US iTunes store - how can Canadians pay? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 08:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
It's interesting that 11385 didn't work for you, jshel101. I'm curious if that was because your card is a AmEx card - I've only tried the trick with a VISA card, but it worked every time.
It's possible my AMEX card was the issue. Not sure why my US MasterCard didn't wok either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Now that I check, my iTunes account is actually a Canadian account. It's all my Microsoft account stuff that I have setup as though I'm in the US (e.g. the Windows Store account).
The US iTunes store generally has more apps and/or US specific apps. I got my first iPad in the US before they were sold in Canada so I needed a US account to get any iPad apps. I now have a Canadian iTunes account, a US iTunes account, a UK iTunes account and a Canadian business iTunes account.

The UK iTunes account is required if you want to get the UK version of the BBC iPlayer to use to watch streaming content, in conjunction with something like Unblockus.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Sorry for the noob question but why would you want a iTunes US account?
Thanks,
Scott

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Some software on the US store is not available on the CND store.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 02:58 PM

I haven't tried this with iTunes but it works on Google Play and Amazon in combination with a VPN.

I have an MBNA MasterCard. I ordered an Authorized User card from them on the same account using my middle names. Turns out it has the same CC # and CVV, just with the different name.

The key is, my MasterCard still uses my CDN billing address, but MBNA was able to assign a USA address where my friends live on my AU card. So if I give my middle name I can successfully validate the same card with a USA address.

Note that both Amazon and Google Play appear to cross-reference card numbers across accounts. So even with both a US VPN and a US address on the card, it fails if:
- I have the same card on my account with a CDN address too.
- I have the same card on *any* Google/Amazon account with a CDN address.
- I have any CDN addressed card on the same account.
Once I remove all other cards from the account, and all other instances of that card from all other accounts, it starts to work.

The nice thing about it being an Authorized User card is, the bank never mails anything to my friends' address in Seattle. All statements go to me at my CDN address.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
Sorry for the noob question but why would you want a iTunes US account?
Lots of reasons:
  • I bought my first iPad when they were only available in the US so you needed a US account to get any iPad apps. Once you "buy" an app you need to use that account to upgrade the app, even if it is a free app.
  • A lot of media content is only available in the US.
  • Apps required to watch streaming content (for example the ABC TV app) are only available in the US app store. You can use these apps to watch TV while you are in the US or if you use a VPN or service like Unblockus.
So I have accounts in the US, UK and Canadian iTunes stores.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
You can also buy US iTunes cards on eBay from reputable vendors at a very slight markup if it's not convenient to go to the US. I've done this several times in the past
Yep. If you're lucky you may actually get a discount. Although that seems to be more common with UK ones I've got on eBay as well. Best part is they just mail you the code in a few hours, usually, you don't even have to wait for shippin.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-07, 02:15 PM

I'm lucky enough to have relatives in the US or go there twice at year in order to load up on the gift cards. I used their address to set up my account.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 11:53 AM

What's the benefit to having a US iTunes account? I assume the content must be different. There's rarely a show I don't find on the Canadian iTunes app.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Pretty much covered in post #21...

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-23, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone come up with any other methods recently?
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-04-22, 07:08 PM
Rookie

I think I got a solution. I have placed an order at Gamecardsale - itunes email Delivered Gift Cards they are cheapest and fastest for the people of outside USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in