iOS car integration - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 03:54 PM

If I'm driving I'm trying to pay attention to traffic. The last thing I want to be thinking about is having an SMS conversation via text-to-speech.

And we wonder why the overall quality of driving seems to be taking a dive lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 04:04 PM

Then don't respond to text messages. It's just one of many things your phone can do when hooked into a decent system. Do you also not listen to music in your car?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 05:07 PM

Why would one want to do ANY of those things while driving?
I get my songs from Sirius, don't make calls while driving, haven't received a text in years, use a garmin and paper maps for nav.
I guess this makes me very old fashioned.

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Do you also not listen to music in your car?
Of course I do.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
Why would one want to do ANY of those things while driving?
I get my songs from Sirius, don't make calls while driving, haven't received a text in years, use a garmin and paper maps for nav.
I guess this makes me very old fashioned.
Not necessarily (well, maybe the paper maps), but not everybody is going to be like you. I don't have Sirius. I don't often make calls while driving, but I often receive calls I need to take, as a part of my job. And I use my phone for all my navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Of course I do.
So then surely you can at least see the value in being able to play off your phone and change songs/playlists hands free? The point is that not everybody has the same needs as you, but that doesn't make them any less valid.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-28, 10:40 AM
Veteran

iOS car integration

I use the MyFord Touch on my 14 Escape with my iPhone. I love the fact that I can control my iPhone playlist with voice or the steering wheel mounted controls.

There are limitations with the Ford system. It will read out loud your received text messages, but you can't reply. The system will recognize Siri, but you have to activate it from the iPhone first. I was even able to use the new iTunes Radio by connecting my iPhone with a USB cable. I haven't tried with Bluetooth yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-10-28, 10:58 AM
Veteran

The other thing not really mentioned is that the best real-time traffic monitoring that I have seen is in the Waze app for Smartphones. So even if all that you care about is driving then this will help you get to where you are going quicker if you drive in places with traffic congestion - which is the case for me as I commute on the 401 in Toronto most days. And it can also warn you of speed traps, etc.

My 2013 Lexus GS has pretty good speech recognition and it does read in the library of songs from my iPod which is plugged in via USB. It can read emails and texts and respond but that isn't working in my current iPhone due to a corporate security setting on my phone. But I still find the system very much wanting compared to the capability of an iPad.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-11-27, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Also, The official Honda twitter feed says that full iOS in the Car for 2014 models will be announced via a Google Hangout on 03 December. Looks like I can go shopping now
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-11-27, 07:44 PM
Veteran

Hahaha, I wonder if the irony is lost on them
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-11-27, 09:34 PM
Veteran

I wonder if this will be available in Canada or just the US? My Lexus car has something called Enform but it is only available in the US.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-11-27, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Hahaha, I wonder if the irony is lost on them
Probably won't be irony, because I think they will announce Android integration at the same time!

Quote:
I wonder if this will be available in Canada or just the US? My Lexus car has something called Enform but it is only available in the US.
I thought about that, too....I would not hesitate to bring a car up from the US if that were the case.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-01-21, 03:15 PM

Just thought I'd add some info here since I have some experience with the Chevy MyLink system now...

I recently purchased a 2014 Chevrolet Trax LTZ and it has a 7" touchscreen interface with their MyLink system built in. With an iPhone, that means while it is connected to the usb input it will send the BringGo navigation software from your iPhone app to the 7" screen. It will do the same for the TuneIn app, Stitcher app, and (in the U.S.) Pandora app. Apparently with Android it will do this via Bluetooth. Having a nav system that can be viewed on the vehicle's screen but updated through the phone is a nice alternative to pricier installed systems.

Through bluetooth it will play music off the iPhone, do phone calls, do Siri Eyes Free, etc.

There is actually no CD player with this system but in my previous vehicle I barely ever used the CD player anymore so I was fine giving that up (I also have XM in the Trax, so I have plenty of music options anyway).

Overall I'm pretty happy with the system. GM also lets you start your car and unlock/lock doors via the OnStar remote iPhone app and apparently that is free for 5 years if you activate it during the OnStar trial period. I'll be setting that up soon. I think it would be great to start my vehicle in the econo-lot at the airport after my plane has landed :-)
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-01-21, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yup, I've done the OnStar remote start upon landing many times my personal best was starting it from Shanghai, but that just out of badness.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-01-21, 09:11 PM
Veteran

Ottawa based company want to make things better in our cars... MyFordSync is not really what i had hoped it would be. More and more i just wish i had McGivered a NEXUS7 into the dash instead

http://youilabs.com/blog/the_hive.html

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 2014-03-03, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re-christened CarPlay, and available now:

Quote:
GENEVA―March 3, 2014―Apple® today announced that leading auto manufacturers are rolling out CarPlay, the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhone® in the car. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch. Users can easily control CarPlay from the car’s native interface or just push-and-hold the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate Siri® without distraction. Vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will premiere CarPlay to their drivers this week, while additional auto manufacturers bringing CarPlay to their drivers down the road include BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.

“CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. “iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we’re thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva.”

Apple has led consumer technology integration in the car for more than a decade. CarPlay brings your car and iPhone together for a thoughtful experience that lets drivers focus on driving, while also tapping into everything they want to do with their iPhone.

Once iPhone is connected to a vehicle with CarPlay integration, Siri helps you easily access your contacts, make calls, return missed calls or listen to voicemails. When incoming messages or notifications arrive, Siri provides an eyes-free experience by responding to requests through voice commands, by reading drivers’ messages and letting them dictate responses or simply make a call.

CarPlay makes driving directions more intuitive by working with Maps to anticipate destinations based on recent trips via contacts, emails or texts, and provides routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA. You can also simply ask Siri and receive spoken turn-by-turn directions, along with Maps, which will appear on your car’s built-in display.

CarPlay gives drivers access to all of their music, podcasts, audiobooks and iTunes Radio℠ with easy navigation through listening choices from the car’s built-in controls or simply by asking Siri to pull up what you’d like to hear. CarPlay also supports select third-party audio apps including Spotify and iHeartRadio, so you can listen to your favorite radio services or sports broadcast apps while driving.

Pricing & Availability
Apple CarPlay is available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5. CarPlay will be available in select cars shipping in 2014.

Tags
ios siri auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in