iOS 6 maps app vs Google Maps - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 02:29 PM
Veteran

A global cloud based mapping system can never be improved to match the leader with just a few thousand testers, no matter how long you develop it.
You and a few others may be under the impression, that the skies are falling (especially looking at 3D screenshots at tumblr ), but that's how it is on every major Apple phone release. The iPhone 4 wasn't good enough for making phone calls, according to the same type of blogosphere hype, but we all know what happened in the boring real world. Besides, I am kind of underwhelmed by the number of reported issues on that website - if they decided to do the same for Google Maps bugs, riding a similar hype wave, they would have hundreds of times more artifacts in that collection - simply because of the sheer amount of users of Google Maps, not because they are worse than Apple's.
I myself am pretty calm about it. All seems good in good ole Calgary, and the Apple app actually suggested a very interesting alternate route for my commute, which neither Google, nor the other 4 navigation products I've tried had previously suggested. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 09:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Really? You have a copy of the contract between Google and Apple? Has Apple made a statement that they were restricted from doing the above? Citations please.
Well, I do know that as a developer, I was not allowed to use Google map data for navigation. I can't see why Google would allow Apple to and eliminate a competitive advantage.

http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-22, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Oh, I know that Google restricts the use of Google Maps data for navigation with their public license, but I'd be shocked if Apple couldn't get a better deal with that, especially when they have a pretty good bargaining position (e.g. switch to Bing as a default search provider if Google doesn't play ball).

If Apple was taking advantage of all the tech that Google was offering, why didn't they do that a couple years ago when Google offered vector maps? That's a good example of an area that Apple could have supported the newer/better tech, but instead chose to "do nothing" with their maps app in iOS 5.

The point in my earlier post was that people were stating in a matter-of-fact way that Google was preventing Apple from updating their maps app. I'm saying that there is no evidence of this, and there is more evidence that Apple was just choosing not to upgrade their maps app to support newer the tech from Google.

What is more likely is that Apple chose not to upgrade their maps app in iOS 4 or 5 because the plans were already in place to move off Google's maps back-end, and the downgrade from iOS 5 maps --> iOS 6 maps would have been even worse for iOS users if the iOS 5 maps app was actually using all the latest capabilities from Google.

At least now Apple can say "hey, look at all the vector graphics and 3D buildings and navigation - you didn't have that before on iOS 5, even if the map data in iOS 5 was better".

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 01:52 PM

I just tried the iOS 6 map for the first time. I entered our postal code V0R1N2 in Cowichan Bay. Te iOS 6 map placed it in Nanaimo, a one hour drive from here!

EDIT: Correction. The "pin" is actually in a wooded area only about 10 minutes north of our house.

But the pin is labeled "Nanaimo", i.e., an hour north of here.

"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-28, 07:40 PM
Veteran

post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-28, 08:07 PM

I'm actually quite impressed. I sort of expected another "you're holding it wrong" type response. Owning up to their flaws isn't something Apple always does well, but in this case I think they deserve a lot of respect for acknowledging the problem and pledging to fix it.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-28, 08:11 PM
Veteran

Absolutely I found it very surprising but also probably shows how bad the publicity has been.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-29, 12:31 PM
Veteran

I also was impressed at the acknowledgement, and manning up to the issue. Interesting to site competitors apps as alternatives, that can't be good for morale on the inside but it will be interesting how that plays out for all the Apple fans. Will they finally let it go and give them time to build things up?
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-09-29, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

This is hardly the first time that Apple has apologized for services "not making the grade". If I recall, Apple made similar apologies about Mobile Me and Ping.

Sure, we may often first get comments like "your holding it wrong", but the apology will eventually follow if there was indeed a real issue.

While iOS 6 maps really sucks right now, I think it'll eventually win over the iOS crowd (like Mobile Me and Ping never did). Why? Because maps are a necessity these days, and iOS doesn't allow you to set 3rd party programs as the default app to handle certain types of requests.
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 03:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
All seems good in good ole Calgary,
Go north a bit to Airdrie. It shows me driving through houses in the row next to our house when I'm driving on our street. When taking the ramp off Deerfoot, the map shows me in the field.

But beside accuracy, I find the map hard to see while driving because of poor contrast. Can't always see the streets from the driver's seat. With the morning commute being in the dark now, the map doesn't have night and day modes. So the map is just way too bright in the car.

On the funny side, just look at the Apple maps icon. Going on the overpass and then jump off onto the 280 highway.
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 04:14 PM
Veteran

These are GPS issues you are having, nothing to do with the maps. When the navigation software receives a GPS signal that places you in the field rather than on the road, it can do 2 things - either place you exactly on the spot where the GPS says (the field), or assume that you are driving on the nearest road. The latter may not necessarily be on the actual road you are on, so it's not exactly the better solution. I've had those issues with all navigation softwares I have (starting with the Google based former maps), they all work much better when the iPhone is plugged into the Magellan car dock I have, which feeds the iPhone with more accurate GPS data from its more powerful GPS receiver.

The more I'm reading about this, the more tired and annoyed I am. If somehow every phone owner in the world, on one particular day (like Sep 21 2012, when iOS6 was released) ganged up on Google Maps and decided to publish all the problems they've had with it, the servers wouldn't stand the load. Apple Maps is doing actually quite well with the crybaby assault.
post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

... except that people were contrasting all the iOS maps issues with Google Maps screenshots of the same region. So they were both being judged together. It's not like we were seeing a lot of issues with Google Maps that don't exist in Apple's mapping solution.

I don't think anyone calling Apple's mapping effort immature is exaggerating at all. Even Tim Cook agrees.

I'm sure in the absence of Google Maps or Nokia Maps, Apple's Maps would look great! The problem is that there are better solutions out there and, when Apple's solution is compared to them it is lackluster when it comes to the actual contents of the maps as well as missing features of the maps that have been enumerated many times now.

As someone who has both a Android 4.1 device and iOS 6 devices, let me assure you that Android is far more feature rich (and content rich).
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 04:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
... except that people were contrasting all the iOS maps issues with Google Maps screenshots of the same region. So they were both being judged together. It's not like we were seeing a lot of issues with Google Maps that don't exist in Apple's mapping solution.
So, you are seriously thinking that if people had the current Apple Maps for 5 years and now switched en masse to Google Maps, there wouldn't be enough complaints to overflow a few tumblr websites?
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think anyone calling Apple's mapping effort immature is exaggerating at all. Even Tim Cook agrees.
If you are talking about his excuse, I didn't see anywhere the word "immature" in it. He took billions in current and future revenue from Google in a blink of an eye, and one public apology is a real bargain price for that.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 05:04 PM
Veteran

Sheesh... Going to call me a cry baby now for my first post here?

I don't care if it's a map issue or a navigation software issue, it's all coming from one app. And to get to my work, the app is suggesting a U-turn on Memorial Dr which is illegal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in