NFC payment systems in Canada - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-13, 08:53 AM

Rogers customers can change the way they pay with the launch of the suretap(TM) wallet

Rogers announced it has launched its suretap wallet, a new application that lets its customers use their Android and BlackBerry smartphones to make payments at tens of thousands of retailers across the country.

Customers can add multiple cards to their suretap wallet including a Rogers Prepaid MasterCard that can be topped up with funds for mobile payments. Also available for purchase are gift cards from leading Canadian food and beverage merchants and retailers including Swiss Chalet, Milestones Grill and Bar, Montana's Cookhouse, Harvey's, Kelsey's, Indigo, Earls Restaurants, Ardene, and Spafinder Wellness 365. In the future, the suretap wallet application will offer more retailer gift cards, as well as store loyalty cards, coupons and ID cards.

Customers can have the peace of mind that their payment information and passcodes are securely stored on the suretap wallet's SIM card. The wallet is backed by technology that lets customers make payments anywhere in the world that contactless payments are accepted. For merchants and retailers, accepting mobile payments with the suretap wallet means no additional or new fees.

To learn more about the suretap application including suretap-ready devices and the features and functionality of the wallet, visit www.rogers.com/suretap.

suretap ready devices
Samsung Galaxy Note 3™
Samsung Galaxy Note II™
Samsung Galaxy S4™
Samsung Galaxy S III™
Samsung GALAXY S5
HTC One™
LG G2
LG Optimus G
BlackBerry® Z10
More devices coming soon

You also need a suretap LTE SIM card.

Where Can I Use It?

Only stores or merchants who have a contactless point of sale (POS) terminal can support suretap mobile payments. Any terminal that accepts MasterCard PayPass or VISA payWave will also support suretap transactions.

If the merchants POS terminal doesn't support contactless transactions, or if your payment is more than $100, another method of payment will be required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-14, 10:24 AM
Veteran

I have tried twice to active the Rogers Suretap wallet on my Galaxy S III. Both times, at the end of the process it tells me that my devices is not compatible.

After the second tried, I let the phone sit with the message on the screen while typing this message. It is now showing a message that "Unfortunately, suretap walled has stopped."

Is this ready for use????

P.S. - I do have NFC turned on.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-14, 11:42 AM

Do you have a suretap LTE SIM card?

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-15, 09:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Do you have a suretap LTE SIM card?
Yeah, I missed that....thanks!

Going to try to stop by a Rogers store and get one tonight.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-15, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Got the SIM, it is installed and working.

Tried to set up the suretap app, and that was a waste of time! The only card it will accept is the Rogers Mastercard.

I have a Mastercard. I don't need or want another. I want to use my existing Mastercard. That is not allowed at this time!

Is this a play to get more Rogers' Mastercards distributed?

I thought this was going to be useful....
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-15, 02:11 PM

If you read the description for the app, it clearly indicates it only supports the Rogers prepaid mastercard along with a few gift cards only at this time.

If you're a CIBC customer, CIBC mastercards are supported as well via a separate app.
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-21, 05:36 PM
Veteran

Some interesting questions...

For some, there might be some confusion about NFC in the battery (like it is in my GSIII) vs. the Suretap SIM....

And will both NFC's operate without interfering with each other?

And is it the banking app that enables / disables the SIM NFC?

I currently turn on the battery's NFC when checking my Presto transit card balance (which works well by the way), then turn it off to conserve power.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-21, 06:05 PM

The battery itself has NFC? What? I'm confused.

As for the SIM card, you just need an NFC compatible card for the payments app to work. The NFC antenna isn't in the card, it's in the phone. This is why only phones with NFC will work.
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-21, 11:05 PM

The NFC sim does not have an NFC radio its simply a secure element that stores your payment credentials in an encrypted format that is not supported on regular SIM cards.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-22, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Correction: the ANTENNA for NFC is in the battery...

Apologies for the confusion.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Anyone know how long until they support other credit cards, such as Mastercard?
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-04-23, 02:41 PM

It doesn't work like that. Each bank would have to release their own app for their own card or partner up with someone like Rogers to get their card supported in something like Suretap.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-06-18, 01:04 PM

CIBC Mobile Payment App Expanding to Bell Smartphones

CIBC and Bell today announced an agreement to launch the CIBC Mobile Payment App on Bell smartphones in the coming weeks.

Protected by multiple passcodes and with information stored safely on the smartphone's encrypted NFC SIM card, mobile payments are a secure way to make everyday purchases. Mobile payments using NFC (near field communications) technology are already accepted at thousands of popular retailers across Canada for purchases under $100.

The CIBC Mobile Payment App will be available to Bell Mobility customers for free download in the coming weeks from Google Play and BlackBerry World. CIBC clients will be able to use the app on the following devices:

Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC One (M7), BlackBerry Q10, BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Bold 9900.

For more information, please visit cibc.com/mobile or Bell.ca/MobilePayments.

Full Press Release.

Just a reminder that you have to get a Bell NFC SIM card before the app will work.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 11:00 PM
Rookie

I'm not totally sold on the idea considering it's pretty quick to just use Visa Pay Wave or MasterCard Pay Pass, or even Interac Flash, so not sure why I'd want to have to pull out the phone and navigate to the app every time. I can't really stop carrying the physical cards, since if my phone battery ever died I'd be SOL.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-06-20, 01:31 AM

I'm sure opening the app will be as easy as tapping the icon.

There are times I'd like to go out and leave my wallet at home. Having payment functionality on my BlackBerry would be handy.

Tags
nfc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in