Samsung Galaxy Note II - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Samsung Galaxy Note II

This "phablet" (I hate the term, personally, but it is what it is) is getting awesome reviews. Honestly, I have no issues with its size because I'll never use it to make phone calls, so I'll never have to hold it up to my ear.
This one device is seriously tempting me to move to Android, and ditching my iPhone 4S and iPad3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 01:37 AM

I am also waiting for it to come out. My carrier releases it Oct 30th.
I have read nothing but good reviews.
I have a berry right now and after 6 years of service its time to upgrade to a much bigger and nicer screen.
I have giant hands and the size of it does not concern me at all.
Really looking forward to picking one up.
Sadly my carrier will only have the 16 and 32GB versions (at this time) and not the 64. With the option of having up to a 64gb micro sd card I was looking forward to having a 128gb phone.

1st one to pick one up share your thoughts.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 01:53 PM

As the owner of an original Galaxy Note, I feel that the "II" will finally be the one Android device that will finally convert large numbers of owners to finally consider a different OS. Not only are the hardware specs amazing, the Note II's well thought out software is finally mature enough to be a deal breaker. You can do so many (cool) useful things with this device that you can't with other offerings.

I also do not use the term "phablet". I prefer to explain to the curious, "this is a portable mini-computer and muti-media device that also just happens to be able to make phone calls". I've given up calling it a PDA, as that just increases the number of blank looks.

Things get even better if you flash a custom ROM. Hehe.

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 02:27 PM

I too have the original Note. At first, it seemed like a monster, but now, everything else seems so small.

Not sure if and when I'll gravitate towards the Note II.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:14 PM

I can't justify the cost moving up from the original to the II just yet, although it is a device I covet - a lot! Since I've flashed a custom ROM, I am so much happier than I was with the stock device, and I should be able to hang on for at least another year with what I have. It is still a capable and very 'zippy' device in its new guise.

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 05:34 PM
Veteran

A buddy of mine has the Note 1 as well and really loves it. I look forward to reading some posts here about the 2. That would be very interesting for some folks to give up an iPhone + iPad for one of these.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
{snipped} That would be very interesting for some folks to give up an iPhone + iPad for one of these.
That's precisely what I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to do. I bought her an original iPad from the US, when it was first released. She loved the fact that she had something not too many others had. It still works fine, but I've given her my iPad 2, now that I have a Note. She had an original iPhone as well, and faithfully upgraded to the 4 when it became available. She loves iDevices, but now that "every kid at the mall has one", it's no longer a unique item. She's really liking what my Note does, but I felt it would be to big for her, so encouraged her to consider an iPhone 5, in case she had remorse about switching to Android. She told me last night, that the pilots she works with all have Notes, and even they told her to get the Note II. She doesn't want to carry an iPhone and an iPad when traveling for work, when the Note II can be an acceptable replacement for both. So she's likely going to jump ship when it's available. Her quote, "I'm so tired of Apple! The Note II is so cool."

I can hardly hide my excitement.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 12:02 PM

Well the Note II is available in Canada now. I can only find 16gb versions. Does any know where the 32gb & 64gb models are?

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 05:45 PM

I too have the original Galaxy Note and I love it. Mine is only a few months old, so I won't upgrade it - maybe the Note 3 when they do the next one.

For me, the Note is the "sweet spot." Small enough to slip into my pocket, but big enough to comfortably read web sites, news and ebooks.

My 5.3" Note replaced my old 3.5" iPhone 3G and my old 7" Android tablet with one device.

Now, I can't imagine a carrying a smaller device.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
For me, the Note is the "sweet spot." Small enough to slip into my pocket, but big enough to comfortably read web sites, news and ebooks.
Thats exactly how I feel as well. I went from an LG iQ to the Note.... a huge step up in both size and function. At first I was thinking I wouldnt and couldnt get used to it, but that lasted only a couple days. I would love to pick up a Note2 to replace it but I too think I will hold off till the 3 comes out or at least till I see what 4.1 brings to the Note in December. I love the form factor of this series and don't think I could go back to a smaller phone now!
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 08:50 AM
Veteran

This is the phone I am thinking of getting - kind of.

Can't see anything but 16Gb models on Rogers. However, I am finding that having a 32Gb SG3 with a 32Gb microSD card is overkill. Unless you have a specific need, I would suggest saving your $$ and getting the 16Gb Note II and then get a microSD card of whatever size you need for your uses.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 11:44 AM

Just remember, that you can only put pictures, music, documents etc on the microSD. Apps, games, emails, etc can only go on the built in storage. So if you are a huge power user 16 may seem a bit small after a while.
But for normal use a 16gb internal + a 32 or 64gb microSD will meet all your needs and then some.

I am going to pick up one today. I will report back on what I think about it.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 01:50 PM

I thought App2SD solved most of that?
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-07, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Got mine yesterday. Played with it all night. The screen is awesome, and the S Pen stylus apps work well.
I am already used to the size and weight of it, and after this I can't go back to a smaller screen. As I said in my OP, this one device has replaced my iPad3 (sold when the iPad4 came out), and my iPhone4S.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-11-07, 01:58 PM

@Cyclism - Did you get the N7100 or N7105?

@cyclism - I think you can get the N7100 without LTE (international version) for around $580 or less. But I'm actually waiting for the North American version with LTE support. Which phone did you get?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in