NFC payment systems in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

NFC payment systems in Canada

I was listening to a podcast the other day with someone from across the pond. He was saying these Paypass terminals that are at superstore and tim hortons are a sort of NFC. Is there anyway to input your CC info into your cell phone and use it at these pay stations today? If not, what is the missing component?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 12:41 PM

Google Wallet is a good example of this technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Wallet

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
I was listening to a podcast the other day with someone from across the pond. He was saying these Paypass terminals that are at superstore and tim hortons are a sort of NFC. Is there anyway to input your CC info into your cell phone and use it at these pay stations today? If not, what is the missing component?
I think the missing component is that Blackberry (or insert your phone or phone OS maker), Rogers/Bell/Telus and the banks are all greedy and all want to take the biggest slice of the revenue from this service. The easiest way to pay with your smartphone using NFC today is to cut the NFC chip from your credit card and tape it to your smartphone.
DeValera likes this.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah right, nice try.

*edit* google found me this. http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...mobile/paypass

oh wait, you don't have to cut and tape just order from this link LOL! A good solution for NFC less iPhone users! ;-)

Here are the instructions from Mastercard.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/paypass...ngstarted.html
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 12:54 AM

I'm sure that the carriers and handset manufacturers would love to be making money on the deal, but they have limited abilities to stop banks or other third parties from releasing NFC payment apps without their involvement. I don't think they're the holdup.

The problem is negotiations between banks and credit card companies with retailers, who pay fees for these transactions. In addition, someone has to pay for the roll-out of equipment that will accept these kinds of transactions.

I'd bet that by the middle of next year, if you live in a major Canadian city, you'll start seeing NFC payment terminals popping up all over, if you're not already. Whether your bank or credit card company is ready to start enabling you to make use of that technology is another matter.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Are there NFC payment apps to interface with Paypass terminals?
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:15 PM

Not that I'm aware of. All I see on the Play Store is an app to locate PayPass equipped merchants. I'm sure Mastercard is working on something though.

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:51 PM
Veteran

Google Wallet used to be an option when they were still giving out prepaid cards (I used it on a Galaxy Nexus for a bit). The main problem is that you can't enter a Canadian credit card. Now that they've dropped the Google prepaid cards, AFAIK there is no way to have a working Google Wallet account in Canada.

(Even before they discontinued this, you still had to trick the Play store into thinking you were on a US carrier to download the app).
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 09:15 AM

Back in May, Rogers and CIBC announced a plan to launch NFC payments later on this year.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...ets-in-canada/
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 10:05 AM
Veteran

I don't understand why Rogers (or any other carrier) should be involved with this. Paying with NFC does not use their network, it just needs a certain type of hardware and a credit or debit card. It would even work if you didn't have a data or voice plan enabled on your smartphone, wouldn't it?
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I would think so as well. If you follow that Mastercard link in my above posts the banner says it is currently testing and to check back often. Looks like something is brewing and quickly. From the comments in the financial post link:

"Rogers will charge a flat-rate “rent” for a customer’s CIBC credentials to be stored on their SIM card"

This sounds dumb and unnecessary. So does this mean if my phone is hacked and my CC info stolen that Rogers is on the hook? (no pun intended)
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 11:16 AM

From the sounds of things, it will encrypt your credentials in the SIM, making it much harder for it to be compromised by an external source. This is definitely not necessary (see Google Wallet) but it's also not necessarily a bad thing, depending on the price Rogers charges and who pays it. My biggest concern is that I don't want all the carriers to have different systems, and constantly be waiting for one to catch up.

I'm hopeful that a solution from Visa or Mastercard will be carrier and bank independent. Ideally we would simply get a Google Wallet launch up here, but that seems unlikely.

post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-10, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Just saw on crackberry.com partnership with CIBC, Rogers, and RIM to offer NFC payments on two NFC Blackberry handsets (Bold 9900 or Curve 9360) Announcement coming October 15th. Too bad the handsets I have no interest in. Nice to see the tip of the iceberg though. (so much for an independent roll out though)
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-14, 09:46 AM

In my job I sell smart cards, readers and other products like that. Programming of the NFC chip should not have anything to do with carrier. Cell network is not used in transactions so I see it as app programming or actually 2 minute programming on behalf of Visa or Master or Amex card provider. Meaning if somebody has TD Visa should be able to go to TD branch and get cell phone programmed at the spot.
Unless there is some other wireless based banking service involved there is nothing for cell phone carrier to do. Not only that, I would not give them MY Blackberry to program MY credit card credentials inside. It is outright wrong.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-14, 01:19 PM
Veteran

This NFC payment initiative is coming out tomorrow as j0dest3r points out above. To use this you will need a new SIM card from Rogers, a CIBC card or two and one of the right phones.

Tags
nfc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in