Tablets will be dead by 2018 -Blackberry - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-05-02, 10:41 PM
Veteran

@envirogeek - One problem with the future that you are envisioning is data caps. Assuming that we still have these in Canada, and they are much worse in Ontario than Alberta, then streaming everyghing from the cloud doesn't work. That is especially the case if we go to 4k video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-05-02, 11:23 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Agree that data caps would certainly be an issue today, if the future I described existed today.

We are discussing possible changes between 2013 and 2018. Pick a 5 year interval over the last 30 years and consider what technology changed during any one of those intervals.

What I've suggested does not require streaming everything from the cloud. The CloudTV could be a sync or near line storage platform similar to the way that iTunes and ITunes Match (kind of) works today. If I've ripped my music onto a device in my possession, I play that copy. If I don't have the file, I stream from the cloud.

Just as there are parts of North America in 2013 where people still get their internet connection over dial up, I might be one of the people 5 years from now who can't take advantage of the future I've suggested if I am still using a 6 Mbps WISP in 2018. What is interesting though is my 6Mbps WISP gives me unlimited bandwidth because I'd be hard pressed to use it and they can kind of predict what they can support on a tower, while my hard wired cable ISP gives me more gigs than I can use and wants to charge me for excess.

Call it 80/20 or lowest common denominator or majority rules - technology changes because some unpredictable but substantial number of people in the market want it and can use it. It does not have to be available to everyone or affordable by everyone.

There are multiple pressures today for an always on, fully connected world - the data cap bandwidth dam will break at some point, for enough people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in