Apple announces iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch, 1,024 x 768 display, A5 CPU and LTE - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 10:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Thinner, lighter, narrower bezel, larger screen, iPad apps, Apple support (this matters a lot to some people). I'm sure there are more.

Are these worth $130 to you? They're not to me, but I don't know if I represent the majority, and I can't say someone is wrong for valuing things differently than I do.
Millions upon millions of people will disagree with you, TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 10:54 PM
Veteran

I think the Apple support is worth something as well. My wife's iPhone4 got dropped in the swimming pool. I made an appointment with the genius bar, they gave me a brand new unit.

If I did the same to a Nexus tablet where would I take it to get support? The Google store?
post #33 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 05:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
As soon as the price was announced, the stock went south.
Might have looked that way, but in actuality the stock move was immediate on the revelation of iPhone sales tracking at 'only' 15 MM which was a little bit shy of what they hoped.

A higher price point on iPad Mini might be a disappointment for consumers, but if anything, a higher MSRP would boost (not lower) their stock price because it supports continued higher margins.

I believe the $329 price helps temper demand a little bit while they're ramping up inventory. Setting the launch price too low would have led to holiday shortages and bad PR.

And it also allows them to make a splash in early 2013 with a price cut to a still-profitable $299. Had they gone with $299 now, it would have meant expectations for the first cut would have been for a much skinnier $249

post #34 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 08:32 AM
Digital Sage

A headline was sent to my phone stating the stock went south as soon as the price was announced. Was unaware of the sales estimates for the Iphone. Still haven't heard about it until now.

Perhaps more than one factor kicked in mid-afternoon yesterday.
post #35 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 08:58 AM
Veteran

When has Apple ever offered a price cut? They don't AFAIK unless they introduce new models that take the place of an older model and then they discount the older one.
post #36 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 09:29 AM

Anyone have any comments on why there is no GPS in the wifi-only models? It is almost standard now in the tablet market. I know the larger iPad did not have it either but still.

Many apps use (if you allow it) the GPS location. Offline maps, astronomy, facebook, weather, speedtests, navigation, mapping etc.
post #37 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 09:48 AM

Yeah, I was shocked to learn that the regular WiFi-only Ipad didn't have GPS. So, it's no surprise the mini doesn't either.

Of course the reason is to keep the price down and Apple is hoping people won't notice.

Last edited by Jake; 2012-10-24 at 09:49 AM. Reason: UQR
post #38 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 09:53 AM

My girlfriend's iPad 2 has GPS I thought because she uses an astronomy app. Am I wrong?

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #39 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 10:00 AM
Veteran

There's no doubt that Apple will sell millions of these devices, but the question is, how many millions? I think Apple missed the mark somewhat in its pricing, not in terms of whether people will buy it (because they will), but in terms of its price relative to the Android tablets its being compared to. When you're talking about devices that start at around $200, a $130 difference is a LOT of money. I feel they could have 'gone for the jugular' if the price started at least $50 less and really put a dent in Android tablet sales.

It's made my 7" tablet purchase decision a little murkier. I'll wait and see what Google announces in their upcoming event and see how the tablet field looks then.
post #40 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 10:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike4881 View Post
My girlfriend's iPad 2 has GPS I thought because she uses an astronomy app. Am I wrong?
Wi-Fi only iPads use Wi-Fi positioning which uses a database of known Wi-Fi hotspots to determine a rough location.
post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 10:24 AM

Apple just released a lightning to HDMI and a lightning to VGA for $49 each
The 30 pin adapters are priced at $45 and $35 respectively. Guess lightning cost more to produce?

Also released was a 12w power brick for the new iPad ($19)
post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
A headline was sent to my phone stating the stock went south as soon as the price was announced. Was unaware
There's a lot of uninformed speculation that passes as news and headlines unfortunately.
post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
When has Apple ever offered a price cut? They don't AFAIK unless they introduce new models that take the place of an older model and then they discount the older one.
Study the history of iPhone and iPod for countless examples. Mac mini also had several price reductions for comparable models along the way.

iPad mini *will* still sell out at launch and will still generate the obligatory news stories of fans camping outside Apple stores. They love to create the aura of scarcity while still having product flowing through the chain. Once inventory levels have built up and yields are good, it's easy for them to juice up sales with a new lower price in the 2's. But it's nearly impossible to start at $299 and increase it to $329 later.
post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 12:48 PM
Digital Sage

Do you think people will sleep overnight for a Ipad mini?

I can see other products but not this one.
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:19 PM

I think they did when the 4S was released. Can't see why it won't happen this time as well. It looks different than the iPad....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in