's an HTC One.

Maybe this is due that smartphone at one time had iphones as being the most popular. Although this is not true anymore, the name still sticks around today.

Other times, I have had people ask me what brand of iphone I had. Not a lie.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 06:39 PM
Veteran

People in my circles, including non tech ones, either know iPhone/iPad or iPhone/iPad and Android, no matter which brand of Android device they're running.

Now, if only Google would start saluting Linux, which is the core of Android, Chromebooks and the entire Google server network. Thanks to smart phones, tablets, Chromebooks and more, Linux is now by far the most popular OS in the world.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-28, 04:13 PM
Veteran

^ Linux was there far before any of the devices you mentioned. Most people have one maybe two Windows PCs in their home. Yet they probably also had a router, TV, Blu-ray player, etc that ran Linux. But we're drifting OT ;-)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-30, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe this is due that smartphone at one time had iphones as being the most popular. Although this is not true anymore, the name still sticks around today.
That depends on how the consumers mentally rank smartphone share.

On this forum, we tend to rank based on operating system share and that favours Android over iOS.

General consumers, though, might tend to rank on hardware manufacturer since that's more casually obvious. In any given model year, there are more Apple phones than any one Android maker.

Companies that originally define a category or an era tend to earn name stickiness too:

iPhone=smartphone
Kleenex=tissue
Ski-Doo=snowmobile
Xerox=photocopier
Heimlich=abdominal thrusts
Band-Aid=bandage
Etc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-31, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
In any given model year, there are more Apple phones than any one Android maker.
Not really the case since last year in the US and the year before that - in the world
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/05/tech...-market-share/
http://bgr.com/2012/05/01/apple-sams...-market-share/

But it remains true for any one model of any Android maker...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-03-31, 03:43 PM
Veteran

Not sure if that's true....even your own linked story questions it:

Quote:
Canaccord's report does not factor in non-wireless stores, including the Apple store. And an April report from data tracker comScore (SCOR) still suggests that Apple holds a significant advantage over Samsung in the United States -- 39% to 22%.
And as for the second link, you can never use a single-quarter snapshot to project Apple's full-year performance. Since they have a product release only once per year, you would either be grossly over- or understating the reality spending on which quarter you choose.

At any rate, let's just agree to disagree...there's wild variation in the analysts reports, and it's a no-win debate in a situation where one manufacturer reports actuals and the other manufacturer doesn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in