[Split] Apple quality vs competitors - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

[Split] Apple quality vs competitors

Quote:
Only $100'sh more expensive, but you are getting quality over the cheap tablets from the competition.
I don't see the Apple hardware having better quality over much of the competition. The premium price simply isn't good value for the customer. There are comparable or better specs available in the 7" tablet market for a much better price.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 11:42 PM
Veteran

^ Would you care to name a few?

Apple's manufacturing alone makes it worthwhile for me, to say nothing about the quality of the material, the overall look, and most importantly, the ecosystem and reliability.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
^ Would you care to name a few?

Apple's manufacturing alone makes it worthwhile for me, to say nothing about the quality of the material, the overall look, and most importantly, the ecosystem and reliability.
Don't put the onus on me. It's your claim that Apple somehow uses superior materials and workmanship. Though my Playbook and some Android devices I've tested appear to possess excellent craftsmanship. And my device isn't manufactured in China.

Given that the typical lifecycle of an Apple product is so limited, I don't understand the issue with build quality anyways....

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Given that the typical lifecycle of an Apple product is so limited, I don't understand the issue with build quality anyways....
Err, no. The lifecycle isn't limited at all. My Dad is happily using my iPhone 3G and iPad 1. Both of which still look like new.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Err, yes. Can you get the latest iOS version for ipad1? Ahhhh no. It's still usable, but no longer supported.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:38 AM
Veteran

You don't want to go there...iOS is way ahead when it comes to the percentage of in-service devices capable of running the latest software version.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2012-10-24 at 12:50 AM. Reason: UQR
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

And what does that matter? The fact it that's no longer supported...Apple is several models ahead already.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:43 AM
Veteran

It matters because you asked what use was having high build quality if the product's lifecycle is "so limited". Implying you're going to throw it away in a year or two. That doesn't happen. And your statement that Apple is several models ahead is a bit disingenuous. The iPad 1 stopped getting iOS updates just last month, two and a half years after it was introduced.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Don't put the onus on me. It's your claim that Apple somehow uses superior materials and workmanship. Though my Playbook and some Android devices I've tested appear to possess excellent craftsmanship. And my device isn't manufactured in China.

I'm simply saying (n response to YOUR claim) that when I look at other products compared to Apple products, I don't find they compare in build quality. You're saying they do. Since you seem to think many competing products compare well, the onus IS on you to provide at least an example to support YOUR claim.

I am still using an iPad 1 which I bought the first day they were released in the US in april 2010. I am very happy with it. I understand why it doesn't support iOS 6 and I am convinced I'll still be using it for a couple more years. Saying it's no longer supported is not really accurate. New apps are released every day that run on iPad 1.

The whole time I've been using it, I have enjoyed its durability, its design and feel. To me (and apparently a few others looking at the 100 million iPads sold since), this is worth something.

I could not disagree with you more about Apple products having a limited life cycle. The 10 or so Apple computers my household has owned over the past 15 years have lasted us on average 6 years. The same can be said about the 4 iPads, the iPhones and the iPods we have owned, although we have voluntarily replaced some of those more quickly to take advantage of new features. Every one of those products has sold extremely well on the used market by the way (for good $), which tells me there's always someone interested in acquiring the product later in its lifecycle, where build quality definitely factors in.

You are certainly entitled to disagree.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Saying it's no longer supported is not really accurate.
This depends on your definition of supported. Sure there are apps coming out that will work, but there are probably some that don't without the latest O/S. As time goes on more and more that will be the case. Also what if a problem arises with iOS 5 is Apple guaranteeing they will fix it for free?

Quote:
I could not disagree with you more about Apple products having a limited life cycle.
Again this depends on how you define life cycle. For some it is important for them to have the latest device available and being that Apple refreshes most every year, the life cycle for them is about a year. For others its based on their wireless contract.

Myself I am interested in an iPad mini to replace my Playbook. However, it wasn't released with a Retina display so I will get a few more miles out of the PB and wait until next year to get an iPad.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
This depends on your definition of supported. Sure there are apps coming out that will work, but there are probably some that don't without the latest O/S. As time goes on more and more that will be the case. Also what if a problem arises with iOS 5 is Apple guaranteeing they will fix it for free?
Does Magellan fix 2-3 year-old GPS's for free if something goes wrong with their software?

Yet, people are still using those units in their cars today.

To me, end of software updates or "support" does not equate "end of life".
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
You don't want to go there...iOS is way ahead when it comes to the percentage of in-service devices capable of running the latest software version.
Yes, but some features get switched off or are unusable for some older devices. Just because you can technically update older devices, in some cases the performance suffers with a newer o/s.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-10-25, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaching143 View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing this useful information which is so much meaningful and which helps a lot for increasing your knowledge about the particular topic.

I sense some sarcasm in your first post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in