NFC payment systems in Canada - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-11-10, 07:16 PM
Veteran

On the one hand, Android and Blackberry support NFC (though Blackberry doesn't really matter anymore).

But on the other hand, Android, Microsoft and Apple all support Bluetooth LE. Now we're talking 98% of smartphones including the coveted iOS segment known to spend more despite smaller marketshare of handsets.

If I were a retailer, I'd be pretty excited about a payment system that didn't have to kick a few points to the cellular cartel...especially if that system allowed me to completely rethink marketing and promotional strategies.

Enstream is the old boys club trying to muscle in and steal profits even thought they add no value....digital mobsters if you will. IMHO, they have no credibility and are anti-consumer. Here's an article with a different perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-11-10, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
On the one hand, Android and Blackberry support NFC (though Blackberry doesn't really matter anymore).
Your anti-BlackBerry bias is showing again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
But on the other hand, Android, Microsoft and Apple all support Bluetooth LE.
You left out BlackBerry.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 08:53 AM

RBC Wallet now available

RBC Wallet now available: First Mobile Solution to provide Canadians with the Choice of Debit or Credit

The RBC Wallet, powered by RBC Secure Cloud, is now available, enabling RBC Mobile clients to purchase goods and services with their RBC Interac Debit or Visa credit cards using their Bell Mobility Android smartphone.

"We are excited to bring the RBC Wallet to RBC and Bell Mobility clients," said Dave McKay, group head, Personal & Commercial Banking, RBC. "Our vision is for the RBC Wallet to work on all phones, with all carriers, and include value-added services and solutions - all safely secured in RBC Secure Cloud. As technology is rapidly changing, we chose a phased approach, enabling us to bring this exciting new technology to a portion of our clients right now, with many enhancements to follow."

The RBC Wallet powered by RBC Secure Cloud is currently available to RBC clients who have a Samsung Galaxy S III or Samsung Galaxy S4, some of the most widely adopted Near Field Communication (NFC) enabled smartphones, operating on the Bell network, and have an upgraded NFC-enabled SIM card.

The RBC Wallet offers added security and protection as client payment information, including card details, is stored virtually within RBC Secure Cloud and not on the phone. Furthermore, payments made with the RBC Wallet are protected by the RBC Online Banking Security Guarantee. To download, visit the App Store, text "RBC" to 722722 or visit www.rbc.com/securecloud. The RBC Wallet will be adding MasterCard and be available on more devices in the spring of 2014.

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 09:51 AM

US carriers also want to make the iPhone (old models for now) NFC-capable by using special cases...
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Leake...r-Isis_id51664
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 12:13 PM
Veteran

Why should it be only Bell customers? Does Bell play some part in this? I'd have thought it would be between the bank and cell phone app.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Blackberry has a similar special deal with Rogers and CIBC. Or at least they did. Who knows if it's still an option or not. I was considering setting it up on my work BB.

I see they have also expanded to other handsets.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Does Bell play some part in this?
The provider's SIM card provides the secure element necessary to ensure security for these systems. Alternatives are coming, but for now support from the providers is considered necessary.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Blackberry has a similar special deal with Rogers and CIBC. Or at least they did. Who knows if it's still an option or not.
Why wouldn't it be?

I'm with BMO who so far seems to be absent from the mobile payment game.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Why wouldn't it be?

Because everyone and their dog is trying to distance themselves from Blackberry that's why.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Still feels like a solution without a problem....now I have a debit/credit card whose battery runs flat once in a while?

I still need to carry a wallet with cash/ID, etc, so what's the upside?
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 08:07 PM

Carry fewer cards, mostly. In the fashion world, slim and minimalistic wallets are huge right now, which is what is driving the push to adopt more mobile equivalents.

In recent months I've abandoned every rewards card which I can't carry on my phone, and I only carry a single credit card now. Having already converted my Starbucks, CAA, and library cards to digital versions on my phone, I'm now down to my driver's license, health card, metropass, presto card, bank card, and credit card. It's only a matter of time before I can convert my transit cards as well (presto is already coming soon, supposedly) and if I can pay for things using my phone I wouldn't need to carry both debit and credit cards everywhere, I'd just bring one or the other. That would leave me with just three cards, along with cash.

Fashion aside, the less stuff I have to carry with me everywhere, the better.

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 09:36 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I get PC Points when I use my Presidents Choice Master Card. I often use those points to get $20 or more off my grocery bill. When I can get those points by using my phone, I guess I'll switch.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-23, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Carry fewer cards, mostly. In the fashion world, slim and minimalistic wallets are huge right now, which is what is driving the push to adopt more mobile equivalents.
There you have it....a solution without a problem....which is doomed to fail unless something changes.
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-23, 02:34 PM

I disagree. I carry a single Visa card, but there are rare occasions in which I would prefer to use a different credit card. If I could carry those on my phone, I would have access to them on those rare occasions without needing to carry them with me, which I refuse to do.

There are other situations where I could see it being useful too. When I go for a run, I bring my phone but not my wallet. If I could pay for things with my phone, I could stop for a smoothie on my way back, on impulse. Also, while this is extremely rare, I have in the past forgotten my wallet, or forgotten my credit card at home. I know a couple of people who do this all the time.

For now, I'd insist on carrying my bank card still, but in a decade, if the wireless payment infrastructure has become standardized, I could see myself leaving that behind as well. I don't know about you, but my phone hasn't fully died on me in a long, long time. There was a time when I couldn't imagine leaving my Starbucks card at home, even though I could pay with the app, but that changed. I see no reason why my credit card wouldn't be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
When I can get those points by using my phone, I guess I'll switch.
If/when PC supports it, I would expect it to come with all the same rewards as your plastic card.

post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 2014-01-23, 05:16 PM
Premium Supporter

It seems that wallets are getting smaller while phones (phablets?) are getting bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George_Costanza_Wallet.jpg (30.0 KB, 57 views) File Type: jpg Women_holding_Galaxy_Note_phablets.jpg (26.6 KB, 58 views)

Tags
nfc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in