Apple announces iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch, 1,024 x 768 display, A5 CPU and LTE - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Let's please avoid the derogatory comments toward other members and stick to discussing the iPad Mini

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post
Study the history of iPhone and iPod for countless examples.
Really? I just checked and I can't find a single one that doesn't correspond to a new product launch. Certainly not among the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.

I can't see them discounting the iPad Mini until they're ready to launch the iPad Mini 2.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #48 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I think the Apple support is worth something as well. My wife's iPhone4 got dropped in the swimming pool. I made an appointment with the genius bar, they gave me a brand new unit.

If I did the same to a Nexus tablet where would I take it to get support? The Google store?

They gave you a brand new one with no questions asked, or it was because you took out a guarantee?

I went with my daughter to the store to have her ipod touch looked at, and they wanted a charge of half the price to fix the problem

post #49 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 04:02 PM
Veteran

Retina

Is it a bit of a disappointment that there is no Retina display? What about lack of GPS and stereo speakers? Do any of these things matter to the target audience of this device?
post #50 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima20 View Post
They gave you a brand new one with no questions asked, or it was because you took out a guarantee?

I went with my daughter to the store to have her ipod touch looked at, and they wanted a charge of half the price to fix the problem
No guarantee - they said that they would only do this once and normally they charge $200 for a hardware replacement but this time they would replace it for free.

The phone had been replaced a few months earlier due to other issues that were not our fault. Again it took just a few minutes at the genius bar. This is FAR superior customers service than what you normally get with our manufacturers where I would have had to take the phone back to a Rogers store and get a run-around. Note that this phone was not even boughjt at an Apple store in the first place.
post #51 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 04:17 PM

Well....you left all that out of your original comments. You made it sound like it was that easy, and am sure you probably had to argue with them for a bit to arrive at the "we are only going to do this once"

Sometimes, people make it sound like you can just walk into an Apple store and they will exchange you defected / problem product with no questions asked

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2012-10-24 at 04:18 PM. Reason: UQR
post #52 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 05:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes, people make it sound like you can just walk into an Apple store and they will exchange you defected / problem product with no questions asked
Funny, that's exactly what happened to me. Had a iPhone 3G, three weeks out of warranty, which sometimes dimmed the screen to the point of unreadablility (I think I posted about it on here). Made an appointment with the Genius bar, explained what was happening, but couldn't duplicate it. They checked for water damage and then replaced it, no further questions asked.
post #53 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 05:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
Do you think people will sleep overnight for a Ipad mini?

I can see other products but not this one.
I've never seen lineups worth mentioning for any iPad release. And I've bought all three on day one.
Also don't remember any iPad shortages. Demand is nothing like the iPhone.
post #54 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 05:46 PM
Veteran

This is also what happened to my wife and brother-in-law. My wife was having issues with her 3G iPhone and Apple replaced it right away with a refurbished 3G. She was in and out in 20 minutes. My brother-in-law accidentally got water on his iPhone 4. He failed to tighten the water proof container on his sea-doo and rolled it under the water. He brought it into Apple, because it wouldn't turn on, and told them what happened. They checked the water damage indicator and it was fine. They replaced his with a refurbished iPhone 4. Same thing, in and out in less than 20 minutes.
post #55 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
Wi-Fi only iPads use Wi-Fi positioning which uses a database of known Wi-Fi hotspots to determine a rough location.
That, together with the fact that a wifi-only iPad is pretty much useless without wifi, kind of negates the absence of a true GPS receiver. The cellular equipped ones do have GPS. Apparently Apple decided that a GPS receiver won't draw more people to the entry level versions, but may sell more higher profit margin cellular models.
post #56 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 06:23 PM
Veteran

I don't think any of these stories are anything different in the industry. I once had Dell replace an Optiplex 980 desktop with a 990 because the power button would stick and they didn't make that model anymore so they upgraded me. There are good stories when you can deal directly with a company and they stand behind their own products they make.
post #57 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
I don't think any of these stories are anything different in the industry. I once had Dell replace an Optiplex 980 desktop with a 990 because the power button would stick and they didn't make that model anymore so they upgraded me. There are good stories when you can deal directly with a company and they stand behind their own products they make.
Very true, I have a great customer service experience with Brother.
post #58 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Well....you left all that out of your original comments. You made it sound like it was that easy, and am sure you probably had to argue with them for a bit to arrive at the "we are only going to do this once"
I was fully prepared to pay $200-$300 to get it replaced but I didn't have to argue - I said "look, my wife dropped this in the pool, what can you do for me" They said "We are supposed to charge to replace it but this time we will give you a free one, but don't expect it again". I didn't have to argue or bitch and moan.

Sure some other manufacturers do this, but I have found Apple to be far less hassle than others. I went online to book an appointment at the Genius bar at Fairview Mall for the next day and then I am in and out in 20 minutes.
post #59 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
That, together with the fact that a wifi-only iPad is pretty much useless without wifi, kind of negates the absence of a true GPS receiver. The cellular equipped ones do have GPS. Apparently Apple decided that a GPS receiver won't draw more people to the entry level versions, but may sell more higher profit margin cellular models.
This was my line of reasoning as well. A WiFi only iPad would need an off-line mapping application to make use of a GPS receiver. Considering that my first generation WiFi model iPad has been able to accurately find my position on my national and international travels, a GPS receiver does seem unnecessary.
post #60 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 07:34 PM

"Sure some other manufacturers do this, but I have found Apple to be far less hassle than others. I went online to book an appointment at the Genius bar at Fairview Mall for the next day and then I am in and out in 20 minutes. "

You pay for the privilege. If I pay premium prices (at least 2X the amount in the case of MacBooks) I sure as hell better get top flight service.

But by all accounts, it is indeed exemplary.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in