Apple announces Iphone 5 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:53 PM

I believe the Big 3 mostly include tethering on post-paid data plans as long as your data allotment is above a certain level (usually 500 MB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
To charge and sync your iPhone 5 you only need one cable, which comes with the phone. All Apple wall chargers have a standard USB out on the other side, in which you can plug any cable you want.
That only works if you want to carry that cable with you at all times, which isn't necessarily practical. If you want to keep a charge cable at work, or in your car, or at the cottage, you will need to buy a new one, or an adapter. That also doesn't consider all the various speaker docks people have acquired over the years. And if you lose that one cable, you can't use your phone until you get a new one.

I know several people with iPhones and they all have several cables.

Quote:
The $160 difference between an iPhone 5 and and an Android Samsung on 3 year contract is also nothing compared to the total financial commitment for such a long term
I agree completely. Over the course of your contract, you would be saving an average of less than 4.50/month. Would you pay an extra $4/month for an iPhone over the Galaxy S III? If the answer is yes, then you shouldn't even think twice about the $160.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Don't you need to just buy one adapter and carry that with you? All 30 pin legacy cables, docks and devices just plug into that adapter. Am I missing something?
post #78 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 05:10 PM
Veteran

I think what some people are worried about is having to carry the adapter with them. I personally don't think it is a big deal. Leave an adapter at work and keep the original lightning cord at home.

post #79 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Adapters can get lost.

Adapters are an extra cost. Not much, but it does add up.

It is one more thing to carry.

When dealing with anything like a dock, it may leave the phone resting on the adapter connection only. For example, clock radios or speaker systems.
post #80 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
rfielder, you should go and buy that Android device. If you are even considering Android, Apple is not your cup of tea.
I have two tablets that run Android.

For the sort of investment a new phone means - financial, contract years, and time actually using it - one would be remiss to just go out and buy it without considering the alternatives.

When I purchased the two iPhone 3Gs, the competition was nowhere near as close as they are now.

I am waiting to actually handle an iPhone 5. A Futureshop staff said they are getting some in on Friday, but he did not know if that included any demo units, or only preorder devices that will be going out the door.
post #81 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 08:47 AM
Veteran

There are many cars out there who claim iPod/iPhone compatibility, but their cable is a mix of USB and analog line-out connectors. Since the iPhone's new port doesn't have analog line out anymore, are those car owners screwed?
post #82 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 09:24 AM

just for the discusion . 4.50 per month to some is alot. thats almost the difference between 500mb (or 1gb) of data and 6gb of data. ($5.00 difference)
post #83 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 02:20 PM

So I picked up my black 32gb iPhone 5 today. I know there are a million reviews around the net so I will keep this short. The only reason I upgraded (from a 4S) is that my office pays for the upgrades and we get 12 month hardware upgrades. With that out of the way...

The phone feels great in my hand. Keeping it the same width was a good thing in my opinion. One handed use is the same as it was with my 4 even with the taller screen and more real estate. For the limited use I have had it with it I can say the apps do feel snappier. Obviously I am running iOS 6 (another thread) and the native apps are good.

The extra row of icons is nice but not that big a deal to me since I use many folders. My main use for the iPhone is texting, maps, email and logmein. I work in IT so having the latest greatest is a job requirement .

I bought a cheap case for the time being. There are many reports of the black version scuffing up quickly. I think they are referring to it as "scuff-gate". Mine out of the box was pristine and I keep my devices that way for the year I use them. I plan to pick up a Graft concepts case as soon as they update their matte line.

At this point I think the best item of this upgrade are the earpods. Yep you read that right "earpods". They IMHO sound fantastic. The only gripe I have is that the pod in my right ear tends to fall out. I guess Johnny Ive didn't get my ear measures correctly. I have been a big hater of apple ear buds and this was a pleasant surprise. The lightning connector is what it is...a new connector that will be causing grief in my opinion down the road. I can see them breaking fairly easily.

