RIM to announce BlackBerry 10 on Jan. 30 - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-11-30, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Obviously consumers choose their own model.
That's true but going from the carriers' web pages there isn't a huge price difference for BBs these days. As far as I can tell the high end BB9900 will cost you $50 and the low end BBs are essentially free. Of course these both include contracts but that is what consumers will be signing up for. Maybe I have lost perspective but to me $50 doesn't seem a lot to pay to get a much better phone.

It will be interesting to see what the BB10 phones sell for. I don't think that RIM can charge a premium compared to an iPhone but I guess we will see. Rogers is selling the iPhone 5 for $180 - so I have to think that RIM can't charge much more than about $200 for a BB10 device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-11-30, 02:05 PM

RIM doesn't set the prices that carriers will charge, though they may have some input. RIM charges carriers for the devices themselves, a number which will likely be substantially higher than $200/unit, and carriers set the on-contract cost.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-11-30, 03:14 PM
Veteran

Pricing is something I am very eager to see....RIM arrogantly maintained a premium pricing strategy for years after their decline, both on AppWorld and handset pricing. For example, my company paid $650 for my 9900 on its launch day...you can get a modern smartphone for that kind of money!

Quote:
Rogers is selling the iPhone 5 for $180 - so I have to think that RIM can't charge much more than about $200 for a BB10 device.
They need to be a low-price leader when they try to break into the current-generation market, and that will be tough for them. If Rogers has iPhone5 at $180, then RIM needs to be at $99 or less.

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-11-30, 03:28 PM

Does RIM set the prices on App World? I would imagine they set baselines, but devs set the prices. Typically apps will be more expensive on less popular platforms like Blackberry OS and Windows Phone because devs need to charge more in order to recoup development costs which they could make up on volume on Android or iOS.

$650 was not an especially unreasonable price for the 9900 when it launched. I probably would have tried to place it at $599, but I don't know their margins. The device represented the flagship model of the Blackberry brand. If RIM were to price it at $450, for example, they would be devaluing their brand, as well as making it difficult to create differentiation from the Curve series.

Their flagship models need to continue to be priced similarly to flagships from other brands, which means $150-200 on contract (since the market for buying premium devices outright in North America is small). However, they will definitely need to follow that up with some lower-tier models around $0-50 on contract in order to get them into the hands of teens, students, and prepaid customers.

RIM doesn't have the cache to release only premium models like Apple, but they also don't want to be stuck with a reputation as a discount phone maker either.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-12-03, 09:09 PM

I am so looking forward to the new generation of Berries. It will be a complete remake and I am going to get me one.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I'm willing to shell out $650 for a contract free phone that can be unlocked at some point in time.

Hopefully the London will support AWS as well as the standard LTE frequencies used in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in