New Apple iPhone(s) - 5C & 5S - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 11:44 AM

Perhaps it's model specific? I could easily see only 257 white 16 GB models being reserved online through Rogers

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Going to order a 5S through Telus tonight. I was presently surprised that I could order one on a 2 yr contract and still get to keep my plan. I just have to add an add-on to get my bill over $70/month. Glad I can keep my 6gb promo plan.
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
Going to order a 5S through Telus tonight. I was presently surprised that I could order one on a 2 yr contract and still get to keep my plan. I just have to add an add-on to get my bill over $70/month. Glad I can keep my 6gb promo plan.
That's the reason I won't be ordering one, I have an awesome plan with my 5 so I'm not going to pay another $10 a month on useless options to get the 5S

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 06:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Perhaps it's model specific? I could easily see only 257 white 16 GB models being reserved online through Rogers
i bet you're right but that means that 36 people were faster than I was and I completed my upgrade/purchase at 6:33 EDT, 3 mins after they opened.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 07:27 PM

Maybe some were already reserved or tests of the system?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 08:29 PM
Veteran

So I have now moved up to #35, I wonder if that means 2 were shipped or did two people cancel their order for some reason. But no notification of shipping - I wonder how Rogers decides how many to keep for online orders vs shipping to stores.
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 09:43 PM

I'm on my first full day with the 5S and apart from the novelty aspect and the childish looks of iOS7, it feels and looks exactly the same as the 5 except for the utter convenience of the fingerprint reader which actually works quite well and that alone was worth the upgrade. I also find the cellular radio to be a bit better (read more sensitive) at holding on to calls while the Montreal subway, the Wi-Fi side of things however is still as near-sighted as ever.

I work for a company that enforces password protection screen lock as part of its MS Exchange policies and picking up the iphone to enter the 4-digit unlock code 10 times an hour is (gggrrrr) but with the fingerprint reader enabled, life's almost a breeze and I bet after a week of it I'll never be able to look back. And I hope the hardware behind this finger scanning technology holds its own through the next year because with all the demands on the home button, it's bound to show its limitations but the phone like it's been the case since the 4, is solid built and I'm hopeful.

I've also tried the rear camera without the flash and while I can't say it's anything close to a DSLR, it certainly picks up much less video noise in low light.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-20, 09:44 PM
Veteran

Uhhhg wifes iphone 4 button is toast... thinking of upgrading. but dang these new 2 year plans are BS! I want the 3 year options back. I was never excited about these coming as i knew they would just jam the subsidies into 2 years... But look at the math..

Current plan 50$/m x 36 months= 1800 or $600 per year
New equivalent plan 80$/m x 24 months= 1920 or $920 per year

At this point she is at 1200$ spent and can buy out phone for 230....

I know off topic.. but she does want an iphone5s if she jumps

sorry for the vent.

I wish the 5c came in more solid colors as apposed to the pastel pallet of callers..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelMaster View Post
I work for a company that enforces password protection screen lock as part of its MS Exchange policies and picking up the iphone to enter the 4-digit unlock code 10 times an hour is (gggrrrr) but with the fingerprint reader enabled, life's almost a breeze and I bet after a week of it I'll never be able to look back.
They allow you 4 digit passwords? We have to use strong passwords - 8 characters including upper and lower case alpha plus numeric plus symbols. Four characters is simple to brute force, at least from the backup file.
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 03:53 PM

Well I suppose the IT guy felt like a minimum had to be enforced while at the same time he didn't want to antagonize anyone. And at least breaking into a phone will require brute force but I suspect that as my peers move up to iOS7, breaking will require much more muscles.

On another topic, I'd like to ad that since the release of iOS7.0.1, yesterday afternoon, the battery doesn't seem to drain as fast.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 04:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelMaster View Post
And at least breaking into a phone will require brute force but I suspect that as my peers move up to iOS7, breaking will require much more muscles.
Or the phone thieves will start carrying garden shears to snap off the owner's index finger.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 05:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Or the phone thieves will start carrying garden shears to snap off the owner's index finger.
This finger print scanner will not work with a cut off finger, according to Apple.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Apparently, you can make any calls from a locked iPhone. International calls too. Not just emergency calls.
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 07:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
This finger print scanner will not work with a cut off finger, according to Apple.
How do they know this?
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 2013-09-21, 10:26 PM
Veteran

What I read is it is designed to work with the living skin underneath the top layer of skin. It something like that. Can't remember exactly how. Maybe google it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in