In the end after using the 5 I am fairly happy. Is it a major upgrade from the 4S? No certainly not. It is though a quality phone works as advertised so far. Anyone grab one yet and have any opinions? Any questions fee free to ask.
Thanks
post #84 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 03:10 PM
Veteran

How does it behave if you drop it?

And on a serious note, what do you mean by "scuffing"? Front, back? How?
post #85 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 04:41 PM

There are reports of the black model being easily scuff marked. If you google iphone 5 scuff marks or even scuff gate then you will find forums with people complaining.
post #86 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 06:46 PM

Quote:
MarcP

There are many cars out there who claim iPod/iPhone compatibility, but their cable is a mix of USB and analog line-out connectors. Since the iPhone's new port doesn't have analog line out anymore, are those car owners screwed?
I asked this to a GM rep on another forum and his reply was "what is your vin number so I can look into it for you"... I got the run around

I would love to know this to
post #87 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
On my older car (2007 Accord), the car provided an actual 30-pin dock connector in the glove box, so i'd be screwed in that case, but my 2011 and pretty much every one of the over 100 rentals I've had in the past three years have been a USB connection...in those cases you'd be OK since it's a digital connection being made.
post #88 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-22, 10:40 AM

Good morning. For what it's worth, I'd like to share my impressions on the new iphone 5 picked up yesterday at the Montreal Flagship Fido Store. And what a pain in whas, their registration system completed bogged down due to the overwhelming demand I suppose. I had spent the night waiting (shame on me) only to have the phone in hand by... 4 PM!!! I guess you can call me an Apple Fanboy.

I'll stick to the technical side as the rest probably got scratched to the bone.

- LTE speeds (at least in Longueuil Qc) are in the 15-25 Mbps down and... 20 Mbps up. Nice enough. Slingplayer now plays absolutely studder-free. Just like on the LAN!
- Latency pings went down from an average 170-340 ms to something between 60-85 ms. So that's pretty damned nice too for IP phone apps such as MagicJack.
- Phone conversation quality hasn't improved one bit (despite to the phone-via-LTE rumor. Perhaps Fido hasn't implemented that yet).
- Construction is the same quality built as the iphone 4S. A bit lighter. Now I wouldn't want that phone to be too light, I'd fear there's nothing inside!!!
- The extra row doesn't make one bit of difference.
- Screen rendering, especially white level is a bit better than previous. There's no yellow glue stains on that one. Can you imagine a manufacturer getting away with comments like "phones fly out the factory with not enough time for LCD glue to dry. Will over time-kind-of-thing"...? Remember that about the 4S?
- Interface browsing is absolutely the same as it ever was. If it wasn't, they'd make it so.
- Device tethering has somewhat improved in the sense that Apple has substianlly reduced TCP overhead between the iphone and connected device (such as Ipad). This means that the raw speed of the connected device is higher relative to the iphone LTE speed itself.
- Bottom connector slot is not as finicky as I thought. I think that with the proper adapter (will purchase from AppleStore) the iphone will stand firm on existing docks (such as the Bose Soundock 10 in which I have invested heavily.

Now mind you a lot of these coments are generic and would probably apply to the other broadband devices but since I also own a Galaxy SIII that I use at work to test VPN apps, I chose to keep them for the iphone 5. A nice little piece of equipment, certainly not the fastest but certainly the cleanest and most intuitive to use out there.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #89 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-26, 02:08 PM

Folks, I'll ask again that you not make this thread into Apple vs Android. Future such posts will be removed.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #90 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-10-05, 07:11 AM

Thumbs down iPhone 5 Rushed, an Epic Failure

Without a doubt, the long list of issues clearly indicate this phone should not have been put into the consumers hand. Do yourself a favor and avoid it!

Bad Maps (Massive failure, only 20% of Ontario is correct!)
Screen Flicker
Dents/Scratches right out of the box
Scuffgate
Reception issues
Poor battery life
Loose internal battery
Camera Flash Issue
WIFI Glitch leads to big Data usage

Wifi issue - http://ca.news.yahoo.com/iphone-5-wi...184650753.html

Google any of these items and you'll see all of the articles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in