Microsoft Surface RT Pre-Order is on line - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 01:41 AM
Veteran

Quote:
BTW (and I'm being serious) will Windows RT apps run on Windows Phone?
From what I could find, the answer is no, Windows Phone 8 Apps and Windows 8/RT Apps are not the same. They have different development libraries and other requirements differ. According to MS, it should be easy for developers to port the applications but it does require some work. How's that for a kick in the teeth for Windows 8/RT/Phone 8 consumers?

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 09:27 AM

Did anyone here actually pre-order one? Or is everyone fine with there iOS and Android devices.
post #78 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I'm kind of afraid to raise my hand - but I did.

We have an iPad 2 in our household that I bought for my girlfriend and she loves it. I have used it on occasion, but it has all her apps on it so I didn't want to put anything I like on it. At one time in the beginning I was toying with the idea of a Playbook but as RIM's future was in question, I opted out. The only other device I considered was the Nexus 7, but I wanted a full sized tablet.

I know it's a massive leap of faith on my part - but I like the idea of the ecosystem, and since I don't have any other Apple tech, it seemed silly to have a lone "orphan" iPad that won't integrate with my W8 laptop, my Windows Phone etc.

I guess we'll see.

From my standpoint, I don't see the RT being an "iPad killer", but as an alternate device - another choice for consumers.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

post #79 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
According to MS, it should be easy for developers to port the applications but it does require some work. How's that for a kick in the teeth for Windows 8/RT/Phone 8 consumers?
I don't really think this is a kick in the teeth for consumers, more for developers. That is the end game however, to have apps that run across all the platforms. I think as time goes on it will get easier and easier for the porting for developers. The consumer on the other hand will be oblivious to all this all they know is they potentially have the same app available to them on their PC, Phone, tablet, and xbox and hopefully they all function in the same way. (again endgame)
post #80 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 11:40 AM
Veteran

Good for you Spike enjoy your Surface! For what its worth, I use a Playbook and really like it (flash, activesync e-mail, stereo sound, radio app, fits in my pocket) and I use a BB Torch which I don't really like. I have used an iPad for about 5 months. I liked it too. The kids however used it a lot more than I did. Now that its gone, they use the PB but don't seem to enjoy it as much because of the lack of apps. (games) I am undecided for getting a Windows 8 tablet as of now, but I do plan on getting Windows 8 for two desktop PCs in the house. I am also considering flatting my Windows Home Server 2011 in favor of a Windows 8 "sudo" server for the house. Be sure to check out Xbox music on Windows 8 I have had a zune pass (now xbox music) since it launched in Canada.
post #81 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 12:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't really think this is a kick in the teeth for consumers, more for developers.
From the consumer point of view, it means a double purchase for Phone 7/8 and Windows 8/RT. That assumes the app has been ported. What, your favourite hasn't been ported? Too bad, find something else and buy it twice. Compare that to Android where you can buy once and play on phone and tablet. Not sure about iOS but porting is not a big issue.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #82 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 12:16 PM

On iOS you buy a tablet version of an app separately. On Android, many apps scale based on the screen size, but many don't and have two different versions.

One of the big criticisms of Android tablets, especially in the past, was that so many apps were just stretched out phone apps. The Surface won't have any of that. Every app in its store will be designed for the Surface screen size and interface.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #83 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

For my girlfriends' devices (iPad 2, iPhone 4) some are available on both and some are exclusive. In my case, I have spent probably a grand total of 11.00 on apps so if I have to repurchase those apps for the same price again, so be it. But then again, I'm not really an app hound in the first place.

BTW - WP7 is not the same as WP8. WP8 undergoes a kernal change that will resemble the RT and the apps for Win 8, so porting over will be much easier for developers.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #84 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
On iOS you buy a tablet version of an app separately. On Android, many apps scale based on the screen size, but many don't and have two different versions.
On iOS the developer can produce one Universal app which has one UI for the phone and one UI for the tablet.
post #85 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 12:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
WP7 is not the same as WP8.
Aware of that. MS has gone to some lengths to make porting easier for developers. They haven't done the same for consumers. Compare that to Android where the same app is basically available for all versions of Android. I suspect that iOS is similar. IMHO, MS is way too late in bringing a stable, standardized interface to market. They need to get a minimum of 20%-30% market share very quickly. If that means selling hardware at a loss (like they did with Xbox) or giving away software (like they do with Windows,) MS needs to do it now. Selling a "me too" product, like the surface, at a premium price is not likely to succeed with consumers, especially when comparable Android tablet prices are plunging to the $100-$300 level.

post #86 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

If they have made it easier for developers to create for multiple platforms how would it not benefit consumers? They created a common kernal with express purpose to port easily - you think they did that solely for the developers? As far as coming late to the party - well, yes it's too bad they didn't come up with this sooner - but I think of it as rejoining the party. They were here earlier, but decided to bring rot gut the first time around, now they brought Wiser's Special Old.

As far as taking 20-30% of the market straight away - that's a herculean effort and if they did, it would be the success story of the century. They won't - but don't worry about Microsoft - I think they might have the operating capital to be in it for the long haul.

There is nothing "me too" about the Surface, aside from the fact it's a tablet. Even just looking at its start screen, it won't be confused for an iPad or Android tablet.

And based upon brisk sales of pre orders, it seems to be enjoying a modicum of success so far. Not in the stratosphere of Apple devices of course, but not bad for a Microsoft offering.

post #87 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 02:34 PM
Member #1

Quote:
From what I could find, the answer is no, Windows Phone 8 Apps and Windows 8/RT Apps are not the same.
Thanks for the answer. That's unfortunate about them not being able to run on both. I love having the universal apps for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad since its one purchase for all of the devices.

post #88 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 09:35 AM
Veteran

Well for what it's worth, today the Advanced English Dictionary (AED) is sitting in the Store on Windows 8 and it says in the description the app came from Windows phone. So I think from the users point of view, the same apps are available from one device to another. There is an advantage to having them separate however, that is the app will be optimized for the device so there will not be any phone apps that appear in the middle of the screen the size of a phone screen. I can't see that being easier for developers mind you plus for Microsoft on the back end. Hopefully they have a plan for all that.
post #89 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:46 PM
Veteran

post #90 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-24, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Metro apps for Windows 8 and RT (which use WinRT) are very different than the Metro apps that run on Windows Phone 7 from a technology standpoint, since WP7 uses a version of Silverlight for it's apps.

With Windows Phone 8 that all changes since WP8 moves to the same runtime (WinRT) as the other versions of Windows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in