Apple announces iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch, 1,024 x 768 display, A5 CPU and LTE - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:29 PM
Veteran

Well, there are few things I hate more than trying to browse a website on a mobile device and having it pop up a "please get the app for this website" message on you.

When consuming/reading content I hate apps because they tend not to inter-link with other pieces of content that are outside the silo that is the given publication. The web is just plain better in this regard.

I guess I'm saying that sometimes I wish the website thought I had a Android tablet instead of a iPad so it didn't try to pressure me towards the native apps all the time.

So it's not a bonus all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Significantly more expensive than the competition & with a worse screen, I think Apple have missed a beat here.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownstar View Post
Significantly more expensive than the competition & with a worse screen, I think Apple have missed a beat here.
Only $100'sh more expensive, but you are getting quality over the cheap tablets from the competition. How is the screen worst?

post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:37 PM

Location: Penticton, BC, SC 505 HD, Westinghouse 32" HD LCD Widescreen, Yamaha RVX3800, eleganza 5.1 speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
Only $100'sh more expensive, but you are getting quality over the cheap tablets from the competition. How is the screen worst?
At that price, I smell a new Newton

Yamaha RVX3800, Eleganza Speakers, Epson Pro Cinema 1080p, 106" Accuscreen
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Well, there are few things I hate more than trying to browse a website on a mobile device and having it pop up a "please get the app for this website" message on you.
Chrome for Android allows you to request the desktop version and I believe you do not get those prompts. I assume Chrome for iOS has the same functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
The presentation today was very convincing with the fact that a 7.9 inch screen was 35% bigger than the 7.1 inch screen. Also the fact that it runs native tablet apps really give the iPad Mini a bump over Android.
How many average consumers actually watch the announcement events though? I'd bet it's a tiny minority. The iPad demo was also more than a little skewed; among other things they happened to pick an app that was tablet optimized for the iPad but not for Android.

If Google goes up on stage next week at their event and plays a movie on the iPad and on the Nexus 7 and shows that the extra screen real estate just results in black boxes, or they demo Google Maps directly against Apple Maps, does that change everything back again? Honestly, I think neither really moves the needle much.

The question is, will people be willing to pay a 65% premium ($200 vs $330) for an iPad instead of a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, or Nook Tablet? We're also assuming that these same people are/were unwilling to pay a 100% premium for an iPad 2. Does that $70 make a huge difference? I don't believe so.

Like I said, I think it will sell, and I think it will sell very well. I just don't think it will sell to the majority of people who would have otherwise bought a $200 Android tablet. I think the market will be composed of people who might have bought a $300-350 10 inch Android tablet, or people who would never have considered an Android tablet at all but wanted an iPad (or another iPad) at a more reasonable price.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:54 PM

Does anybody know how much RAM this comes with? 512MB like the iPad 2 & iPod Touch 5 or 1GB like the iPad 3?

Cheers
post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:57 PM
Veteran

You know, I find all the talk about price a little silly when they're all priced at such low levels.

Lets look at it in the larger context. If these are devices that are useful enough to be your go-to tool for a lot of things, then they're worth every penny. In fact, they're cheap. Compared to lots of other pieces of technology I've purchased in the past ~18 months (e.g. multiple Dell 30" IPS 2560x1600 displays, a ultrabook, high end processors and video cards) this stuff is down right cheap!

The only expensive tablets out there right now are the tablets that ends up sitting on the shelf, unused. If a tablet is something that you're going to use 5-7 days a week, you owe it to yourself to get the tablet that best fits your needs. The $100 price difference is really negligible here and only really matters if you're going to be bulk-buying the stuff (where it adds up real money).

So, if these are devices you see yourself using a lot, buy the best. They're all pretty inexpensive. If you're getting your first tablet device and you think you may not use it much, start out with a cheap one and see if the form factor is for you.
post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
$130 more per unit, at least in the US.

iPad Mini: 1024 x 768
Nexus 7: 1280 x 800
Kindle Fire HD: 1280 x 800
Nook HD: 1440 x 900

Obviously there's more to screens than simply resolution, but in terms of pixel density it's a step below the $200 competition.

That said, I don't think Apple wants to challenge the $200 mark. I have no doubt they could have released an 8 GB model at $249, as was rumoured, and still turned a profit, but they would have been torching their margins and cannibalizing sales of their higher margin models. Apple has never shown any inclination to enter the low-cost computing market, so I'm not sure why anyone would have thought they would now. People who will only buy $200 tablets were never going to buy an iPad and Apple doesn't want them, at least right now.

post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes they have native tablet apps but the depth and breadth of iPad apps is much greater.
Also most tablet apps come out to iPad before Android.
That is true but the gap is becoming much smaller and the number of tablet optimised apps is increasing, of all the apps on my phone that I have on my tablet only 3 are not tablet optimised.....Scramble with Friends, Scrabble & Speedtest.net

I really am surprised at the cost of the iPad mini compared to the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD, it really is too expensive when compared and unless you are significantly invested in the eco system, it doesn't make a good value proposition.
post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Too expensive is what the market won't pay for them. If it sells well, it's not too expensive, and I have no doubt it will sell well.

Is it a better value proposition than a Nexus 7 or other $200 tablet? Well that's entirely subjective on the part of every consumer. If a $200 Android tablet doesn't do what you want, then it doesn't matter how much cheaper it is. If it doesn't do what you want as well as an iPad Mini, then it becomes a subjective judgement of worth. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will fall on either side of that line.

post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I think more of a case of buy on the rumour sell on the News. Apple was up significantly yesterday. I believe the price after the drop was still above the Friday
Actually, the entire market tanked today, so the stock blip for AAPL is part of something larger.
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:10 PM
Veteran

I keep looking at the ipods now for a price comparison...

Apple iPod touch 4th Generation 16GB $199
Apple iPod touch 4th Generation 32GB $249
Apple iPod touch 5th Generation 32GB $299

I know, not the same thing. But it comes down to why are u getting a mini? Because the ipad is too big? You want more portability? While the mini does do that is it small enough to be portable? I actually think it might be to big. And its price is way to high. I think if i am in the market for an ipad mini i would have to seriously look hard at the ipad and be sure i dont want that extra screen and power... And if it needs to be portable should i consider the ipod or go android for a 7" tablet...

Hard to beleive it but after seeing the size comparison i kinda wish it was 7" instead of 7.8" ...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Actually, the entire market tanked today...
Except that Barnes and Noble (Nook) went up 6% with a big jump as soon as the Apple presentation ended. Amazon (Kindle) also went up with a noticeable upswing around 2 p.m.
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Too expensive is what the market won't pay for them. If it sells well, it's not too expensive, and I have no doubt it will sell well.

Is it a better value proposition than a Nexus 7 or other $200 tablet? Well that's entirely subjective on the part of every consumer. If a $200 Android tablet doesn't do what you want, then it doesn't matter how much cheaper it is. If it doesn't do what you want as well as an iPad Mini, then it becomes a subjective judgement of worth. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will fall on either side of that line.
Of course, but is there really that much an iPad mini does that a Nexus 7 doesn't? So unless you are totally invested in either eco system price will play a huge part in the decision making process.
post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thinner, lighter, narrower bezel, larger screen, iPad apps, Apple support (this matters a lot to some people). I'm sure there are more.

Are these worth $130 to you? They're not to me, but I don't know if I represent the majority, and I can't say someone is wrong for valuing things differently than I do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in