Microsoft Surface RT Pre-Order is on line - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Microsoft Surface RT Pre-Order is on line

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.257918700

What I expected the prices to fall around. I was hoping for a little less, but still somewhat manageable.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 02:04 PM

$519 for 32 GB
$619 for 32 GB with black touch cover
$719 for 64 GB with black touch cover

$129 for touch cover in white or cyan
$139 for type cover

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 02:08 PM

In my opinion they're making the same mistake as Android tablet manufacturers initially. They're expecting people to pay similar prices to an iPad, but they haven't created a product that is definitively better than the iPad.

Yes I realize it has Office Suite, but Windows RT won't run Windows software so the app selection will be extremely limited. If it was the Intel based version I'd see these prices as much more justifiable, but for the RT version it seems like they really should have undercut the iPad, even by a little.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I agree TC. Initially, people will buy this on faith. The prices are in line with the current iPad but will fall far short in available apps for starters. They need to get on line very quickly with essential apps (instagram and the like) for people to take notice.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 02:51 PM
Member #1

Quote:
If it was the Intel based version I'd see these prices as much more justifiable, but for the RT version it seems like they really should have undercut the iPad, even by a little.
Totally agree. I really see no reason why it shouldn't be priced similar to Android tablets. I think MS will say "oh, we offer 32 GB tablet for $519 while iPad charges $619 for it". I doubt this will resonate with consumers.

Along the same lines, I think most consumers will have no idea that Windows 8 on a tablet is NOT the same as Windows 8 on a laptop or desktop. I think they will be angry when they realize they can't run their regular windows software on their tablet thereby diminishing the "value" of a tablet with Windows 8.

post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 03:18 PM
Veteran

I agree.. As a windows laptop user, i would only go to the Surface if it could do all the things my laptop does(minus the optical drive and huge storage im ok with that i have cloud and desktop and externals for that) The display on a tablet just blows away my 600$ laptop.. I would replace my windows laptop if this could do the same work run the programs i run now.

The kickstand and keyboard cover are slick.. Price point is just too steep.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Along the same lines, I think most consumers will have no idea that Windows 8 on a tablet is NOT the same as Windows 8 on a laptop or desktop. I think they will be angry when they realize they can't run their regular windows software on their tablet thereby diminishing the "value" of a tablet with Windows 8.
Well they can run regular Windows on a tablet. Just not this RT version. Yes it is confusing.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:30 PM
Member #1

Because some people installed Windows 8 Release Candidate on an Android Tablet doesn't really qualify. Now that MS wants to control the hardware and software, I'll bet the production version of W8 will prevent installs to an Android tablet.

Back on track, my guess is the majority of people who are considering buying a Windows tablet don't know that it's running W8 RT not Windows 8.

post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:37 PM
Veteran

Agreed with TorontoColin. For what you are getting, the price is a little steep; especially considering the limited app selection right now. Even the Office RT package is just a preview, and it hasn't been revealed how much that will actually cost to unlock it.

Even the overall specs seem a bit underwhelming for the $499 price point when you factor that something like the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity costs the same, yet has a 1080p screen and probably a faster processor. The keyboard dock for the Transformer is slightly more than the Surface's keyboard covers, but also has the benefit of housing a secondary battery. Spec-wise, this is more competing with the $399 Android tablets like the Transformer Pad TF300 or even the recently-announced $439 Lenovo IdeaTab S2110.

Right now, it's the "Windows" name that has the potential to help sales of the device; but as hugh indicates, there is a very possible risk that buyers will think they can run their standard apps on Surface RT.

Overall, with this price (and the cost of the additional keyboard covers), Surface RT just doesn't have the appeal that it did when Microsoft first showed off the device.
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
While I agree that Microsoft should have had the Intel based tablets ready for release this month, I don't think Microsoft has claimed anywhere that Surface runs Windows 8. They always say Windows RT. Personally, I think they should have licensed the "Metro" name and called the os for ARM chips "Metro", and say that Windows 8 "includes Metro". But don't use the name "Windows" in conjunction with the regular Surface.

For myself, I'm waiting for Surface Pro. But the Surface might be a good Christmas gift for people who are frustrated by the limitations of iOS.
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11
especially considering the limited app selection right now. Even the Office RT package is just a preview, and it hasn't been revealed how much that will actually cost to unlock it.
Yes they have. It's the $99/year office subscription that Microsoft wants to move everyone to. You know, the one that includes up to 5 devices and a 20GB of Skydrive space and some Skype time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11
Even the overall specs seem a bit underwhelming for the $499 price point when you factor that something like the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity costs the same, yet has a 1080p screen and probably a faster processor.
True, but the problem with Android tablets is that they're running... Android. All the Android tablets I've tried (which doesn't include the Nexus 7) have been pretty terrible. Android is pretty good phone OS. Not so great for tablets. Honestly, I think Windows tablets will close the window of opportunity for Google to win in that space.

You may say "but Android has more apps than Windows RT". Yeah, most Android apps are only built for phones, and work poorly (if at all) on tablets. At least Microsoft did some UI innovation with Metro and side-by-side apps with multitasking gestures. I've been pretty disappointed with Google's efforts to make Android "work" on tablets.
post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Because some people installed Windows 8 Release Candidate on an Android Tablet doesn't really qualify. Now that MS wants to control the hardware and software, I'll bet the production version of W8 will prevent installs to an Android tablet.
I was referring to Windows 8 Pro tablets which will be sold alongside RT versions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
But the Surface might be a good Christmas gift for people who are frustrated by the limitations of iOS.
But the Surface has the same limitations, if not more. Without the back-catalog of Windows software, what can it do that the iPad can't?

Also, let's please try not to get into the quality of Android on tablets here. Plenty of places to talk about that.

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why would people assume it can run full blown Windows? I can't think of anyone who would believe an iPad would run Mountain Lion.

post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 05:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin
But the Surface has the same limitations, if not more. Without the back-catalog of Windows software, what can it do that the iPad can't?
Select text using a mouse cursor rather than the frustrating touch select interfaces than Android/iOS have, plug in a USB memory stick, and two apps concurrently (using the "snap" feature).

Open Office documents and edit them with the confidence that what you send back to someone else won't be borked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in