Google announces Android 4.2, Nexus 4 phone, Nexus 10 tablet - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 12:50 PM

$309/$359 for Canada. Movie purchases now also available.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 12:55 PM

and magazines yes!
post #18 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 12:56 PM

For those that have used the nexus and farmiliar with it and its capabilities, would you suggest the nexus 7 with the latest price drop as something to get for a toddler to watch shows and play games whilst on the move?

Also for the parent, am thinking of getting myself the 16 / 32 GB one just to surf, read, watch movies and play the odd game. How does this devide compare to the samsung galaxy 2 10.1?

Getting these 2 will still be cheaper than an iPad. Is there an SD slot and HDMI on either of these?

Your thoughts please

post #19 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Nexus 7 doesn't have a SD card, not sure about the 10. I doubt it since they sell it in different sizes.
post #20 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 01:02 PM

The Samsung has a microSD slot but a slower processor and an older version of Android.
post #21 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Samsung and Google introduce Nexus 10

Powerful 10" Tablet with the World's Highest Resolution Display

Press release:
Quote:
Mountain View, CA - October 29, 2012 - The newest tablet from Google and Samsung's joint efforts, Nexus 10, is a powerful device that marries Samsung's best-in-class hardware, the latest version of Android-4.2 Jelly Bean, and the best of Google. With the world's highest resolution tablet display, all new multi-user support, immersive HD content and the best Google apps - Nexus 10 has something for everyone.

Nexus 10 packs powerful components inside a surprisingly lean, soft-to-the-touch frame – measuring an incredibly thin 8.9 mm and weighing just 603 grams, it's the perfect couch or coffee table companion. Nexus 10 was created in partnership with Samsung and comes with a blazing fast dual-core A15 processor and advanced MIMO WiFi, giving you web browsing speeds up to 4x faster than normal WiFi.* With the 1.9MP front-facing camera, you'll look great as you video chat with up to nine friends at once with Google+ Hangouts, and so will your friends on the dazzling 10" display.

Nexus 10 was made for everyone to enjoy. Just turn on your tablet and tap your photo to sign in to your own home screen, apps, email, photos and storage. All new multi-user support lets each user have their own separate space, and save their own individual high scores on games, all on the same tablet. With the new Daydream mode on Nexus 10 you can display useful or delightful information on your tablet when it's charging. Choose to show off your photo albums, get the latest news from Google Currents, and more.

Samsung continuously strengthens our partnership with Google to deliver the most compelling Android device experience, enabling users to be always on the top of the game.
post #22 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
Nexus 7 doesn't have a SD card, not sure about the 10. I doubt it since they sell it in different sizes.

I suppose one can just hook it up to the computer and transfer movies, songs et al that way, or do it wirelessly via cloud?

The prices sound good and it seems like less of a hassle compared to Apple stuff. Everybody loves Google Unlocked phone for $300, that is just sweet

This could be my 1st smartphone. I'll be crossing the border Fri the 16 Nov to pick up the stuff once I make up my mind, just 1hr drive
post #23 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Yes users! Hope the nexus7 gets the update soon after these release... I need multiple users on my tablet even my phone these days could use it.. Three kids gives all my devices many changes to get in their hands I need more control and security

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #24 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 02:17 PM

Does one need a data package to use the BEAM feature on the phone and tablet? I ask because I just plan to use it with PAYG and wi-fi
post #25 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima20 View Post
Does one need a data package to use the BEAM feature on the phone and tablet? I ask because I just plan to use it with PAYG and wi-fi
If by beam-feature you mean NFC, the answer is no, you don't need data.
post #26 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 02:40 PM

The Nexus 4 pricing, for a pentaband, factory unlocked device is awesome. It might not be an iPhone 5 killer on specs, but on pricing.. WOW.
post #27 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The Nexus 4 pricing, for a pentaband, factory unlocked device is awesome. It might not be an iPhone 5 killer on specs, but on pricing.. WOW.
Other than LTE, I don't know what the N4 is lacking compared to the iPhone.
post #28 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 04:57 PM
Veteran

...more storage options, and from early leaks the camera may not be as good.

Still, $350 is a really good deal for the Nexus 4.
post #29 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 05:08 PM
Veteran

The Nexus 10 is incredibly temping, I've had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a year now and love its quality and performance (rooted with custom ICS & kernel), the Nexus 10 takes it to the next level.
post #30 of 180 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 09:09 PM

It's not perfect (no SD card, non-removable battery) but I am very impressed by the price of the nexus 4. I imagine Robellus will not be very keen on this model. How can you force people to sign 3-year contracts at $50+/month for a $300 phone? I hope this starts a new trend of reasonably priced, full-featured smartphones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in