Apple announces iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch, 1,024 x 768 display, A5 CPU and LTE - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 05:44 AM
Veteran

Apple has announced that they have sold 3 million iPads and minis over the first weekend - I assume that includes pre-sales. One forecast is that 2 million of these are minis. A financial analyst estimated that Google sold 1.8 million Nexus 7s in the previous quarter. Does that make the mini a success or not?

Regarding Retina displays - I have both an iPad 2 and an iPad 3. I use the iPad 2 more often since it is set up with my corporate VPN and email. But much of the time I don't need VPN access so I could actually be using the iPad 3. But I can't be bothered so I find that the res difference doesn't matter that much to me and the 2 has the benefit of being a bit lighter and charges quicker.

The mini has a higher pixel density than the iPad 2 so I think that I will be fine with its screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Does that make the mini a success or not?
Sold out in three days. Sold more units in three days than Google sold in three months. Apple likely makes $100 to $200 profit per unit (varies depending on the size) so they probably made between $300 and $600 million in profits over the weekend. That's an ass kicking!
post #93 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 09:43 AM

Here's the thing I don't get with Apple's direction:
Their products (iStuff) have been uniform across the spectrum as far as aspect ratio goes - 4:3 all along the board. Until the iPhone 5 which is 16:9.

Now with their latest iPad releases the ratio remains at 4:3. I can see the Mini staying there and it makes sense. But they squandered an opportunity with the iPad4. As it stands, it's not really different from the iPad3 aside from the processor (which means jack as far as user experience goes) and the lightning connector. If they would have made the 4 a 16:9 device it would have been in line with the iPhone 5 and developers would see it as least a little more palatable to redo their apps in the new format. Apple would have signaled that it was starting to shift to a more common aspect ratio as well.

So in those terms, do they mean to leave the iPhone 5 alone on an island?

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

post #94 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 10:04 AM
Veteran

I've seen 16:9 devices. I do not want an iPad-sized device that sacrifices width for length just for the sake of one use case.
post #95 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 12:03 PM
Veteran

I agree with NeilN - I don't think 16:9 works for tablets. I have owned an iPad for over 2.5 yrs and watching video for me is about 5% or less of my usage. Reading web pages, docs, etc is better with the current AR.
post #96 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Please stick to discussion of the iPad Mini specifically. Further off topic posts will be removed.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #97 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM4243 View Post
Sold out in three days.
No doubt they sold a ton of them, but it didn't sell out. Which is unusual for an Apple launch, but doesn't surprise me.

post #98 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 02:32 PM
Veteran

I am not surprised at all that there were no lineups for the iPad mini (I've been on the first three iPad launches at opening time on day 1, it was 15 minute wait the first time, and less every next time). What surprised me is how much they actually sold over the first weekend. I played with the iPad mini and pretty much confirmed all the reports I've read - feels and looks way better than all other small tablets, but the screen is distractingly non-retina resolution. But, since the iPad 2 still sells, and it technically has lower pixel density than the mini, it is not such a shock that people liked the mini as is. I'm passing this time, though - hopefully the retina version lands next spring or summer.
post #99 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 02:48 PM

Quote:
No doubt they sold a ton of them, but it didn't sell out.
Any retailer will tell you that when people come into your store asking for product and you don't have it then you're sold out!

Clearly, Apple could have sold a lot more iPad Mini's had they had stock on hand.

I think the evidence answers Wayne question of whether it is was a success or not.
post #100 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Again, no doubt they sold a lot, and there are definitely supply shortages, but Apple themselves admitted that they did not sell out. That's unusual for an Apple launch, but it doesn't mean it was unsuccessful by any means.

post #101 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 03:25 PM

You seem to want to belabour one comment I made which really doesn't contradict the fact that Apple had a very successful weekend but since you keep bringing it up let me ask this.

If I went into a store and asked them if I could buy a 16GB iPad mini then what would Apple store staff have said to me last weekend?
post #102 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 07:10 PM

iPad Mini

Bought the 32 GB model, delivered day 1 from Apple. So far am very disappointed, I like the size but find screen print, especially when web browsing too small and while some text can be enlarged not enough for my needs. Also I am used to the humble, much despised Playbook and find it much easier and more responsive to use, I still believe if RIM can get it's act together and the programmers will write the apps Playbook will take it's place near the top of the tablet lineup.

I know everyome will point to the 250,000 or whatever number of apps available for iPads, but many of those are not that great either. I find the Playbook has enough to keep going for now and I hope for more and better apps in the months to come. For my main use, browsing the web and keeping abrest of the news I find Playbook superior. So my iPad Mini will probably find irself back with Apple tomorrow. Not knocking the IPad full size or Mini but it does not suit all tastes or uses.

Oh, and by the way, I paid the full original price for my 32 GB Playbook, $599, and am still happy with it.
post #103 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM4243 View Post
If I went into a store and asked them if I could buy a 16GB iPad mini then what would Apple store staff have said to me last weekend?
They would probably have offered to show you a 32 GB model.

I'm not arguing that this was a successful weekend for Apple, or that they should be pleased with the results. I honestly don't know what their goals or expectations were. They might have been trying to flood channels to maximize sales, or they might have been holding stock back to try and sell the higher margin models and create the appearance of shortage.

2 million iPad Minis sounds like a lot, but so does 1 million and 5 million, and I would have believed either of those numbers too. I don't think there's any way to look at this as a failure for Apple, but I also don't know if it exceeded their expectations. I do know that they did not sell out entirely, which doesn't surprise me (I said earlier I thought this would be popular but not on the scale of the full iPad or iPhone), but it might have surprised them.

post #104 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Selling out of one model does not mean they sold out of all of them; which is what typically would happen at an Apple launch.
post #105 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-11-07, 03:58 PM
Veteran

fionn Thanks for the thoughts on iPad mini v.s. Playbook. I am still rocking two PBs as well but was considering an "upgrade". Perhaps I will wait.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in