Apple announces Iphone 5 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 01:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
I don't see how you can't recognize those advantages, since they're so obvious.
I have always recognized the advantage of a bigger screen for web browsing, that's why I use iPad 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 01:16 PM
Veteran

I also have a iPad 3, as well as multiple 30" monitors for my computer. I love large displays.

With that in mind, I want a smartphone with a display which is large enough that normal web pages are usable on it, while not being so large that I don't take it with me everywhere.

I think the ~4.5" smartphone display hits the mark here.
post #33 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I think the ~4.5" smartphone display hits the mark here.
I'm not saying that this is not the case, just that it's a choice based on how the manufacturer feels what their potential customers would prefer as a reasonable compromise against comfortably holding it in the hand. There are people with different hand size and finger length. If Apple felt that a 4.5'' display is really the sweet spot, they would have a 4.5'' display on the first iPhone back in 2007. Whatever the answer to this question is, bigger phone screens have nothing more advanced about them and the iPhone has nothing to "catch up" with.

post #34 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 02:14 PM

Is there any reason why Apple can't make 2 different sizes of the latest iPhone? Why not give customers a choice? Clearly with the high number of large-screen Android phones sold there is a market for these. They will soon be 2 sizes of the iPad after all.
post #35 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 02:35 PM
Rookie

The iPhone 5 is a good phone in its own respects but its not an android killer and it wont gain Apple much market share against android, however it will likely let them maintain what they have.

Its including things such as a larger screen and a 16:9 aspect ratio which have been available on Android and Windows Phone 7 phones for a longtime. Its processing power is twice that of the 4S bringing it in line with the Galaxy S3, HTC One X, Lumia 920, and most other high end phones.

The iPhone 5 offers an excellent screen in terms colour accuracy compared to the Galaxy S3 however the HTC One X offers excellent colour accuracy for people on the android side. Also phones such as the HTC Rezound and the Sony Xperia S offer 342 PPI which is higher then the iPhone however anything above 300 PPI it becomes difficult to compare pixel density with the naked eye.

It will do well with current Apple users wanting to upgrade, however it wont convert Android Users over, it will be a mixed bag on users who don't have a smartphone depending on their preference and personal needs.

Last edited by xmattx; 2012-09-13 at 02:54 PM.
post #36 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmattx View Post
It will do well with current Apple users wanting to upgrade, however it wont convert Android Users over, it will be a mixed bag on users who don't have a smartphone depending on their preference and personal needs.
Exactly. As there isn't really much that will steer current Android users away, Apple is going to have to work hard to get new users onboard. Now that Samsung and HTC have started running advertisements for their flagship phones, Apple won't be able to rely on advertising alone anymore.

I'm also thinking it would have been wise for Apple to have included the dock adapter in the box, as that is bound to cause some annoyances when they buy a speaker dock or other accessory and wonder why it won't work with their latest iPhone.
post #37 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 05:11 PM
Veteran

I like the new iPhone 5. I can't wait to get my hands in it. I think I will be upgrading my iPhone 4 now. I won't discuss all the android stuff as this thread is supposed to be about the iPhone 5.
post #38 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 05:24 PM

I want Apple to come out with a phone that will make my wife use it LESS not more...

We still have 21 months left on our present agreement,so we will be sticking with our 3GS's for a while. Our iPad 3 will be used for browsing..

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)
post #39 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 07:32 PM

Another point is that most people are on contract with penalties to early upgrade. In Canada it is 3 years, US 2. So is the iPhone 5 a phone that iPhone 3GS users will want to upgrade? So the question is will it sell?? Probably.

I have a iPhone 4 with 1 year left on Rogers and there is nothing to make me want to pay a penalty to upgrade. But after my 3 years are up, maybe the iPhone 5s or 6.

The iPhone is a phone. What makes it different is the iOS and app store.

So we will have to wait to see if Apple will go out of business again (proudly since 1984).

Disclaimer I am a Apple product Fanboy that drinks the Apple Kool aid. :-)
post #40 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 09:21 PM
Veteran

LOL

post #41 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-13, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Do we care if iPhone 5 gets Apple more market share? Does Apple care? They are expected to sell 30 million of them this year, and unlike Google, they make assloads of money selling the phones, accessories and apps. I'd put money on iPhone 5 handily outselling the Galaxy S3 and making boatloads of cash.
post #42 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 02:51 AM

Let's please avoid making this about Apple vs Android folks.

I think there is a strong case to be made that a large screen iPhone would be warmly received by a lot of people. The market suggests that a lot of people want 4.5-5 inch screens. Apple may well one day release a larger screen iPhone, but did anyone really think there was any chance of that happening now?

As far as the hardware goes, as mentioned I'm disappointed in the lack of NFC, and I actually kind of think this is by far the ugliest iPhone yet (I'm not a fan at all of the two-tone backing, and I don't like the way the camera is off centre both horizontally and vertically) and I think that the black version in particular looks way too much like a standard black slate phone from a distance. However, not only is that completely subjective, but aesthetics have never stopped me from buying a phone before.

As mentioned, I think the disappointment was the lack of a major improvement. The iPhone 4 brought the retina display. The 4S brought siri. What did the iPhone 5 bring beyond a minor amount of vertical space and a new dock system that will likely mean buying expensive new adapters for many people? LTE? That's been around n other devices for a long time now.

Between all the leaked hardware info and given that we already knew what iOS 6 was, I think we should have seen this coming. But I think everyone, myself included, was hoping Apple had a game changer under wraps that they would bring out here, because they always seem to have had one in the past.

It's still a good phone in my mind, and still a worthy investment, but I don't think it "changes everything, again". In fact, I don't think it really changes anything.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #43 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 07:36 AM
Veteran

I'm an Android guy. But I can't see why Apple people don't see the advantage of the Iphone 5. It finally got BIGGER. Maybe not as big as some others, but it got bigger. And if there's one thing an Iphone user might occasionally envy from his Android friend, it's probably the bigger screen.

In terms of disappointment, I read one reviewer who mentioned that maybe Apple needs to stop worrying about making a thinner, lighter device, and instead just pack in a bigger battery. The next evolution in smartphones is probably a battery that can last as long as your old simple cellphone, but still allow you to do all the powerful things your smartphone can do.
post #44 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 09:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
With that in mind, I want a smartphone with a display which is large enough that normal web pages are usable on it, while not being so large that I don't take it with me everywhere.
I got rid of my netbook because the 10" screen was not quite large enough to browse the web comfortably.

Trying to do so on any smartphone is an exercise in frustration. The small screen can not be the equal of a 12" or larger screen, regardless of the resolution. Web browsing on a smartphone must be considered a comprimise, and only a good thing when that is the only way of seeing the web.
post #45 of 114 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 10:58 AM

The new iPhone5 is faster, thinner, larger screen, higher colour saturation, 20% lighter, and longer batter life than its predecessor 4S. Solid improvements, but nothing "revolutionary". I still think Apple's leg up on the competition is it's app and itunes ecosystem.

NFC is not a selling feature for me, as I'm not sure where I can use it in Canada. Is this for making payments similar to the tap to pay credit cards?

However I believe the 4S is still such a good phone there is no immediate need to run out and upgrade to the iPhone5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in