Nexus 5 announced, now available on the Play Store - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

My two shipped last night. According to UPS, I should have them by Wednesday.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 11:45 AM

Crap, mine are back to 3-4 weeks until shipped.. hope I have your luck TorontoColin.
post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Is the Nexus 5 going to be offered by the carriers? It's a shame not to get a discount out of them if they're building a subsidy into my monthly cost anyway. Or maybe I should order the N5 directly and use my upgrade credit to get an iphone and give it to my kids.

post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I believe all the carriers will be offering it, and possibly even all the flankers. However, the subsidy won't be substantial (I'd expect $250 at the most) so if your kids do want an iPhone, you'd be better off going that route and getting the $400 or $500 subsidy on that.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 02:05 PM
Veteran

At $250 (savings) that's a little more than $10/month over the course of a 24 month contract. Plus I'd have to bump up from my current (old old plan) which is $65/month to their current plans of $70 or more realistically $80/month. So it's probably close to a wash. I'll keep my upgrade credits and order direct from Google then.
post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 03:28 PM
Veteran

my 60$ plan is now 120$ if i renew.. So outright will be the way i continue on... .hmmmm how to sneak one of these past the wife LOL

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 04:43 PM

I've been out of contract for a while but have a pretty good deal with Rogers, so I will continue to buy outright. That being said, I saw Rogers/Fido will sell the phone for $500. Not sure if that's the 16 or 32 gig unit.
post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 05:28 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I would rather buy direct from Google, so that the carriers don't get in the way to limit what's available, delay updates etc. I also have a decent plan with Rogers, so I don't want to change it.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-02, 10:54 PM
Veteran

They won't. Carrier versions will be the same as those offered by Google. Just like the Nexus 4. Google learned their lesson from the Galaxy Nexus mess.
post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-03, 12:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto View Post
I've been out of contract for a while but have a pretty good deal with Rogers, so I will continue to buy outright. That being said, I saw Rogers/Fido will sell the phone for $500. Not sure if that's the 16 or 32 gig unit.
A poster in another forum had an interesting theory for the grossly inflated price. It's NOT to sell the phone at a huge profit. It's so that the carrier can charge steeper cancellation fees on subsidized devices.

Regrettably, most people can't see beyond the subsidized price, and end up spending a whole lot more on their mobile phone service than they should.
post #41 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-03, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
They won't. Carrier versions will be the same as those offered by Google. Just like the Nexus 4. Google learned their lesson from the Galaxy Nexus mess.
I purchased my Galaxy Nexus (Samsung)from Rogers when it was released.. pure vanilla and carrier unlocked. I tested my T-Mobile card in it before putting down my money. I did have to root it and change builds to get the updates directly from Google, but it was far from being a mess, unless you're referring to something else?
post #42 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-03, 09:23 AM

pinto. having to unlock it and install updates on your own is a mess....

was terrible the way the original nexus was handled.
post #43 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-03, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Agreed. The carrier versions of the Galaxy Nexus were indeed unlocked and with un-customized Android but they were still carrier specific builds and hence no upgrades.

And for you pinto it may not have been difficult to root and put a custom build on but it was beyond the scope of what you could walk a senior citizen through over the phone - I couldn't exactly walk my mother in law through the process from 2,000 miles away.

So since the carrier versions of the GN were supposed to be the same as the Google direct versions I would also call how they handled it a mess.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I put in my order for the N5 directly from Google.
post #44 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-03, 05:01 PM
Veteran

My phone has shipped! The 3-4 weeks became 3-4 days!
post #45 of 128 (permalink) Old 2013-11-03, 05:37 PM

I still can't get it to allow a Canadian address. Frustrating. I shut off Unblockus. I can put one into the shopping cart, but when I go to checkout it tells me I must enter a shipping address but only gives me USA template to choose from. I have tried to enter 'google play canada' to make sure I am going to the Canadian store.

My girlfriend tried through her Gmail account, same problem. She re entered her address on google wallet, but when she goes to checkout, it says 'can't ship to that address'

Pinto, how did you overcome this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in