Nexus 5 announced, now available on the Play Store - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeDR View Post
Pinto, how did you overcome this?
It just allowed me to ship to Canada when stock was again available, I believe it's a glitch that happens when inventory gets low. I never disabled my unblock-us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 10:17 AM

I finally took my chromebook to McDonald's this morning and used their wifi. Placed a Nexus5 16gb order with no problem, so my dificulties are obviously due to my home internet account.

One month delivery period. ouch.
post #48 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-05, 01:23 AM
Veteran

Mine will be here next Thursday.

post #49 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-05, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Mine is scheduled for deliver by end of day on Friday Nov 8th. UPS site says it left Hodgkins, IN at 4:51 this morning.

Guess I had better get a sim card cutter before Friday.
post #50 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 09:51 AM

Mine had an original shipping date of Nov 22nd. Its on the truck for delivery today! Nov 6th! Sweet!

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #51 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mine arrived about an hour ago. I'm running through the setup now.

Early impressions: I really like the soft-touch backing. It doesn't quite have the premium feel of the glass-backed Nexus 4, but because that glass is so darn slippery and fragile, I never take it out of its case anyway. This is still nice, and far more utilitarian.

The screen size difference is immediately noticeable, and I think they've enlarged some UI elements. the overall effect is nice, at least so far.

Update with more:

This thing is really, really fast. My Nexus 4 was no slouch, but this phone smokes it.

Almost all the extra screen size is in the vertical, which makes it just as comfortable to use and access for me as the NExus 4. However, I have big hands.

The transparent nav and notification bars feel completely natural. However, the WiFi and mobile signal icons are now always white, and they no longer have the transmission indicator arrows. I'll miss those a lot, as they let me know when I was having network problems. I'm also not a fan of the new settings icon; I liked the old one better.

I'm not sure that I'm a fan of having Google Now to the left. I like Google Now's contextual updates in the notification shade, but I almost never actually open the app. This feels like a bit of a waste of quick-access screen real estate.

Otherwise, the UI changes all seem for the better so far. There are a lot of little ones.

Rolling SMS into hangouts is a nice touch. I almost never use SMS anymore, since I IM almost everyone I know, and having that extra app I almost never opened was annoying. However, they really need to do a better job of integration. I want to be able to integrate SMS into conversations with people who I also take with on gtalk, like iOS, rather than having different conversations based on the medium. I also want my SMS to be forwarded by my phone so that I can open hangouts on my desktop, chromebook, or tablet, and continue SMS conversations through those devices. I use mightytext for that functionality right now, but an integrated solution would be far better.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #52 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-07, 07:56 PM

Nexus 5

So just got my Nexus 5. Ordered it from Google Play.

Looking at box I don't see 1700 frequency ?

Help guys, did anyone buy it ? Have to know if this thing will work on Wind.

Btw Box is sealed otherwise I would insert Sim and know.
post #53 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-07, 08:13 PM
Rookie

I am up and running with wind. Works great
post #54 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-07, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Works perfectly with Wind. Make sure you change the network type to 3G from LTE in the network settings

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #55 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-07, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys. Been using for 15 mins. At the risk of sounding like a Apple fanboy....I Love it so far.

Changing over from Nexus 4.

BTW my house WiFi has ac....so feeling a real difference. Also screen is so much better.
post #56 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 01:04 AM
Veteran

Tried to record an unboxing video, screwed it up royally. Gotta redo it. It'll become a "reunboxing" video.

Pretty happy with it. The OS is not too different from Jellybean that people will be confused by it. Now I have to load my media on it. Lots of stuff to transfer over.
post #57 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 02:17 PM
Veteran

KitKat is definitely a winner. It's an improvement that didn't stray too far away from its roots, and won't confuse the heck out of those who are already used to stock Jellybean.

I tried to film an unboxing video last night, but completely screwed up both the audio and the video! I'll try again this weekend, and call it a "re-unboxing" video. One big advantage of going this route is that the video will be much shorter, with all of the preparatory work already completed (OS update, assigning accounts, reloading all apps, reconfiguration, reloading all media...). Some of the unboxing videos on YouTube can go on forever.

Definitely happy with the overall improvements, especially the jump from 16 GB to 32 GB which I desperately needed. I'm still debating if I want to bury the phone in a TPU case. The white back I have actually looks pretty nice.
post #58 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 08:43 PM
Veteran

if you end up using nova launcher... I set up a upward swipe gesture to bring on google now. I never comes up by mistake like a side swipe might... Im not sure if KITKAT will allow you to create the gesture?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #59 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 09:32 PM
Veteran

That's okay. I prefer that the phone remain as "stock" as possible. Plus, there's an "Off" switch in the settings if the "OK Google" voice command does become a nuisance.
post #60 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-12, 10:38 AM

i cant get my work exchnage email to work, has anyone else got this up and running?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in