Microsoft Surface RT Pre-Order is on line - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:41 PM

Not exactly the type of review that generates buzz. Many of the comments at gizmodo supporting the product keep repeating "it is not a laptop replacement". Which is what I thought it was. If it is just a tablet then it is overpriced and under-supported.

It does not have a facebook app? Really? And the Office app is only a preview version? It seems to fail at being a tablet or a laptop replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It does not have a facebook app? Really? And the Office app is only a preview version? It seems to fail at being a tablet or a laptop replacement.
1. It's the Surface Pro will be the laptop replacement.

2. Office will be upgraded to a non-preview version shortly I'm sure, since the non-preview version of Office 2013 is on Technet/MSDN already.

3. If you have a high quality browser and a large screen, a dedicated "app" isn't very important for most people. Are desktop users complaining they don't have a Facebook App? That said, I'm sure Metro Facebook/twitter/etc apps will be out shortly.
post #93 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:56 PM

I would consider the Surface RT a netbook replacement and the Surface Pro a laptop replacement. But as the author said using Internet Explorer = Blech.

Glad to see he basically repeated our discussion about the Windows OS confusion.

Quote:
Desktop mode is entirely worthless in RT, a cruel tease of non-functionality. It'll only remind you of how much you can't do with your Surface, and is going to confuse the living hell out of most people who buy one—especially when Surface Pro, built on x86 architecture and perfectly compatible with all of those legacy programs, steps in a few months from now.

post #94 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post

3. If you have a high quality browser and a large screen, a dedicated "app" isn't very important for most people.
Huh? Im not a big facebook user but my wife is and all she uses is the app. I enjoy reading the paper in the morning and my local one (Chronicle Herald) has an app and I use it exclusively. Tapatalk is excellent for reading forums instead of pinching and zooming all the time. I am quite surprised you would even make that statement with the use of "most people". In my opinion it would be "most people" who expect an app nowadays.
post #95 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
But as the author said using Internet Explorer = Blech.
Not to go OT too far, but I just think I should point out that IE10 is quite good. There are a lot of people who like to make blanket statements (e.g. IE = bad). But when I see people who try and include IE10 in the "bad" category are almost certainly uninformed on the state of browser rendering engines. IE10 is very competitive.

For the people out there who aren't in the know when it comes to web development, the primary criticism is that old versions of IE are missing support for features that the developer wants to use.

Go take a look at caniuse.com and see how well IE10 does when it comes to implementing critical features in HTML5/CSS3.
post #96 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Huh? Im not a big facebook user but my wife is and all she uses is the app.
Sure, and my girlfriend uses the Facebook website on her Galaxy Nexus.

My point is that desktop and laptop users, all of whom have a larger display aren't requesting a app. At least, I've never seen people say "damn it; I need a Facebook app on Windows or Mac OS X!"
post #97 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:22 PM

Right on a laptop or desktop with a full OS. I took your post as referring to people with tablets. iPads, Android.... people want apps on tablets in my opinion
post #98 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I took your post as referring to people with tablets
As did I. We were talking about the lack of a tablet app for facebook on the Surface.
post #99 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 02:56 PM
Veteran

There are more and more and bigger apps (today Skype 2 or 3 weeks ago Netflix) being released up to release day. Let's argue about apps once it actually drops.

I agree about IE 10 being pretty good although I am primarily a Firefox user. There are Windows 8 style browsers from Mozilla and Google in the works. I don't know if they will work with RT or not however.
post #100 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Not exactly the type of review that generates buzz. Many of the comments at gizmodo supporting the product keep repeating "it is not a laptop replacement". Which is what I thought it was. If it is just a tablet then it is overpriced and under-supported.

A couple of things:
1) Office is preview on the RT right now because of testing. By the time it hits the streets, a fully functional free Office will be available for download/upgrade. (Word, Excel, Powerpoint & OneNote)

2) It may not have a Facebook app at release day, but it has "people hub" which connects to all social networking media built in.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #101 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

To counter the confusion:

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #102 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
3. If you have a high quality browser and a large screen, a dedicated "app" isn't very important for most people. Are desktop users complaining they don't have a Facebook App? That said, I'm sure Metro Facebook/twitter/etc apps will be out shortly.
I agree - for the Globe and Mail I normally use the browser rather than the app. The only real advantage for the app is offline access.

The main reason for really needing an app is when the web page uses something like Flash or Silverlight - web streaming being a prime example.

And some "Apps" really are just HTML5 web pages like the one for the Financial Times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in