NFC payment systems in Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-14, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I hope the make more phones compatible quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackP View Post
Unless there is some other wireless based banking service involved there is nothing for cell phone carrier to do.
Sure there is. Someone needs to provide in person support. Do you expect bank tellers to help people when they have problems using their phones to pay for things, or even explain to them how it works to begin with? The people whose job it is to know and support cell phones and be familiar with various smartphone platforms make far more sense to offer that support.

Also, if you pre-load the app on devices and advertise in the store where people buy their devices, I'd bet adoption rates will be much higher than if you don't.

I don't like it this way; I'd prefer to simply download a VISA paywave app off the Google Play Store and load up my info myself, and I really hope that becomes an option at some point. However, I'm the kind of person who would want to do that just because I can, and I bet I'm the minority.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 06:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I don't like it this way; I'd prefer to simply download a VISA paywave app off the Google Play Store and load up my info myself, and I really hope that becomes an option at some point. However, I'm the kind of person who would want to do that just because I can, and I bet I'm the minority.
I think we all would prefer that as it would make it much easier to change your payment source from one CC to another or even to debit cards or Paypal. But there's the rub, you are, potentially, cutting banks out of the equation as well and they won't like that. They might send the bank cops after you (paraphrased WKRP reference).

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-20, 09:21 AM
Rookie

nothing yet

"Here are the instructions from Mastercard.
www mastercard.com/us/paypass/phonetrial/gettingstarted.html"

Oct.'12; No info there at the moment.
Summarized; You need your local bank or carrier supporting nfc payments.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 09:57 AM

It looks like there will be a common Canadian gateway and standardized NFC technology on cell phones, managed by the wireless carriers. EnStream LP is a joint venture of Bell, Rogers and Telus. Sasktel and MTS will also be participating.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1056...ents-in-canada
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Wow thanks for sharing that link!

"We're proud that Canada will be one of the first countries in the world to make a shared gateway available to accelerate the adoption of this technology, thanks to the capital commitments and technological capabilities of Canada's wireless carriers."

Is this a Canadian first? Will be interesting once this is all up and running to see if the carriers from down south come knocking on the doors of the carriers up here to ask how did you do this and can you help us?
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 12:24 PM
Veteran

It seems like they have a very aggressive timeline:
Quote:
EnStream expects that its infrastructure to connect financial institutions and wireless carriers for the secure deployment and management of financial and other credentials will be operational by year-end.
And speaking of NFC payments - the CIBC/Rogers initiative was supposed to go live last week. But when I go to the BB App World (or to CIBC's Mobile Banking web page) I don't see the CIBC Mobile Payments App - it still says that it is coming later this year.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-10-22, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
Is this a Canadian first? Will be interesting once this is all up and running to see if the carriers from down south come knocking on the doors of the carriers up here to ask how did you do this and can you help us?
Not really. The Canadian carriers came together to build Zoompass, which actually won considerable critical acclaim and experienced moderate success early in the smartphone explosion, but then faded out of view. I'm not sure why they abandoned it, and why they didn't attempt to leverage the existing Zoompass infrastructure for NFC systems.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-11-02, 01:58 PM

CIBC and Rogers complete the first mobile credit card transaction in Canada

Quote:
The new mobile payments capability from CIBC and Rogers means clients will be able to pay with their CIBC credit card, whether Visa or MasterCard, without retrieving the plastic card from their wallet or purse. They can simply hold their Rogers BlackBerry® smartphone up to a contactless payment terminal and the payment will be automatically charged to their CIBC credit card. The CIBC Mobile Payment App will be accepted at the tens of thousands of Visa payWave™ and MasterCard PayPass™ contactless terminals across Canada and around the world.

As the rollout to clients begins, the new CIBC Mobile Payment App will initially be available on two smartphones on the Rogers wireless network - the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 and BlackBerry® Curve™9360, beginning November 16th 2012. As of today, NFC SIM cards required to access the solution on Rogers suretap™ ready devices can be ordered online. Additional suretap-ready devices will support the solution in 2013, including Android and Windows Phone 8 platforms, broadening the offer to more Canadians.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1063...tion-in-canada
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-11-03, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Great news for NFC and it looks like Android and Windows phones will also be included in 2013.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-03-21, 08:28 AM

suretap expands to Android and BlackBerry 10 models

suretap ready devices certified by MasterCard and Visa as secure and ready for mobile payment solutions on Android and BlackBerry 10 operating systems

Quote:
Rogers Communications announced today the certification of its suretap service for the Android and BlackBerry 10 operating systems. The certification allows credentials issuers including banks, loyalty and reward programs to develop mobile payment solutions for Android and BlackBerry 10 devices that leverage the secure SIM card in an NFC-enabled device.
Quote:
Suretap ready devices now certified as ready to support new mobile payment applications that accept MasterCard and Visa credit cards include:

• BlackBerry Bold™ 9900, BlackBerry Curve™ 9360, BlackBerry Bold™ 9790 and BlackBerry Z10 models
• LG Optimus G
• Samsung Galaxy S III and Note II models
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-03-21, 08:52 AM
Veteran

suretap expands to Android and BlackBerry 10 models

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III. Just checked the Play store, and no sign of a suretap application from Rogers.

I assume the application will come from bank/credit card company?

Checked the link in the previous message, and followed a link in that article to the Rogers website. That website states that it only works for CIBC VISA cards, and only for Blackberry devices - in other words, the page needs to be updated.
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-03-21, 09:14 AM

rfielder, I think you're reading too much into the press release:

Quote:
allows ... banks ... to develop mobile payment solutions for Android and BlackBerry 10 devices
Quote:
devices now certified as ready to support new mobile payment applications that accept MasterCard and Visa credit cards
Nothing in the press release says that CIBC or any other bank has developed new apps yet.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-03-22, 09:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Nothing in the press release says that CIBC or any other bank has developed new apps yet.
You mean I gotta wait????
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 2013-11-07, 09:44 AM

Highlights from the press release: Rogers to deliver first mobile wallet from Canadian carrier

Rogers announced today that its suretap™ wallet, the first mobile wallet from a carrier in Canada, will be available to customers in the coming weeks. suretap™ wallet will be available on select NFC-enabled smartphones and will offer a co-branded virtual Rogers Prepaid MasterCard and gift cards from select national retailers as the first cards available for download.

Rogers has entered into various strategic relationships within the mobile payment industry, including officially joining forces with MasterCard Canada through a multi-year strategic agreement to support innovation and drive adoption of mobile payments technology across Canada. Through these initiatives, customers who download the suretap Wallet™ will have the ability to add a co-branded virtual Rogers Prepaid MasterCard that can be loaded with funds to use at their favourite retailers across Canada.

The suretap™ wallet will deliver a secure mobile payment experience, safely storing payment card information and passcodes on the secure SIM card in select NFC-enabled smartphones. Customers will have access to additional features within the suretap™ wallet including gifting of gift cards, reloading of prepaid cards, the ability to check account balances, view recent transactions and use location services to find contactless payment terminals nearby. In the near future, additional cards will become available for download including payment cards from multiple banks and payment networks and loyalty cards.

suretap™ wallet will be available for download in the coming weeks on select Android and BlackBerry devices. To learn more about the suretap™services, compatible devices and to order a suretap-ready SIM Card, visit www.rogers.com/suretap.

My comments: Now that Rogers owns a bank, it's able to issue it's own Prepaid MasterCard and access MasterCard PayPass POS terminals that support NFC transactions. Retailers usually require a signature for purchases over $50.

Tags
nfc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in