Google announces new Nexus 7, Android 4.3 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 07:41 AM
Veteran

^^^^
A friend of mine bought one last week in Mississauga. IIRC, he got it from Canada Computers.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 07:44 AM

How is your battery performance since the 4.3 update? I seem to be charging mine a lot more than before the 4.3 update. I will have to dig into the battery app to see what is chewing through the batteries.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 12:35 PM
Veteran

The new Nexus 7 was in the Best Buy and Futureshop flyers here in Calgary today.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 12:41 PM
Veteran

That's because the only market they have been released in so far is the US, the UK released date has been confirmed as the 28th August so other markets including Canada should follow along soon.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

I believe that's the 16 GB model which is available in Canada. Has anyone seen the 32 GB pop up anywhere?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 06:35 PM
Veteran

32gb is available for pre-order at Best Buy & Future Shop, its released on the 16th
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 06:45 PM

It's also available in-store at Canada Computers... the locations where it's not sold out, of course. It was available online at CC as well this morning, but it's back ordered online at the moment...
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 07:06 PM
Veteran

I've ordered one at NCIX last Sunday. Well, back-ordered actually. Their current ETA is August 13, but I don't know how far down I am on the pre-order list. Since everyone is pretty much in the same boat, I can wait a while longer.

J&R had the 32 GB model listed as sold out on their site last week. Now it's not even listed anymore! And the 16 GB model can only be purchased in-store!

It's last November's Nexus 4 debacle all over again!
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-13, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Status as of the morning of August 13.

The 16GB model is pretty easy to find just about anywhere in Canada, but very few people want it.

The 32GB model WAS listed as a pre-order on FS and BB's Web sites, with expected availability on August 16. Both sites are already sold out, and their Web sites won't take any more orders.

The availability from B&H and J&R in the States is mostly a crapshoot. At this moment, both sites are listing the 32GB model as "in stock", but there's no way to know for sure what's available anymore as availability changes every few minutes, including the 16GB model which is also occasionally listed as "sold out" or "in-store only". Plus, you need to take into account the shipping and brokerage charges, and the cost of returns if your unit is defective.

Shopbot only finds two places in Canada that list the 32GB model, NCIX and Memory Express, both places out of stock, and no date as to when it'll be available again. I'm still waiting for my order at NCIX to be fulfilled, along with a lot of other people.

Google's own Web site still lists both models as "coming Soon."

You do have to give some credit to Google and Asus for their "efficiency." They'll never have to worry about producing too many units!

EDIT: My order has shipped!
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-13, 03:26 PM

I managed to get a 32GB Nexus 7 on Saturday at the Canada Computers store in London. On Saturday their web site was showing 8 available in London (4 at each of the two London locations). Now they are showing only one.

As of today the Canada Computers web site is showing there are still a few stores with stock of the 32GB model:

Hamilton Mountain has 1
Kingston has 4
Barrie has 1
London has 1
St Catharines has 1
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-18, 11:33 PM
Veteran

The Nexus 7 is now available on-line at the Google Play Store, $229 for the 16GB model, $269 for 32GB, with free ground shipping for a limited time only.

Even though the price of the 32GB model at the Google Play Store price is $10 less than the price at NCIX *and* I purchased NCIX's quick 30 day RMA, it still cost me less to purchase my Nexus 7 from NCIX than from the Google Play Store because I don't pay Quebec sales tax on orders originating from BC.

However, after 30 days, if my Nexus 7 breaks down, I have to contact Asus for service. If I had bought it from Google instead, the service would be handled by Google.

I mention this because my Nexus 4 phone has just experienced the "Red Light of Death" and is now completely unresponsive. So I'm about to experience firsthand how easy (apparently) it is to get a product serviced (i.e. replaced, most likely with new) by Google.

Asus' support is a big question mark. I once had a bit of trouble ordering a replacement power supply for a rackmount server, but that's an entirely different product category (industrial vs consumer). Plus, Asus may try to repair the unit instead of replacing it, or replace it with a refurbished unit.

So many question marks, and no reliable answers.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-19, 04:37 PM

I have been buying ASUS products for many years right now. They have great products but unfortunately, the greatness stops there. Their customer support is not the best. Having said that, I still trust their products to keep buying from them.

I wonder how good Google is compared to ASUS?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-19, 08:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
I mention this because my Nexus 4 phone has just experienced the "Red Light of Death" and is now completely unresponsive. So I'm about to experience firsthand how easy (apparently) it is to get a product serviced (i.e. replaced, most likely with new) by Google.
My Nexus 7 developed a small dead spot on its screen, one very quick call to Google and I had a new Nexus 7 within 7 days at no cost to me. They simply held the cost of the replacement on my card (without drawing the funds) until they had received the old unit back.

Excellent service, no questions asked.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2013-08-19, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster View Post
I wonder how good Google is compared to ASUS?
That should be how good is LG compared to ASUS. Google subcontracts out all of their manufacturing, at least for now. I don't know if they'll have Motorola make all of their phones and tablets in the future. Samsung used to make Nexus phones until they decided to go their own way, and very successfully too.

Anyway, the call has been placed on Sunday. Now I'm just waiting for the RMA confirmation and paperwork.

As for the Nexus 7, I'm now moving over to the OWNERS thread!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in