Google announces Android 4.2, Nexus 4 phone, Nexus 10 tablet - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 09:21 PM
Veteran

Hopefully the lack of LTE will mean excellent battery life on the Nexus 4. If so, then the lack of a removable battery won't affect me much.

I do wish they'd offer a 32GB model though, as that would be perfect for my needs. Either way though, I'm probably getting it (regretted selling my Galaxy Nexus)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 09:23 PM

That...$50/month for 3yrs has kept me away from smartphones. I plan to get the Nexus 4 unlocked as my 1st smartphone. Pentaband too which means good to go in any country when you travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneral View Post
It's not perfect (no SD card, non-removable battery) but I am very impressed by the price of the nexus 4. I imagine Robellus will not be very keen on this model. How can you force people to sign 3-year contracts at $50+/month for a $300 phone? I hope this starts a new trend of reasonably priced, full-featured smartphones.
post #33 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima20 View Post
For those that have used the nexus and farmiliar with it and its capabilities, would you suggest the nexus 7 with the latest price drop as something to get for a toddler to watch shows and play games whilst on the move?

Also for the parent, am thinking of getting myself the 16 / 32 GB one just to surf, read, watch movies and play the odd game. How does this devide compare to the samsung galaxy 2 10.1?
I have the Nexus 7 and think it would be a good device for a child. I would recommend a grippy case since the plastic edge of the bevel is slippery.

However, for surfing, reading and movies, I would go with the Nexus 10 - I find the Nexus 7 screen too small. I have an iPad 3 and use it much more than the Nexus 7 at home.

However, with multi-user support you could just share a Nexus 10.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6

post #34 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 09:06 AM

I'm tempted by N10, but the shape is just outright ugly and reminds me a child tablet. I'll have to see it in the real life to make the final decision. I suspect that Sammy and Google are trying to protect themselves from being sued by Apple, but oval shape? Really? I wish they'd just decorated it all over the surface with Nexus logos, even that would have been better.
post #35 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 09:18 AM

Does anybody find it weird that the new smartphone is made by LG and it's new tablet is made by Samsung and not by Google's very own Motorola?
post #36 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 09:46 AM

the moto take over was only just recently approved

i also think they bought them mostly for there patents.

there also could of be existing deals in place well before the takeover was approved too.
post #37 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Has anyone seen at 16GB at the reduced price in a B&M store in Canada yet?
post #38 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezster View Post
Has anyone seen at 16GB at the reduced price in a B&M store in Canada yet?
Staples has the 16GB down to $239 - not $209 like the Play Store
post #39 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM4243 View Post
Does anybody find it weird that the new smartphone is made by LG and it's new tablet is made by Samsung and not by Google's very own Motorola?
and the Nexus 7 is made by ASUS.
post #40 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM4243 View Post
Not at all. First of all, Google doesn't want to upset their many hardware partners by making them feel like Motorola is getting any kind of preferential treatment. Samsung, LG, Asus, and the others all have other options than Android. If they feel like they are going to become second class citizens in the Android cycle, they'll turn to their other options.

Secondly, just because Google owns Motorola doesn't mean Motorola could do as good a job at building the devices Google wants. I'm not sure if it still works this way, but in the past the hardware manufacturers would each make a presentation to Google on what they could offer. Google would then pick one to develop the best Nexus device possible. Motorola might not have been able to provide the same inductive charging capabilities as LG, or the same high-resolution display as Samsung. And they might not have been able to match the price point of either Nexus device.

Motorola may well make a Nexus device eventually, but only if they can offer something the other manufacturers can't. In the meantime, I think/hope we'll see Motorola releasing devices closer to stock Android, and updating them faster. They may not be Nexus devices, but they will more closely reflect the ideal thoughts of the Android team.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #41 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I believe Sony is also coming out with a Nexus phone soon.
post #42 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 02:13 PM

That was a rumour but at this point it looks pretty false. There were some pictures circulating for a while, but they turned out to be photoshopped.

post #43 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 06:39 PM

I see the Nexus 4 supports SlimPort for tethering to any display, another plus.

So do you think there will be a LTE model released to the carriers?
post #44 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 06:59 PM

No, Google has effectively shot down the possibility of an LTE variant any time soon.

post #45 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 09:00 PM

Why is everyone hell bent on the LTE feature?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in