Google Unveils New Ultra-Slim Samsung Chromebook for $249 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-19, 11:06 AM

Unfortunately it isn't going to be sold in Canada, like past Chromebooks.

I have a Samsung Series 550, and it looks like this is a slightly lower powered version. I'm not sure how the ARM processor compares directly to the dual core Celeron in the 550, but the 2 GB of RAM stands out to me.

That said, for that price that's a simply fantastic deal for a capable thin client browser. This is what people said Google needed to do when they first introduced Chrome OS. It's ideal for seniors with limited computer capabilities, University students who will always have Wi-Fi at school and can use Docs/Drive for school work, or families who have a capable desktop or laptop and want a second device for web browsing while the first device is in use.

I'm hoping there's a way for current Chromebook owners to claim the 2 years of 100 GB of Drive storage.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-19, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Very nice. Being a Google product, I assume it comes with Android. From what I read about the processor, it is designed to support Windows RT. Could a Samsung Windows RT product be in the works?

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-19, 02:06 PM

Nope, Chromebooks run Chrome OS.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-19, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Hehe don't drag over the windows surface confusion to this product... Lol

it's chrome os.. Not android rt version :-)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-19, 04:37 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Chromebooks run Chrome OS.
Which for the record is a Linux based operating system that has been tailored to run web applications and pretty much requires constant connection to the web.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Which for the record is a Linux based operating system that has been tailored to run web applications and pretty much requires constant connection to the web.
That said, Google employees have stated there is a developer mode available in the arm version of the hardware just as in the intel versions, so it should be possible to flash uboot and install an arm specific ubuntu, or other distribution of linux.

But like others mentioned, it's oddly not available in Canada. Which frustrates me because I totally want one.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 12:57 PM
Veteran

I missed the "notebook" part. I tried to find some detailed info on the O/S but Google isn't giving much away in the press releases. So this is basically a Linux notebook that has been locked down by Google then? Even so, it sounds like a sweet deal. I wonder how long it will take before it's hacked to run regular Linux. That would make it really interesting and an even better deal.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 01:20 PM

Chrome OS is a Linux OS. It is essentially just the Chrome browser, with some local storage for limited file storage and off-line enabled HTML5 apps.

The advantage is without the bloat of the rest of a traditional OS, Chrome OS runs very well on low-powered hardware and can boot in under 10 seconds. The low-powered hardware also means lengthy battery life.

The disadvantage is that you can't (easily) run anything that isn't available in the browser or Chrome web store. Also, without a persistent internet connection, functionality is extremely limited (though offline Docs work now).

Personally, Chrome OS works very well for me. I ran it on an Acer Aspire One for over a year, squeezing new life from the borderline obsolete first generation Intel Atom. Now I have a Samsung Series 5 550 and it is easily the smoothest and nicest laptop I've ever owned. That said, it's certainly not for everyone.

Edit: Here is a YouTube video by The Verge from April, when Chrome OS received a major update to the current Aura UI. If you're interested, a guy named Hexxeh compiles Chromium OS (the open source version) nightly and makes the builds available to anyone to download. If you have compatible hardware (usually netbooks work best), you can run it off a USB key to try it out.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 03:18 PM

So what is the advantage of running Chrome instead of some Linux distro? Wouldn't Linux have more functionality?

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 03:43 PM
Veteran

As TorontoColin said:

Quote:
The advantage is without the bloat of the rest of a traditional OS, Chrome OS runs very well on low-powered hardware and can boot in under 10 seconds. The low-powered hardware also means lengthy battery life.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-12-20, 09:22 PM

advantage of Chrome instead of some Linux distro?

If you want to recommend a notebook for family and friends who will be constantly calling you for IT help this should be a no brainier. Fast to boot, no viruses or malware, constantly updated and all files backed up in the cloud. All they want to do can be done in a browser.

sony SXRD, Denon, Szabo, psb. mirage, Antique Sound labs
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-12-21, 02:46 PM
Veteran

^^^
Skype?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-12-21, 04:21 PM

As far as I know there is no Skype option, but Google Talk Video or Google+ Hangouts both work very nicely.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-12-26, 10:34 PM
Veteran

How about Flash, does it support that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in