Samsung Galaxy Note II - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 12:32 PM

Seems like such a shame to increase the bulk of such a beautifully thin phone, but if you want protection or personalization, then that's the trade off you'll have to make.

I don't like any phone case, and prefer to go 'au naturel'.

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 12:47 PM

I'm still waiting for otter box cases to come out for the Note II its been over a month and a half and still no note II otter box cases in stores.
Or even something other then the flip cover.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I don't have the 4.1.2 update yet. Checking daily via OTA and Kies.

I use the original Samsung Flip Cover for my Note II. I like it because it keeps the original form factor, gives some protection without much additional bulk, works as both a vertical and horizontal orientation stand, but I do find it gets in the way in terms of handling if I want to use the camera.

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 06:55 PM

That is one thing I enjoy about the flip cover it makes a great stand for movie watching. Like you mentioned its a pain for camera use. There is a slit for the ear peice but I guess if they had a hole for the camera it would defeat the protection for the screen

On my blackberry I had this nice roots rubber skin that I really liked because it would prevent it from sliding around. Though roots does not seem to be making them for the Note 2.

It be nice to find a case that has a little kick stand.

post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 07:00 PM

There is a fellow in Korea who has made tons of very useful and helpful videos on youtube just for the note II
He posts a new video every day.

Check it out

Its how I found out about wireless file transfer and many other tricks

(note that some of the tips are carrier and model specific)

post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 09:10 AM

I had the update alert on my screen this morning on my Roger's Note II and did the 4.1.2 update.. It takes about 5 minutes.

It's not earthshaking. The big feature is that you can now have two apps open at the same time, but you can only run apps that support multi-window and there aren't that many of them. (Only 12 on my phone). Many of the apps I'd like to use in multi-mode don't support this.

The upgrade was painless. All my apps and icons stayed the same. I didn't have to do any re-arranging to get things back to the way I wanted them.

The pop up "tips" windows (that you had when the phone was new) start popping up again alerting you to certain features, but you can easily turn them off).
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 12:40 PM

I also had the update (Telus). Took me longer about 15 minutes (including backup)

The multi window is of no use to me, but I do like that you can now customize the notification panel.

My biggest update that I am thrilled with is you can now set custom messenger alert tones for each contact with out a 3rd party app.
Why this was not around before I have no idea

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 04:55 PM

Any one see any Note 2 cases in stores other than the flip cover?

I have looked all over and seem no one is carrying these cases. Its been almost 6 months now since it came out and everywhere I look there is nothing except the little flip covers.

post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-09, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Just waiting for my Note 2 to arrive. I wanted one earlier but decided to wait - something I have much trouble doing. Had a BB, then went to iPhone - 3GS, and 4S. Bought two new 5's upon release for wife and I. She liked hers and kept it. I sent mine back. Bought an original Note in Mar 2012. Used it for a week and sold it. Couldn't get used to ICS.

Now seeing all the videos and reviews on the Note 2, I'm hooked. Hoping it meets my expectations. I'm sure it will. While I still love my iMac, MB and MBA, I think I'm done with iPhones.

I've been watching prices closely and the best deal for an unlocked i317m Note 2 in either color is at pdaplaza. No affiliation. It's where I bought the original Note as well.

Now if it would only get here NOW!! :-)

Also ordered the Steinheil screen protector. Have been using them for years. Best ones I've ever used. Usually replace once a year.

UAG Scout case on order as well as a $5 cheapy from Amazon.

Glad to hear you're all enjoying your Notes! I was tempted with the S4 but it doesn't offer anything I really see myself using that the cheaper Note 2 has already.

S
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 01:12 AM

New Note 2 owner with questions.

I'm loving the Note 2 experience so far (after 2 weeks with it). However...

The "Samsung" software being the default app for the important stuff is really annoying. I previously had a Nexus S, and I now know the difference between a Nexus phone and any other Android... it's the crapware.

When I try to change the contact list for example, I can go into the Menu/Settings/Application manager/then go to ALL...
Once there, I look for the Contacts App, and I only see the Samsung App.
However the Gmail contact list is more complete, and better integrated with my contacts (phone, email, snail mail addresses).

Going into the settings of the "Samsung Contacts", I cannot change the "launch by default" setting. It's greyed-out.

I tried going to the Play Store to download the Google Contacts, but it doesn't appear.

I would have really liked it if my new phone would have simply "synced" with my gmail account and populated the contact list as it was.

Any tips on getting rid of the "Samsung" stuff and changing default apps?
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 01:42 AM

Installed Facebook Home on my Note 2. Not impressed. I prefer Touchwiz over Facebook Home.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 03:29 AM
Veteran

While I have a Galaxy S III, I had no problem syncing my Google contacts with the Samsung Contacts app. Check your Sync settings in Settings > Accounts & Sync to make sure your Google account is set to sync contacts.

As for why you can't select the standard Contacts app you had on your Nexus S, it's because that app isn't even on the phone (and as you found out, Google doesn't supply that app on the Play Store). Same goes with the Messaging app -- you get the Samsung version because that's what they chose to install.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 04:17 PM

Finally got my self an Otterbox for the note 2. Makes the phone even bigger, but not issue for me as I have giant hands. Protects it nicely from damage now.
Only downside is the built in screen protector in the otterbox it kind of makes a loud clicking noise when touching things on the screen. I have tried it with an invisible shield and the otter box but the 2 do not work together nicely so I have removed the shield for now.
If it keeps annoying me I will pop out the otterbox screen protector and use the invisible shield again.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 04:27 PM

TechieFreak

Your question confused me a bit you want a different default app to show your contacts?
Or you want the contacts to be displayed differently?

If its the 1st I do not now how to help.
If its the 2nd while in contacts click the options button and choose "contacts to display" then choose from the list or choose custom

post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 2013-04-23, 01:27 PM

Google Maps voice

Just thought I would post a quirk I found and its solution.

If you use google maps on the note 2 and use navigation the voice will not talk through the phone if blue tooth is turned on. Google is trying to send the navigation audio to a blue tooth device.

So 1 solution is of course to turn blue tooth off. This will allow the navigation audio to go through the note 2 speaker. Of course turning blue tooth off isn't the best solution if you need to use blue tooth.

To get around this, in the blue tooth settings click the settings on the device you are communicating with and uncheck media audio.
This will allow you to still use blue tooth for calls etc but the navigation audio will now go through the speaker of the note 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in