iOS car integration - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 01:18 PM

It's great that we're getting further and further away from a unified standard that works with all devices.

I guess Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, CitroŽn, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota won't be selling too many cars to Android, Windows Phone or BlackBerry users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 01:56 PM

Doesn't make a difference to me anyway. For one I don't use an iPhone, and two, using any of this iOS integration in the car is strictly forbidden by BC's Motor Vehicle Act.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 01:57 PM

I'm sure that this would be available as an optional upgrade, not a standard feature. Especially since Honda, GM, and Hyundai already signed on to Google's Open Automotive Alliance. They'll all use whatever they think will sell the most cars.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
It's great that we're getting further and further away from a unified standard that works with all devices.
Actually, the underpinnings of CarPlay are quite standards friendly....the car head unit is simply "playing a video" from the iPhone and sending back pressed touchscreen coordinates....that doesn't require anything onerous from the automaker and doesn't exclude any other platform.

Sorry about your luck being in a leftist nanny state in BC.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Sorry about your luck being in a leftist nanny state in BC.
Doesn't bother me, I still burn CDs for the car.

As this technology becomes more common, distracted driving crashes will continue to rise. Just what we need, Angry Birds mirrored on a car's video screen.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

They seem aware of that issue and aim to work around it, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of the phone parsing my data to guess where I want to go. Can you imagine driving to a restaurant with the wife, and the navi puts up your girlfriends address because it's in the same general direction?

Quote:
In announcing CarPlay on Monday, Apple revealed that the new iPhone-driven system will intelligently interpret data from a user's handset to predict where a driver may be heading. This could allow for much simpler navigation, negating the need to enter in an address for a final destination.

CarPlay will predict where a user is most likely headed go by detecting addresses in emails, text messages, contacts and calendars. Likely destinations can then be presented to the user, who can simply select one and then be on their way.

It's this artificial-intelligence-like system that may prove to be the defining feature for CarPlay, analyst Maynard Um of Wells Fargo believes. He views the contextual awareness of Apple's new vehicle system as the most interesting announcement made by the company on Monday.

Um also believes that the ability of iOS devices to automatically obtain information needed, rather than requiring users to search for it themselves, has great potential that goes beyond CarPlay. He believes that new functionality could be a "key to ecosystem differentiation," and could become an important facet of iOS going forward.

In addition, Um believes that CarPlay will help to lock in existing iPhone users, tying them more into Apple's mobile ecosystem of accessories and applications that work seamlessly on iOS.

The automated functionality of CarPlay is also a key aspect for Apple, which is pushing the safety of its system in its promotional materials. In addition to automatically recommending addresses, CarPlay also works with the voice-driven personal assistant Siri to allow hands-free control and eyes-free dictation and receipt of text message
s.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-06-15, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Honda Canada released audio head unit firmware upgrade this week for Siri Eyes Free in the 2013 and 2014 Accords...I'm finally getting what I was looking for when I bought the car in January:
  • Selecting music via voice recognition (Honda only does that on highest trim levels)
  • Listening and responding to email/SMS via voice (Honda had a very limited Bluetooth profile for this)
  • Navigation, albeit only audio directions, but at least I save thousands versus OEM navi
  • Getting geo- and time-based reminders.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-06-15, 05:08 PM
Veteran

I think CarPlay looks really compelling. I hope future car integration works that way - that the car only tries to provide an additional (larger) display and remote microphone and speakers for your smartphone. Just a set of peripheral devices.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
People buy cars based on how well they integrate with a phone and not for how they drive?
Yup, I called it!

Quote:
However, Ford CEO Mark Fields previously told Re/Code that "we don't want to end up (like) the handset business ... we want to make sure you are not pushed into a decision on a $40,000 car based on your $200 smartphone." As such, the company is trying to be flexible by giving users an Android Auto or CarPlay option, but also having its own smartphone link system.
Toyota joins Ford's infotainment fight against Google, Apple
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-01-04, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Get a Tesla Model S or X. The best in-car technology, although not perfect, and the best car/SUV.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-01-19, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I will be front of the line when the Tesla Model 3 is available for order.

Lots has changed in the two years since this thread was started; two emerging standards are now ubiquitous in new car models. Ford is talking out both sides of their mouth with SDL, since they are supporting CarPlay and even updating past model years with Siri Eyes Free.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-01-20, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
I will be front of the line when the Tesla Model 3 is available for order.
Can't get any of those electric things in a stick shift though.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-01-20, 12:21 PM
Veteran

You can shift in forward and reverse. Like a golf cart!
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2016-01-21, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Nope, that's because they're direct drive and there's no gears to shift. Crazy powerful, though.

Tags
ios siri auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in