Android Retail outlets and exposure - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-12-22, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Apple haters are funny...if not irrational. Apple customers don't want everything, they want what they have to work really, really well. That's what they gladly pay premium price for, because they know the total cost of ownership is lower.[/OFFTOPIC]

I like the idea of Samsung stores, too. I think Samsung realizes they have the upper hand in the relationship with Android and they need to control their own message (via the stores) and their own product roadmap (via Tizen).
Do you not think that Android users want their products to work really well either? The Galaxy lineup or the HTC lineup are neither cheap nor ill thought of products for quality. How are these people irrational? In that same breath, would you not consider Android haters irrational? I paid a premium price for my SIII because I wanted an amazing phone that would last me years because I can't stand products that don't last.

Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, Samsung BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy Speakers, Paradigm PDR-12" Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-12-23, 12:45 AM
Veteran

I agree with you. The high-end Samsung phones are fine products, and for the most part, set far apart from the Android pack. This is exactly why Samsung needs their own stores. They need to promote the fact that they are not another low-price Android phone, and they can compete with the best-of-breed.

That just ain't gonna happen if the phones are chained to a table in Best Buy along with every other Android-of-the Month running last year's OS version.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-12-23, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Gorniak View Post
The Galaxy lineup or the HTC lineup are neither cheap nor ill thought of products for quality.
Samsung and Apple are the only two players in this market that play the same game.
Namely: The one with more money and lawyers - wins!

HTC gets all the design awards (and Samsung ridiculed for the plastic casing of the Galaxy lineup)
but can't monetize it. And can't catch a break from Nokia lawsuits.
The very fact Apple settled with them can mean just one thing: they are a margin player,
aka it is not worth paying the lawyers to go after them.

Samsung had a $12B marketing budget this year and plans to increase it to $14B in the next.
In 2-3 years, when the lawsuits between the two are finally over, Samsung will owe Apple $1-2B including lawyers' fees.
That is less than 10% of the marketing budget over the same time! In other words: cost of doing business!!

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-12-24, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
There's a bit of a difference between doctors, dentists etc. and a retail store. Imagine if Loblaws required an appointment so you could buy your groceries. Also, medical professionals will generally take urgent/emergency cases without an appointment.
The appointments are only required for tech support and training sessions. The alternative would be waiting in line for hours wondering if someone will actually see you.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-12-24, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Apple haters are funny...if not irrational. Apple customers don't want everything, they want what they have to work really, really well.
And even within the walled garden, not everything always works really, really well.

Potential Apple customers have been sold on the notion that the Apple ecosystem works flawlessly and all of the Apple devices work together in perfect harmony.

Reality is that both official Apple support and fan/community forums are full of people asking about how to resolve problems.

Apple is not somehow magically immune to interoperability issues. After all, this is why they have Genius Bars and tech support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in