Which smartphone brand do you use? - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: Which smartphone brand do you use?
Apple 91 29.93%
Blackberry 39 12.83%
HTC 23 7.57%
Nokia 13 4.28%
Samsung 92 30.26%
LG 18 5.92%
Motorola 12 3.95%
Other 16 5.26%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-03-14, 08:33 AM
Veteran

I started off with BOTH early on.. Android and iOS.

There are/were things with Android I did like. The easier browsing of the file system, and a few other tweeks about it.

But overall, here, iOS won. The "it just works" is literally part of it.

Myself, i used my devices a lot as media devices. Playback of video, both from streaming online, but a lot of local via DLNA, Plex, etc.
At least at the time.. (going back to android 3.0 to around 4?), while i could get it to work on the android (and this was a higher end device), I needed to have like 4 different media players installed to get playback on multiple formats to work nice.. just took a lot more finagling.
iOS.. it just worked. Any format played fine.
I was then starting to look at other things as well.. making my music available around all devices in the house, etc. Sure i could use DLNA.. but its a little clunky, especially for music. Homesharing with iOS, was a simple easy solution, as i also have a server which is on 24/7 to leave itunes running on. Surround sound is also a Airplay audio source, etc.

I know many people who are android lovers.. who think all Apple users are 'sheeple' and just buy apple because they are told its the best, etc.
While there are many like that.. iOS does have its place if properly used, and if it fits your needs.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-03-14, 09:30 AM
Veteran

^Well said!

I surprised quite a few people when I switched to iOS 6 months ago. Yes, Android is more configurable. Yes, Android devices have more memory, support SD cards (though even then there's some hoops you may have to jump through to get the right permissions to write to said card). There's also a lot more choice when it comes to Android devices.

That said, sometimes people want a simple device that gets the job done without a hassle. That's what my iPhone does for me, and it's been great! I also have an Apple Watch that gets used often, and again it just does what I need it to without much fuss.
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-03-14, 01:52 PM

I used to use only Blackberry and then I made the switch to the Samsung S2 and never looked back. After the S2 I went to the S5 and now the S7 edge, they just kept getting better and better. I love my S7 edge and can't imagine what they will do next, can't wait to see. With my phone I also have a pair of wireless headphones, a Bluetooth Jabra extreme ear peace, the Samsung gear vr goggles and a Samsung gear watch and have to say it was also a life changer. You should add a second pole to this and ask people what other devises or wearable's do people have to work with their smart phones.
PS: I also keep all my Samsung devises protected with otter box's.

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-03-28, 09:47 AM
Rookie

You can only choose one phone, I have 2, a Samsung and a Blackberry. I put it down as Samsung.
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-03-28, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Like I said before Im done with Samsung, had way more happiness using LG. LG is underrated, everyone thinks Samsung this samsung that, but let me tell you, LG blew samsung right out of the way. I would NEVER go back to samsung even if they paid me
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-03-28, 11:37 AM
Veteran

I'm going back to Android. Ordered an LG v20 and can't wait to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-04-03, 02:03 AM

Still on my Z30. It won't be until I can get the same form factor in something else that I'll switch.

It may seem silly to you, but the fact that I can pop the back off and replace it with a flip-shell case for when I don't want to use either the leather pouch or holster cases is a really handy feature to have. While everyone is trying to make their phones slim and slippery as all hell to hold, The Z30's design is much more comfortable and flexible.
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-05-07, 05:57 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
I am using my iPad to control our Samsung Smart TV. It does not get lost in the cushions, need new batteries, hard to see in the dark. I am using myTifi.

In the MBR, I use my iPhone to initiate Netflix movies to Chromecast on a dumb Sharp. I love Chromecast. Use it for Kodi too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in