Which smartphone brand do you use? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: Which smartphone brand do you use?
Apple 91 29.93%
Blackberry 39 12.83%
HTC 23 7.57%
Nokia 13 4.28%
Samsung 92 30.26%
LG 18 5.92%
Motorola 12 3.95%
Other 16 5.26%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-17, 07:11 PM
Veteran

I've been a fan of Samsung's phones. Easy enough to flash custom roms to (unlike my experience with HTC phones). I also like that Samsung is still including microSD card slots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-17, 07:18 PM

I love that my iPhone just works, and works with the most up to date software. I got it two years ago, and I was able to load iOS6 the day it was available in a couple of taps. That said it's not perfect, but compared to my wife's Galaxy S2 (also two years old) that she has for work, the iPhone is far superior. The Galaxy is constantly crashing (good thing you can pull the battery!), has a terrible user interface that stutters and freezes, and cannot be upgraded to the new Andriod release (tried to upgrade it to a slightly newer release, but it was a nightmare of a process and then other things started going wrong like app updates stopped working with a package file error, wireless wouldn't connect and blah blah blah... anyway her IT support people couldn't figure out so did a factory reset back to previous version) . I find the Galaxy is very restricting because of all it's shortcommings. Literaly hunderds of hours have been spent supporting that phone.
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-17, 10:07 PM

As someone who carried an iPod around all the days I used to have a crappy flip phone, getting the iPhone seemed the obvious next step.

post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-17, 11:04 PM
Veteran

Been in the cell game for years.

Mitsubishi (analogue) -> Ericsson (analogue) -> Samsung (digital, clamshell) -> BlackBerry 8700 (refurb unlocked) -> Samsung Galaxy SIII.

Some fun comments on each:

Mitsubishi: Great phone for me but everyone else hated it and the store said it was a nightmare. :-)

Ericsson: Worked well. Didn't show "roam" like the Mitsubishi.

Samsung: XTG426 (if I remember correctly) Great phone at the time.

BlackBerry 8700: The thing just worked extremely well except the scroll wheel just got too gnarly to use...

Samsung Galaxy SIII: Very new to me, works very well. Software is the greatest limitation. Virtual keyboard needs a "TAB" key.... :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 12:10 AM

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
I've had lots of phones in the past as well. But as for smart phones, used to have an LG Android that just simply ran out of memory otherwise was a good phone. Now the wife and I both have Galaxy S3's. Love the heck out them. Keep discovering new apps and options on these things all the time. Never get tired of them.
post #21 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 12:39 AM

BB for years from work, ended up Galaxy S3 for the wife as just couldn't buy into the Apple hype. She loves it, my Torch seems archaic against it.
post #22 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 05:45 AM
Veteran

HTC touch then diamond then desire and now gs3.

With all that HTC history it took a lot for me to go to the gs3 and my impatience to wait for the HTC one x..... I still miss HTC sence.

But the gs3 is a pretty rocking piece of hardware.. And for a first time in a long time average Joe and Jane also have a gs3 and know that they run android... It's a good time to be an android user..

Sent from my SGH-I747M

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #23 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 06:47 AM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I am currently using a Blackberry, but that will change when my contract expires at the end of this month, and after I have decided whether to stay with my current carrier or start service with a different carrier. I am leaning towards the iPhone for my next smart phone, since I have an iPad and am used to the operating system, but have not totally ruled out the Android operating system yet.
post #24 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 08:54 AM

I'm on my first smartphone. It's a Samsung Nexus S. I like it but wished I had waited just a bit longer to get a more up to date phone. Firmware updates are no longer available for that phone. That being said, it works very well and have had no problems with it. I was limited to Android or Windows phone with Videotron as they do not carry Iphones. Not an Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination so it didn't bother me one bit.
post #25 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 09:04 AM
Veteran

I have both a Samsung and an iPhone - I use the Samsung, and my GF uses the iPhone. However, you can only vote once....
post #26 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I use a Samsung device, but only because they happened to make a Nexus phone when I needed a new smartphone. My previous phone was HTC for the same reason, and if I was buying today I would be buying an LG device.
Yup. Same here.
post #27 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 10:35 AM

Other

Mine goes under "Other" category.
I ordered this cheap knock off Android phone from Asia through ebay. They come unlocked naturally and the best part is that they have dual Sim capacity.

I paired it with a Canadian pay as you go system and it works great for my needs. I love my phone
post #28 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 05:35 PM

I have an HTC Incredible S and if I had to change phone tomorrow, depending on which model HTC have at the moment and what version of Android it has, I might just go back with them again. I don't think I'll take another 3 year BS contract to pay the phone. Last time I got burnt on a 3 year contract was in 1988.

Man did I ever go through cell phones since.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #29 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 07:57 PM

First smartphone was a BlackBerry Curve.

Upgraded to an iPhone 3G, to the 3GS, then to the 4.

Upgraded again to the Samsung Galaxy Note. Seemed large at the time, now everything seems small. Will get the Samsung Galaxy Note II, soon.
post #30 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-01-19, 04:53 PM

Work equips us with low end LG eclypse (the slider) android phones, and after months of use I'm eating crow and really very happy with this handset

it's still stuck on 2.3, 1ghz single core processor and a very average screen

and yet it's doing absolutely everything I need to do, and is a really good experience paired with Plex

the hardware keyboard is surprisingly decent

if I could get a version that was LTE, 4.5 inch screen(give or take) and android 4+ I would be 100% satisfied

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in