Nexus 5 announced, now available on the Play Store - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Yup. Have you used it with an Android phone in the past?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 12:26 PM

Yes ,and had it working. But this time it just asks for domain name. And not username. , what did you put under domain. Domain\username...
post #63 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

My setup did not ask for domain, just username

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #64 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Angry

Grrr.... my Nexus 5 speaker stopped working as of this morning. Seems it has for a few others too, judging by what I could find on the webs.

A couple of calls to Google, and they are sending me a new unit. Hope they kept a few in stock for RMA's!
post #65 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 05:57 PM

lovin mine too.

speaker is a bit weak but its so nice and clean. should last many many years.
post #66 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 06:41 PM
Veteran

rsambuca: Curious. Are they sending you a replacement while you continue using this one? Why did it take a few calls?

Just curious on a customer service level how they are.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #67 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 07:06 PM

I'm personnally not in the market for an android phone, but am curious as to why would anyone who was buy any other android but this one at that price. How is it that samsung is the big seller when this would appear to me to be a way better deal?
post #68 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 07:20 PM

Android ART

So this might be more related to OS 4.4 rather than Nexus 5, but N5 is only one using 4.4. So I thought I would ask.

Android ART did anyone try it ? Does it really make a difference or is it experimental ?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...d-battery-life
post #69 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 08:14 PM
Veteran

When was the last time you saw a Google ad on TV? Or even an Android OS ad?
Samsung has deep advertising pockets.. Im not even sure Samsung uses the words android or google in any of there ads(thought i had read that somewhere that they never mention either)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh dont let the masses know about our little deal

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #70 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 08:23 PM
Veteran

Poor people don't think in terms of total cost, they think in terms of "monthly price". These are the sort of people who don't know how much their car is going to cost them, they just know the monthly payment amount. This is how they remain poor.

It reminds me of that South Park episode where Cartman tries out Nascar.

Anyway, there are a lot of people who don't do the math when they're faced with a new cell phone purchase. They just see "iPhone - $199". They don't see "$100 * 24 + $200 = $2600 + $tax" for two years with a smartphone.

So, since much of the phone cost is buried in the monthly price, and since carriers put a healthy mark-up on the Nexus 5, it doesn't really seem much different than most phone contracts.

The smart people in the room have a Nexus 5 on Wind. Or perhaps if they're not in the Wind service area, they may have one of those $60 6GB plans from Koodo, or something comparable.

I'm totally in favor of phones like the Nexus 5 or the Nokia 520 "$99 phone" sort of products, along with a economical phone service.
post #71 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmrbh View Post
I'm personnally not in the market for an android phone, but am curious as to why would anyone who was buy any other android but this one at that price. How is it that samsung is the big seller when this would appear to me to be a way better deal?
Price is not always the overriding concern when purchasing a phone. Samsung's touchwiz interface and their “value add" features are very appealing to mainstream consumers.
post #72 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 01:03 AM
Rookie

I can't say I know much about this, trying to learn. If I buy a Nexus 5 from the Play store, can I get it activated on Telus? Or am I forced to buy it from Telus to use it on Telus? Thanks.
post #73 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 01:33 AM
Veteran

All you need to do is purchase a MicroSIM card from Telus, and purchase a plan. At the very worst, they might need your phone's IMEI number for the data plan. You DON'T have to get the phone from Telus.
post #74 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 09:25 AM

My Nexus 5 is in town and should be delivered today according to the UPS tracking info.

Woot!

Android rocks!
post #75 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 01:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
rsambuca: Curious. Are they sending you a replacement while you continue using this one? Why did it take a few calls?

Just curious on a customer service level how they are.
Yeah, they are sending me a new one. I can continue to use the one I have until it arrives. They put a pre-authorization for the full amount of the 2nd phone on my credit card, which they will remove once I send the old one back to them. They emailed me the UPS labels for sending it back. They said I will have 21 days after receipt of the second phone to get the first phone back to them before the charge goes through on my card.

It took two calls because the first guy emailed me some info (which was useless) on adjusting the sound settings. I called again and they took me through a factory reset to ensure it was indeed a hardware issue, and after that, she sent me a link for ordering the replacement phone.

It was actually very quick and efficient.

Unfortunately I have to keep using this phone without a working ringer or speaker as none of the phones I have kicking around (Nexus 1 - great phone, Galaxy Nexus - crap phone) use a microSIM.

I just checked and it says it will ship by Nov 26th. Looks like I will be missing a few calls in the next few weeks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in