# of Active Apple Apps - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

# of Active Apple Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
A report regarding the Apple Apps shows that of the 700,000 apps, I believe around 450,000 have never been downloaded, ever
I call BS. Prove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 07:54 AM

^^^^^^

I usually get this type of response.

"Out of 650,000 apps.......400,000 apps in the App Store have never been downloaded says report"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407875,00.asp
http://www.phonearena.com/news/40000...report_id32943
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...Report-843509/

You can also easily google this info, What was that you were saying about BS?

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2012-12-19 at 09:06 AM. Reason: removed inflammatory comment
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 08:42 AM
Veteran

I'm excited for this new bb devise.. Although not for me it excites me that they are finally getting an all touch device..

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
You can also easily google this info, What was that you were saying about BS?
Thank-you for the links; it is common practice here that we include inline citations. I did, in fact, Google it before posting and found only contrary studies. For example, the first hit I got was this one (emphasis mine):

This quote is attributed to Apple itself in September, perhaps a repsonse to the claims made in the links you provided.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 12:54 PM

^^^

I'm always skeptical of any BS manufacturers claims, including Apples.

Independent studies as shown in the links, and why this is the case prove this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Looking more deeply at the methodology used, I'd say the independent study is shaky at best.

I have no doubt there may tens of thousands of dead apps, but I think this vendor was just trying to grab some headlines. (shocking!)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 08:59 PM

looking at the quality of the apps, after you go past the first 100-150 in each category, I can easily believe that most are never downloaded

realistically, anything less than 100 downloads is basically a dead app

I wonder what percentage fall into that category? (and I"m sure the numbers would be almost identical for any platform)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 09:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Looking more deeply at the methodology used, I'd say the independent study is shaky at best.
And massively backtracked on what the CEO originally said. The so-called "never downloaded" 400,000 apps were in fact "...getting zero to ten downloads a day, depending on the country."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Without uninstallation stats the number of downloads is pretty irrelevant.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-20, 02:16 AM
Veteran

More interesting (to me) would be the number of applications actually used after the first day they were installed.

My pattern with mobile apps goes something like this:

I download a lot of apps to see what I like, especially after I get a new device. In the case of Android I buy a lot of apps when they go on sale.

But only regularly use about a dozen apps. That includes stuff like a browser, mail, and instant messaging. I've downloaded a lot of apps. I used to even download apps that were "website replacements" or a website front-end. But then I realized that every day my phone was automatically updating 20 apps a day (on average). And none of these apps were actually in use. In the case of iOS, my OCD was causing me to have to download whatever updates the app store had for me in the little red dot.

Since then I've started uninstalling apps if I haven't used it in a month after the first installation.

Right now I'm going through the "collect all sorts of apps" phase with metro apps on Windows 8.

Ultimately, I wish apps worked more like websites (with the performance of native code). You go to use them, and then you automatically download the bits that you need and those bits get "cached" on local storage. If you don't a app for a while, it gets cleaned out of your cache. And if you go to use the app and there are updates, those get downloaded on demand. I think this is a model that would work better for "normal people". But I guess that is for operating systems of the future to implement.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-20, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Ultimately, I wish apps worked more like websites (with the performance of native code). You go to use them, and then you automatically download the bits that you need and those bits get "cached" on local storage. If you don't a app for a while, it gets cleaned out of your cache. And if you go to use the app and there are updates, those get downloaded on demand. I think this is a model that would work better for "normal people".
You're assuming that a) there's always an Internet connection available b) re-downloading the app and downloading and applying updates is a relatively quick process and c) the OS is smart enough not to touch settings and documents associated with the cleaned out app.

I'd rather make the decision what to delete and not leave it up to the OS.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-20, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I believe around 450,000 have never been downloaded, ever

At a very minimum, every developer likely has some friends who have downloaded their app. For that reason alone, its clear the person saying that is a gullible fool.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-20, 04:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN
b) re-downloading the app and downloading and applying updates is a relatively quick process and c) the OS is smart enough not to touch settings and documents associated with the cleaned out app.
Web browsers do this successfully, and have done so for years. From a software architecture standpoint, these are not difficult hurdles to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN
I'd rather make the decision what to delete and not leave it up to the OS.
This goes against the trend in computing. Android and iOS are even downplaying the concept of a local file system. The fact is, because most users aren't very knowledgeable, a OS can easily do a better on on keeping what should be kept (and discarding the rest) than a user can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in