The Post-Apple Era - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Arthur, you may dismiss the importance of these $100 smartphones if you like, but your posts betray your limited knowledge of the subject (both the MP3 player market and the smartphone market), so don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 02:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Arthur, I think you have a poor memory. There were lots of competing players to the iPod from companies like Creative Labs, Sony, Archos, Cowon, iRiver, Microsoft, etc. And they weren't $10 pieces of junk either. They were usually priced in the same price range as Apple products.
And, regrettably, they were still junk.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 06:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Yes. I totally agree

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 11:18 AM

cowan and archos mp3 players were not junk
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
This is an IBM 350 hard drive from 1956.

The next storage milestone is the Petabyte hard drive.

Or should we lower the bar just a little bit?

It's true that, today, there's very little innovation going, mainly because we're currently in a technological "comfort zone." We like what we have, and we don't see a need to upgrade to anything significantly new. But one day, someone will create something that's going to change the rules once again, and everyone will want a piece of it. It's just how we are.

And what will be the next innovative breakthrough? How the heck would I know? It hasn't been invented yet!
Going from the IBM 350 to terrabyte hard drives was not one big jump. It was a long series of incremental improvements. Battery technology has been around longer than hard drive technology (about a hundred years longer) so it's more mature. Still, ask yourself how long a battery from 1956 would power an iPhone if it had the iPhone battery's size and weight. My guess is that it'd be like comparing the 350 to the terrabyte hard drives we have today.
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I had one of the 1st gen Ipods. While it was great to use, the quality was inferior to the Sony HD3 walkman I replaced it with. The Ipod would randomly turn off and the (non-replaceable) battery died after 3 years. For a $600 device I found this unacceptable. The Sony on the other hand, while not being as nice to use, was rock solid and still works perfectly fine 8 years later.
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN
My guess is that it'd be like comparing the 350 to the terrabyte hard drives we have today.
Well, batteries have improved a lot, but nothing like the orders of magnitude that we've seen in the computer industry. Doubling the capabilities of batteries doesn't happen so often, but doubling storage capacity happened a lot, for instance when we went from 1TB drives to 2TB drives in a single iteration.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 01:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Arthur, you may dismiss the importance of these $100 smartphones if you like, but your posts betray your limited knowledge of the subject (both the MP3 player market and the smartphone market), so don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously.
That's for me to worry. You better elaborate on how the "premium" $100 smartphone from Nokia can serve as an example for Apple. How is it working out for Nokia?

P.S. I forgot to thank you for the little known fact that you brought to our attention a few posts back. Who knew!

Quote:
Arthur, I think you have a poor memory. There were lots of competing players to the iPod from companies like Creative Labs, Sony, Archos, Cowon, iRiver, Microsoft, etc. And they weren't $10 pieces of junk either. They were usually priced in the same price range as Apple products.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well, batteries have improved a lot, but nothing like the orders of magnitude that we've seen in the computer industry. Doubling the capabilities of batteries doesn't happen so often, but doubling storage capacity happened a lot, for instance when we went from 1TB drives to 2TB drives in a single iteration.
I dunno, rechargeable batteries is one of the biggest innovations in handheld anything

I think what people are mucking about tho, isn't so much innovation, but paradigm shifting technologies

adding more whizbang, while innovative at that individual whatsit level is great, it doesn't change how an item is used really. adding more memory, or more battery doesn't change how I use my phone

adding bluetooth tho did change how/when I could use my phone

adding accelerometers and gps changed/innovated how it was used, even tho they were common technologies somewhere else

so you're equally right saying the new iphone has some innovations on it that make it better than last years, but at the same time, it's just an incremental refresh that doesn't change anything
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 2013-09-19, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
You better elaborate on how the "premium" $100 smartphone from Nokia can serve as an example for Apple.
Where did I call the Lumia 520 a premium smartphone? By quoting premium you're inferring I said that somewhere, but I didn't.

What I am saying is that the this class of device is going to be very popular in the high growth areas of the world, and the decision to not participate in that market will be very costly to Apple in the future for the reasons I outlined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
I forgot to thank you for the little known fact that you brought to our attention a few posts back. Who knew!
What, that Apple made a iPod Shuffle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in