Microsoft Surface RT Pre-Order is on line - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 06:04 PM

Hugh's intuition is right on. Windows RT, Windows NT, Windows XP they must be just upgrades right?

Especially since the price is close to that of a well equipped netbook running Windows proper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 07:06 PM
Veteran

The Surface tablet does look really cool but you have to ask yourself why hasn't there been any extensive reviews or hands on testing, surely if its that awesome Microsoft would have been thrusting them at the media to gain positive reviews.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2012-10-16 at 07:14 PM. Reason: removed off-topic content
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 07:18 PM

It's still 10 days from launch. It's not unusual for tech companies to restrict the media's ability to publish reviews until very close to the release date in order to maintain momentum. If they don't send review hardware at all, then I'd be concerned.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 07:20 PM
Veteran

"In fact, Surface deserves your blind trust even less than most other gadgets, if that's even possible. We're 10 days from broad release, and Microsoft hasn't so much as let anyone touch its tablet beyond a couple of cursory swipes and taps. Those hands on posts from this summer? Those were Microsoft PR's hands. This most recent round of coverage? Mostly ogling.

Not even Microsoft's first Surface ad shows people actually using the damn thing. I like dancing and clicking as much as the next guy, but I'm not blowing that much of my paycheck on it"
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 07:37 PM
Veteran

I think there will be disappointment for some if they buy this thinking that Windows RT is a full blown windows OS... Admittedly i have not looked into it, but I had assumed that this was full blown Windows8 on this tablet..

Here is a very thin comparison on the Windows RT and Windows 8 surface offerings:
http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/5799/5800

and the OS's which one is right for u:
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...dows-rt-144535

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Select text using a mouse cursor rather than the frustrating touch select interfaces than Android/iOS have, plug in a USB memory stick, and two apps concurrently (using the "snap" feature).

Open Office documents and edit them with the confidence that what you send back to someone else won't be borked.
Fair enough; those are real, tangible benefits. As a device for manipulating Office files, there is probably no contest between the Surface and other tablets.

However, at the moment at least, the Surface is way behind iOS (and Android) in terms of media consumption. Additionally, any specialized software a company uses is more likely to work on an iPad than a Windows RT device right now. That could change very quickly, but it might not.

The benefits of Office might sell some more corporate Surface tablets, however some of that will come at the expense of Windows laptops. For the average consumer, however, there are far more things to consider than Office. And given their current marketing campaign, that seems like the market Microsoft is targeting.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 08:55 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Why would people assume it can run full blown Windows? I can't think of anyone who would believe an iPad would run Mountain Lion.
Because that is the way its presented by. At Best Buy they call it Windows 8 for tablets, the popular press say tablets with windows 8. The distinction between Windows 8 being on ultrabook type devices and Windows RT on lower end tablets is seldom noted.

For the record, Apple never says OS X for tablets or tablets with OSX. I doubt any consumers believe that OS X and iOS are the same.

Quote:
Admittedly i have not looked into it, but I had assumed that this was full blown Windows8 on this tablet.
TKG, don't feel bad. Most people I talk to think that and frankly I think a lot of so called reporters think that too because when I read articles they typically just say that Microsoft is coming out with a Windows tablet. The reality is that MS sells it as Windows 8 across all platforms so many folks simply don't appreciate the difference.

post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Even the Office RT package is just a preview, and it hasn't been revealed how much that will actually cost to unlock it.
Quote:
After the final editions release, you’ll be automatically updated for free via Windows Update.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/ho...103210361.aspx

The version that's included (Office Home & Student 2013 RT) is not for use in a business.
post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 10:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike4881 View Post
Why would people assume it can run full blown Windows? I can't think of anyone who would believe an iPad would run Mountain Lion.
Seriously? I think that's the first, perfectly valid assumption people would make.

Windows ME. Windows 2000. Windows XP. Windows Vista. Windows 7. All compatible. Then you expect people to know Windows RT isn't?

With Apple, it's always iOS for mobile and a big cat name for the desktop.
post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 07:52 AM

To add to the confusion is that the "Pro" version of the Surface will run Windows 8 proper not RT.
post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 08:30 AM

There was a poll 2 months ago that asked how much would you pay for a 32GB Surface.

$199: 6%
$199: 16%
$249: 15%
$299: 22%
$349: 9%
$399: 11%
$499: 7%
$599: 3%
>$599: 3%

So at current prices only 13%.

http://betanews.com/2012/08/14/how-m...osoft-surface/
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 08:33 AM
Digital Sage

post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 08:48 AM
Member #1

FWIW, I am looking at getting another tablet for the house this Christmas so I am considering whether to get another iPad, an iPad Mini, a Nexus 7 or a Windows tablet.

The thing that surprises me the most is the high cost. I really expected the Surface to be $50 to $100 cheaper than the iPad. $719 (for the device and cover) just seems really overpriced but I am reserving judgement until I can actually play with one of these devices.

IN reviewing the specs, however, I still can't my head around the following:

Quote:
Resolution: 1366 x768
Touch: 5-point multi-touch
The resolution is iPad 2 level resolution so the truer price comparison is the iPad2 at $419.

Also I thought the iPad had 10 point touch? Not sure how much this comes into play for the average user but it may be significant in touch typing applications.

and

Quote:
Some features aren't included in Windows RT:
Windows Media Player
Windows Media Center
I know Media Player will be available from the Windows store but really? The fact that a media player does not come stock from the device really is suspicious.

Frankly, I don't want to have to buy a tablet and then potentially have to spend hours installing, troubleshooting and tweaking Windows software.

Maybe the install will be seamless but, if so, why not have it factory installed?

Finally

Quote:
Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview and the final version are not for use in commercial, nonprofit, or revenue generating activities. Commercial license options available (sold separately).
What the hell does that mean? If I write a story that gets published does it suddenly mean I have to pay for Office? If you take work from home and work on it, do you have to buy Office RT?

How does MS control what is commercial and what is home use?

post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 11:21 AM
Veteran

No they didn't.

This happened for a very short period of time.

As of this minute, the Canadian site shows Shipping date by Oct. 26 and delivery by Oct. 30 for all models.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft intentionally limited available units at launch to create hype.
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-10-17, 11:30 AM
Veteran

The other thing I just read on a very reputable tech news site is that Windows RT will take up to 10 GB of space on the tablet!!!

That's ridiculous. No wonder they don't make a 16 GB model. I keep reading about comparisons being made between the price of the Surface at 32GB and the price of a base iPad, which carries 16 GB.

I wonder how many people know that even with a 32GB tablet, they will only have approx. 20 GB of usable storage space available to them...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in