2 apple ID's for one iPod Touch? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-14, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

2 apple ID's for one iPod Touch?

Our family has a few apple devices.

My wife has an iPad 2, and my old iPhone 3gs
My 10yr old daughter has a 2yr old iPod Touch 8gb.

We have been using 'my' appleID for most purchases, and the apps are shared between devices.

My daughter has always been good with having us update her iPod for new apps etc (ie. parents type in the password). She was wondering the other day why her friend could get her own apps.

I explained that the appleID was attached to my credit card, and that's why only mom or dad enters the password.

Is it possible to have her get a 2nd AppleID to get 'free' apps, as well as keep the family apps that she uses on her iPod?

Thanks,
Peter

Panny 47wx52, DMR-e80*C DSR500x2, XBOX 360, Toshiba 26hf84, LG 37LC2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-14, 04:22 PM

In order to set up an Apple ID, the ID must be associated with a payment method. Presumably your daughter doesn't have a credit card.

The alternative is to buy an inexpensive iTunes card. When I set up my mother-in-law's account, I bought a $15 iTunes card at Future Shop.

The iTunes card can be used as the payment method to set up her Apple ID. The apps that are already installed on her device will remain on the device and she will be able to add new apps, both free and purchased (as long as she has iTunes credit from the iTunes card).

On possible irritant is that her device will then be receiving update notices from two IDs, meaning someone will have to log the device in to each account to update the various apps.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-14, 09:05 PM

is it even possible? seems to me when we let the boy hook up his own appleID that it nuked the old one on his ipod, and removed all the apps associated with the old apple ID

it's been a while tho, and I don't 100% remember

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-14, 10:58 PM

I had two Apple IDs running on one device. No big deal. Just sign in and sign out where necessary to get apps. You don't need to have a credit card attached to an app store account. I should know, I didn't for the one I used out of the States.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

We have about 5-6 app cabable iDevices and primarily use my Apple ID. But I have four Apple IDs that I use with my iPads. I have a Canadian personal ID, I also have a US Apple ID since a lot of apps are still not available to Canadians. I have a UK Apple ID as I go to the UK a lot and want to be able to use UK only apps like the BBC iPlayer, and I have a Canadian corporate Apple ID when I want to buy apps for business purposes.

But Apple makes it a real pain to switch IDs. And as you have found out if you want to update an App you need to enter the password for the ID that originally purchased the app, and I believe that is even the case for free apps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 06:18 PM

do all the apps still reside on the iDevice at the same time? or do you have to sign in/out of the apple ID to see the apps associated with that account?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 09:30 PM

They reside on the device. The logging in to different accounts arises when updates are made.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-01-16, 02:39 PM
Veteran

The only time you really have to care about which Apple ID bought an app is when you are upgrading an app. Otherwise you don't have to sign in or out of different IDs to use the apps.

But some apps are only available in the app stores for specific countries or there are different apps for foreigners. One example is the BBC iPlayer. Their regular app is only available on the UK app store. But they have a special international app that seems to provide paid content. Getting the UK app and teaming it with one of the IP spoofing service allows you to watch any and all BBC channels live and to watch shows which they make available for streaming. So it is a very different experince with the UK app vs the foreign app./

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in