Apple announces Iphone 5 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Wasn't this thread about the iPhone 5 announcement??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Every discussion about Apple becomes an iPhone vs. Android or Mac vs. PC argument. It's getting a bit old...

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #63 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper83 View Post
Every discussion about Apple becomes an iPhone vs. Android or Mac vs. PC argument. It's getting a bit old...
Sorry but it has to be about that. Apple released the Iphone 5 in response to competitors. Blackberry is failing because of how it compares to its competitors. And when Windows 8 is released, the same comparisons will be made to judge how good it is.

post #64 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 09:40 AM
Veteran

That is all well in good. However as another poster posted, a lot of the posts on this argument (iPhone vs Android) are made by Android users who could care less about owning an iPhone. I am sure there is a lot more android fanboys posting on the iPhone than there are iPhone fanboys posting on android. IMO, it is because iPhone users are too busy and happy using their phones than to waste time to comment on a system they could care less about. Lol

With all of the reports out it looks like the iPhone 5 will sell in record numbers.
post #65 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 09:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
rfielder - I am like you. I do like my Iphone 3gs and don't won't to shell out for new cables ect.
That is not quite what I meant.

My iPhone 3Gs is broken - 3G has not worked for a long time. My contract is up. I need a new phone, because I do use the data connection.

My point about the cables is that, by changing the connector, Apple has removed one of it's sales advantages for me. If I have to buy new cables for everything, that is one less thing holding me to the Apple camp.

The fact that the Android devices usually use a standard USB connector, one that I already have many cables for, helps to further muddy the waters.

Just discovered that Best Buy and Futureshop have the Samsung Galaxy S III 16Gb for $0.00 on a three year contract with Rogers. That is a LOT less than the price of an iPhone 5 on a three year contract. That really does not help the decision.

I do not mean to promote the Apple vs Android vs The Rest Of The World. I am pointing out that some of stuff that Apple has done with the iPhone 5 has weakened their chances of keeping me as a repeat customer.
post #66 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 10:58 AM

There is nothing written that you have to stay with one vs another. Go to the Rogers store and play with their offerings. Pick the one that suits your needs.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #67 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I read somewhere that 30% of people with Iphones are using damaged phones and these people are the ones most likely to upgrade to the newest phone.

Seems like a high percent. Perhaps people put the phone in their back pocket.
post #68 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 11:13 AM

imo its the all glass design. much easier to break then the "cheaper" feeling plastic designs used by competitors.

I swear my Galaxy s with gorrillia glass was bullet proof. it survived being launched from my hands half way down my stair case onto a tile kitchen aprox 15ft away (when i fell down the stairs lol) didnt even have a mark. If i had an all glass phone it would of been toast.

The iphone 5 seems to have corrected that so hopefully they will be more durable.
post #69 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 12:18 PM
Veteran

This brief article sums up the first reviews of the iPhone 5 by major media outlets.

I am not surprised at all: the reviews seem unanimous that it's a fantastic phone well worth the upgrade, especially for anyone (like me) owning an iPhone 4 or less.
post #70 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 12:25 PM
Veteran

rfielder, you should go and buy that Android device. If you are even considering Android, Apple is not your cup of tea.
To charge and sync your iPhone 5 you only need one cable, which comes with the phone. All Apple wall chargers have a standard USB out on the other side, in which you can plug any cable you want. The $160 difference between an iPhone 5 and and an Android Samsung on 3 year contract is also nothing compared to the total financial commitment for such a long term and the stress from switching the ecosystem. In my opinion, you have already made your choice and not exactly asking for advice, especially in an iPhone 5 announcement thread.
post #71 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 12:25 PM

its good for iphone people thats for sure. the screen is still a bit too small for my use though. But if youve got yourself an ipad + the iphone your pretty much set (minus the fact that most carriers wont let you tether.....)
post #72 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post
(minus the fact that most carriers wont let you tether.....)
This is not true, in Canada anyway. Most do let you tether. I tether all the time with Telus. I have friends on Rogers and Bell that also tether with their iPhones.
post #73 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Tethering is usually an add-on with most providers. I have Wind, tethering was included with my package.
post #74 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel101 View Post
I am sure there is a lot more android fanboys posting on the iPhone than there are iPhone fanboys posting on android.
That's not true at all, at least not here. With every major Apple or Android release the trolls come out from both sides, and it's not demonstrably worse from either. It's disappointing, to say the least.

However, there are also plenty of people who want to openly and honestly discuss these devices even if they don't intend to buy them. We don't require that you be interested in a device to talk about it, just that you follow the rules and, above all, respect other members.

The iPhone doesn't exist in a vacuum, it has competition and I feel like it's a worthwhile exercise to compare and contrast it to its competition. Whenever a new product is announced, smartphone or otherwise, the first things people seem to think are "do I want it" and "is there anything better". The problem is that many people seem to forget that so much of the comparison is entirely subjective. Treating subjective opinions as facts doesn't help further the conversation, and is typically where things go off the rails.

So talking about how you wish it has a bigger screen like [insert Android phone] because you've used said Android phone and like the screen real estate, or you wish Apple had added this or that because Android phones do this or that is fine. Saying that the iPhone 5 sucks because the screen is too small, or only fools will buy it because Android phones are so great, is not fine.

I hope people here understand the difference. The policy is, as it always has been, you can make relevant comparisons to the competition, but you cannot troll or steer the conversation away from the iPhone 5. Such posts will be removed.

If you have them, I'm happy to take questions or comments about this via PM or in the Member Feedback forum, but please limit this space to discussion on the iPhone 5

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #75 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Pretty much all recent plans include tethering now. I'll agree that for those considering an Android device, the iPhone 5 isn't for them.

One thing I am impressed though is how it seems to be doing in initial benchmarks. I can't wait to see what Anand has to say in his review of it, as their smartphone reviews are generally very good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in