Microsoft Surface RT Pre-Order is on line - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Especially since the price is close to that of a well equipped netbook running Windows proper.
Does anyone really buy netbooks anymore? People want touch-screens now with a mobile-like operating systems, and apps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 11:35 AM
Veteran

And now this:

Microsoft: Surface beats the iPad in display quality
A Microsoft engineer tries to explain why he believes the display found on the Surface RT tablet is superior to that of the iPad even with a lower resolution.

If Apple made a claim like that, the haters would be ALL OVER THEM.

While I can appreciate some of what this guy says, the iPad has more than 3 times the amount of pixels that the Surface has. I wonder why all this genius contrast technology he's talking about wasn't used back when 20 inch CRT monitors were $2,000 and had less pixels than that.
post #33 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

It also has an SD slot for extra capacity.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

post #34 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:07 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veee View Post
Does anyone really buy netbooks anymore?
Cheap notebooks killed the netbook market. For a small extra, you get a way better machine.
post #35 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:35 PM
Member #1

And me thinks that cheap ultrabooks could kill the Surface.

The more I think about it, if I am going to spend $729 for a Windows Surface RT with 64GB and a keyboard/cover then why not just buy a Ultrabook?

There is a Lenovo Ultrabook at Best Buy this week for $570. It can be upgraded to the real Windows 8 for $15. It's not the greatest but its $150 cheaper and has an SSD drive and keyboard. My guess is that by Christmas, you should be able to get a pretty decent ultrabook for $750.

post #36 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:43 PM
Veteran

Microsoft Surface pre-orders are up, are you buying?

$600.00 bucks for the 32Gb WinRT device with a touch cover. Personally I would rather put that $600.00 towards a new laptop.
post #37 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:44 PM
Veteran

That's the problem with these tablets.... They are crippled windows machines both in software and hardware yet cost more spec vs spec..

That rt version needs to be in net book price territory and the full windows version needs to be in the low to midrange laptop price point.... Being in the ultra book price as Hugh points out us crazy... Being able to touch the screen does not justify the higher price..

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #38 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

This thread is going exactly as I had thought.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #39 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 12:57 PM
Member #1

Quote:
This thread is going exactly as I had thought.
Why the snarky remark? What did you expect people to talk about?

post #40 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 01:04 PM

This was a reply to j0dest3r's question that was moved from a different thread (see post 36).

Nope, I think the price point is too high for a new tablet OS that has yet to establish their market share and prove that they will stick around.

Cheers

Last edited by Shiningblade; 2012-10-17 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added context to post
post #41 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
And me thinks that cheap ultrabooks could kill the Surface.

The more I think about it, if I am going to spend $729 for a Windows Surface RT with 64GB and a keyboard/cover then why not just buy a Ultrabook?
Because you already have a laptop. Why do you want another?

A tablet is a different experience.
post #42 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 01:59 PM
Veteran

It looks to me that MS still doesn't "get it." The Windows name alone is not going to sell devices anymore. A Windows Tablet will initially sell a certain number of units, due to pent up demand, but it's got to have a larger, longer term consumer appeal. From the specs, it's obvious that the Surface RT is aimed at consumers. To sell in large numbers, it will need to have a "wow factor", something like Apple's Retina Screen. I don't see anything like that. In order to compete with the iPad it's got to have lots of apps and easy media accessibility. Don't see that. (Instead, a lot of consumers are probably still mad at MS for ungraciously shutting down their media service a few years ago.) To compete with Android, it needs a low price and value for the money. Don't see that either.

So what does the the Surface RT have going for it? MS hype will wear off. Pent up demand will wear off. The Windows name will disappoint due to the crippled nature of RT. MS really needs to step up and give the Surface wide appeal and sell lots of units. Otherwise, it will have another Windows Phone on its hands.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #43 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Why the snarky remark? What did you expect people to talk about?
I expected most here would write it off as an abject failure without the device being released yet. And I wasn't disappointed.

post #44 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 03:00 PM
Member #1

Wow, I'm disappointed at your condescending tone to the participants of this thread.

If you had taken the time to actually read my comments, I said

Quote:
FWIW, I am looking at getting another tablet for the house this Christmas so I am considering whether to get another iPad, an iPad Mini, a Nexus 7 or a Windows tablet.
and then I said

Quote:
but I am reserving judgement until I can actually play with one of these devices.
Nowhere did anyone on this thread describe it as an abject failure. Those are your words.

post #45 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 03:19 PM

I don't think anyone here is necessarily saying the device itself is bad. I'm certainly not. I just don't think it brings enough to the table, at least at launch, to be priced so highly. If they had priced it at $399 and $499 with the touch cover then I would be much more bullish, because then they would very clearly have a differentiating factor from the iPad.

I'm actually quite looking forward to Windows 8. I'll be upgrading my desktop as soon as MS makes it available. And I believe that Windows RT tablets can be successful, I'm just skeptical on the Surface, at that price. If another OEM brings a quality model at $399, or even $349 I'll be much more optimistic.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in